HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Chicago Sports Teams Rankings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1456181)

ebox99 06-28-2013 03:32 PM

Chicago Sports Teams Rankings

Is there facts on how popular the blackhawks are compared with chicago's other teams?

how big is the gap between the bears, bulls, sox/cubs, hawks?

digdug41982 06-28-2013 03:36 PM

Bears

Cubs

Blackhawks

Bulls

Sox

ItsMyFault 06-28-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 68157013)
Bears

Cubs

Blackhawks

Bulls

Sox

Pretty much this. Bulls/Blackhawks change depending on who's winning. Cubs and Bears are by far the biggest though and nothing will change that.

IU Hawks fan 06-28-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 68157013)
Bears

Cubs

Blackhawks

Bulls

Sox

Oh please, gimme a friggen break. This is total nonsense and you know it.

To bring facts to the equation, game 4 of the 2005 World Series were about 30% higher than Game 6 on Monday.

Bears

Cubs

Sox

Bulls
Hawks

Still tons and tons of football and baseball only people. And anyone putting the Hawks ahead of the Bulls is kidding themselves. The Hawks draw nothing from the minority community, which should hardly be referred to as 'the minorities' when you consider their size.

Teemu 06-28-2013 04:53 PM

It's hard to say because people like to watch a winner, and right now the Hawks are winning. It's hard to say if the gains will be sustained when the current generation of players is gone. I'd say

Bears

Bulls

Blackhawks
Cubs

Sox

Although Chicago has a reputation as a baseball town, the sport's popularity here has been plummeting over the past few years.

ItsMyFault 06-28-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 68161507)
It's hard to say because people like to watch a winner, and right now the Hawks are winning. It's hard to say if the gains will be sustained when the current generation of players is gone. I'd say

Bears

Bulls

Blackhawks
Cubs

Sox

Although Chicago has a reputation as a baseball town, the sport's popularity here has been plummeting over the past few years.

Um no. The Bulls are not bigger than the Cubs. Give me a break... What makes the Cubs fan base so great is that it's still as big as it is even though they haven't won jack ****. It's the 3rd biggest fan base in MLB.

Hawks82 06-28-2013 05:28 PM

How it should be:

1.) Hawks
2.) Bears
3.) Bulls
4.) White Sox
5.) Cubs

Teemu 06-28-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsMyFault (Post 68162867)
Um no. The Bulls are not bigger than the Cubs. Give me a break... What makes the Cubs fan base so great is that it's still as big as it is even though they haven't won jack ****. It's the 3rd biggest fan base in MLB.

Hence why they had worse ratings than the White Sox last year.

hisgirlfriday 06-28-2013 05:38 PM

It depends on how you rank things.

For the past 3-4 years you see way way way more Blackhawks stuff on the street than you do Cubs/Sox/Bulls/Bears stuff. But I still don't think that means Blackhawks and hockey are necessarily more popular than the others except maybe the Bulls.

So much also depends on what part of the city/suburbs you're in and what your perception is of how popular the particular sports are.

Slvrbullet87 06-28-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday (Post 68164091)

For the past 3-4 years you see way way way more Blackhawks stuff on the street than you do Cubs/Sox/Bulls/Bears stuff. But I still don't think that means Blackhawks and hockey are necessarily more popular than the others except maybe the Bulls.

So much also depends on what part of the city/suburbs you're in and what your perception is of how popular the particular sports are.

Nothing will beat the Bears... Football is king and even after 25 years the Superbowl will still win out. This week the Blackhawks are the talk of the town but nothing will dethrone the Bears.... lets be honest

RomersWorld* 06-28-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 68159963)
Oh please, gimme a friggen break. This is total nonsense and you know it.

To bring facts to the equation, game 4 of the 2005 World Series were about 30% higher than Game 6 on Monday.

Bears

Cubs

Sox

Bulls
Hawks

Still tons and tons of football and baseball only people. And anyone putting the Hawks ahead of the Bulls is kidding themselves. The Hawks draw nothing from the minority community, which should hardly be referred to as 'the minorities' when you consider their size.

How can you even make this list with a straight face? Bulls are far more popular and have much more support.

My list:

Bears
Cubs
Bulls
Blackhawks
White Sox

I think the Hawks are moving on up the list for good with Rocky and McDonaugh at the helm.

The White Sox were like bottom 5 in attendance last year while in the middle of a division title race and were actually in 1st for most of the season. Baseball in general I feel like is losing popularity and not just because both teams suck(although it is a huge factor). With the future looking bleak for the White Sox, I can't help but think they are in a lot of trouble. Not saying the Fire will pass them but unless they right the ship and put a winning team out there they will be in big trouble.

Hawks have the hurdle if becoming mainstream and now their prices are insane to a casual fan. I can go to a Sox game for like $10 and get a free bobble head in the process. The Sox really need to draw in fans or something before it is too late. Hockey is simply more exciting at the game and on TV(especially with advances in HD) IMO. The only advantage baseball has is Americas Past Time(old people at home watching game because they like the pace), easier to understand(what is icing, derp), longer season, and times like now when there are no NHL, NBA, or NFL. The Hawks have to compete with the Bears at the beginning months, the Bulls basically all season, and the first couple months of Cubs/Sox(usually the only good part). That is a major hurdle to overcome but it is amazing both Bulls and Hawks are selling out like every game while basically competing against each other. I know I am a minority who likes the NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook 06-28-2013 06:30 PM

The Blackhawks have had much higher ratings than both baseball teams for a few years now, and they doubled the Bulls' TV ratings this season, for what it's worth.

ebox99 06-28-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook (Post 68166505)
The Blackhawks have had much higher ratings than both baseball teams for a few years now, and they doubled the Bulls' TV ratings this season, for what it's worth.

There has to be more stats and figures to show which teams are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I know the hawks outdrew bulls on TV this season.

How popular can they get? Have they peaked???

What are the ratings for the other teams in the playoffs.

Lets compare local ratings of WS, NBA Finals and Stanley Cup finals.

IU Hawks fan 06-28-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomersWorld (Post 68165087)
How can you even make this list with a straight face? Bulls are far more popular and have much more support.

My list:

Bears
Cubs
Bulls
Blackhawks
White Sox

I think the Hawks are moving on up the list for good with Rocky and McDonaugh at the helm.

The White Sox were like bottom 5 in attendance last year while in the middle of a division title race and were actually in 1st for most of the season. Baseball in general I feel like is losing popularity and not just because both teams suck(although it is a huge factor). With the future looking bleak for the White Sox, I can't help but think they are in a lot of trouble. Not saying the Fire will pass them but unless they right the ship and put a winning team out there they will be in big trouble.

Sox tickets were way overpriced. Team knows it...slashed prices. They're averaging 1,000 more per game this year with an absolutely god awful team.

The Bulls are the casual fan's winter diversion. They draw good ratings, but Bulls fans don't have the passion of the other teams and that's really easy to see. Go to a game and that is obvious...you're an outsider if you go to a Bulls game in Bulls gear. The secondary market for Bulls tickets is a joke. You could get into just about any non-Heat game for $30. The Hawks and Sox have waaaay more passionate fan bases, but they're smaller. If the Bulls are good they'll beat either in the ratings as there are more people to draw from, but generally the Bulls fan base is weak. Bulls diehards are few and far between.

And let's not pretend the Fire will ever touch the Sox anyone else. I've become a pretty big Fire fan the past year or 2, but it's not even a remote possibility.

Judrix 06-28-2013 10:44 PM

#1: Bears...and always will be.
#2: Cubs...just ridiculous fans despite always losing.
#3: Blackhawks...you wouldn't believe how many different people I can strike up a conversation about the Blackhawks with. Like others have said, this switches with the Bulls depending on team success.
#4: Bulls...were wildly popular before Derrick Rose got injured, then they were an above average, but terribly boring team and some casuals may have lost interest. I can see them roaring back in a big way as far as hype very soon.
#5 White Sox

IU Hawks fan 06-28-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebox99 (Post 68175925)

Remind me when I'm back at work Monday. :laugh:

ebox99 06-28-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 68179689)
Remind me when I'm back at work Monday. :laugh:

Will do, looks to me the Hawks are the number 1 nhl team in the US.

Even with a 50M increase, are their valuation low?

Compared to the rest of the chicago teams they seem undervalued.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

Diatomic 06-28-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebox99 (Post 68175925)

Chicago and Boston had good ratings something like 33% of the pedestrians of that city were watching. The problem is that besides Chicago and Boston, hardly any other cities were watching.

The Korean* 06-28-2013 11:55 PM

Shows where the problem is.

NHL can only get high ratings in cities where teams are involved. LA got high ratings but no other cities did last year in the Finals.

King Slayer 06-29-2013 12:02 AM

The thing about minorities not liking the Blackhawks is false. Where I work I've seen plenty of African American and Hispanic customers wearing Hawks shirts and hats in the past year. Yeah maybe they're bandwagon fans, but who can say? They've definitely captured the city's attention going back to 2010 and if they're successful again next year they have a good chance of keeping it for a while.

And Chicago is an utterly idiotic city for its obsession with the Bears. Living all 26 years of my life here it's unbelievable how much hype and attention they get to achieve so little.

No Fun Shogun 06-29-2013 12:04 AM

Anyone that doesn't say Bears at #1 and Cubs at #2 is nuts, plain and simple. After that, I say it gets a bit more variable.

Imho,

1) Bears
2) Cubs
3) Bulls
4) Hawks
5) Sox

I do think that the Hawks have already overpassed the White Sox when you consider the entire Chicagoland area, if only because that organization seems woefully inept in trying to do anything meaningful to expand their fanbase beyond the South Side and near south suburbs to Kankakee area. And I don't think that the gap between the Bulls and the Hawks is as large as most, and especially ESPN, would think. Still a few steps away, though.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook 06-29-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pojko (Post 68180341)
The thing about minorities not liking the Blackhawks is false. Where I work I've seen plenty of African American and Hispanic customers wearing Hawks shirts and hats in the past year. Yeah maybe they're bandwagon fans, but who can say? They've definitely captured the city's attention going back to 2010 and if they're successful again next year they have a good chance of keeping it for a while.

Quoted for truth. And, I will say that there were a ton of minorities both at the parade and downtown wearing Hawks gear today. More minorities are attending games as well.

I am a teacher of 9 years, and over 99% of my students have been minorities (I've spent my whole career teaching in the inner city here in Chicago). A lot of my students over the years seem legitimately interested in learning about the game and our team. In fact, I had lots of students this year alone down the home stretch of the school year asking me for advice regarding the playoffs. I've had some students who were interested in the Hawks before I walked into their lives as their teacher.

McLurking 06-29-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday (Post 68164091)

Not true at all, I'm black and live in a neighborhood mostly black/latino and White Sox/Bulls are the top two sports teams when it comes to sports clothing, gear and apparel. *** the Cubs. The Cubs are not even on the map here, we don't care about them. I've seen Wrigley Field maybe three times my entire life and know people who have seen Wrigley LESS than that, Cubs are bigger with outtertowners, transplants, and weirdos.

I don't understand how some of yall overrate the Cubs so much and put them in the top 2 like they're some essential Chicago team when a lot of people here do not even embrace them. The top 2 teams city wide are Bulls and Bears. I barely see people wearing Cub stuff around here.

In the city it's:
1 a: Bulls
1 b: Bears

The only two universal teams.

WarriorofTime 06-29-2013 02:08 AM

Bears
Bulls
Cubs
Blackhawks
White Sox

Only reason baseball teams aren't higher is that the city is divided. Hawks are obviously big right now but that's because they're winning Championships. I know plenty of people that were saying last year even that "they don't watch hockey" who were posting pictures on social media at the parade today. They've definitely attracted a lot of new fans that will be Lifers now don't get me wrong but hockey will go back to being a niche sport in a lot of ways once the Hawks slow down. In a normal year where the teams are about equal the Bulls will get wayyyyy more attention than the Hawks.

LarmerSavardSecord 06-29-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook (Post 68181303)
Quoted for truth. And, I will say that there were a ton of minorities both at the parade and downtown wearing Hawks gear today. More minorities are attending games as well.

I am a teacher of 9 years, and over 99% of my students have been minorities (I've spent my whole career teaching in the inner city here in Chicago). A lot of my students over the years seem legitimately interested in learning about the game and our team. In fact, I had lots of students this year alone down the home stretch of the school year asking me for advice regarding the playoffs. I've had some students who were interested in the Hawks before I walked into their lives as their teacher.

You would know more than I, but when I see a lot of minority kids in my diverse hood sporting Toews shirts, I think we are seeing a new wave of fans. And there's something about Toews, kids of all races want to be him. He's our Jeter.

My ranking:
Bears
Cubs good (a WS would be bigger than a Bears SB though)
Bulls great w/ Jordan
Hawks great
Sox WS win
Bulls good
Hawks good ($Bill era)
Cubs bad
Sox good
Bulls bad
Sox bad
Hawks bad (late $Bill era)