HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OT: The Official YEG T.E.M.W.S. Thread. Local Edmonton News, No Politics (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1456283)

MrWoof 06-28-2013 10:30 AM

The Official YEG T.E.M.W.S. Thread. Local Edmonton News, No Politics

Uhm... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BN2zLmbCUAAbLd7.jpg:large

Jimmi Jenkins 06-28-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWoof (Post 68138365)

Is this legit? WTF :facepalm:

Turrican* 06-28-2013 10:52 AM

Rioting? With snorkels?

And no crime?

Didn't Fleury tweet about people breaking into houses?

Wtf paper was this from.

MrWoof 06-28-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 68138787)
Is this legit? WTF :facepalm:

Yep. How does an editor allow that to go to print. Disgusting.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican (Post 68139819)
Rioting? With snorkels?

And no crime?

Wtf paper was this from.

The National Post.

CornKicker 06-28-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican (Post 68139819)
Rioting? With snorkels?

And no crime?

Wtf paper was this from.

that article looks liek something eric francis would write.

i live in calgary and there has been looting and squatting and the papers are trying to keep the image clean until the stampede is over. There are social media reports of people returning to their homes to find people squatted and partyied in the their home with booze, cigarettes and urine all over the home.they did this last year as a person i know was brutally assaulted and left for dead after leaving the stampede grounds. it was in the paper 2 weeks later as an after thought instead of getting word out to maybe find witnesses.

Insta 06-28-2013 11:18 AM

It's a joke about how over the top Calgary's media has been with how "amazingly well" they handled the flood. They are facetiously saying that if it happened in Edmonton, things would be just horrendous and the city would fall into anarchy.

Turrican* 06-28-2013 11:28 AM

Here it is online

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ot-rained-out/

Chris Selley is a huge ***.

dookers9 06-28-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Not sure this is for the "weather thread", but...

It's things like these that keep me from having much respect for Calgary. Elitist and high on themselves. It may be the National Post, but it's clearly written by a Calgarian.

For years I've hated Calgary. Pretty standard given I'm born and raised in Edmonton. But I want to rise above that negativity and give the city its due - it has a hell of a lot going for it, as seen by the miriad of displaced Oilers fans on this board that reside there.

But then this sort of cut comes out. After all the well-wishing and help we've been providing them, they bolster themselves by running us down. Isn't that the norm, though? "WE'RE great since we aren't what Edmonton is".

I think I take issue with the Post for even printing it.

Back to weather: I've been (and still am) in Summerland/Kelowna for the past week. Weather's been awful, much like back home's. But as things rise in Edmonton over the next few days, they're calling for 39 here for Wednesday. Yowza.

Turrican* 06-28-2013 11:38 AM

The more I read it... The more I think he was being sarcastic. Since that dude was saying "WE DONT LOOT AND CRIME, ITS NOT THE SOUTHERN ALBURRRTA WAY"

It's ok guys. He was just making fun of that Calgarian. Crisis averted.

czar99 06-28-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dookers9 (Post 68142371)

It's things like these that keep me from having much respect for Calgary. Elitist and high on themselves. It may be the National Post, but it's clearly written by a Calgarian.

For years I've hated Calgary. Pretty standard given I'm born and raised in Edmonton. But I want to rise above that negativity and give the city its due - it has a hell of a lot going for it, as seen by the miriad of displaced Oilers fans on this board that reside there.

But then this sort of cut comes out. After all the well-wishing and help we've been providing them, they bolster themselves by running us down. Isn't that the norm, though? "WE'RE great since we aren't what Edmonton is".

Back to weather: I've been (and still am) in Summerland/Kelowna for the past week. Weather's been awful, much like back home's. But as things rise in Edmonton over the next few days, they're calling for 39 here for Wednesday. Yowza.

Let me guess you have an iPhone.

dookers9 06-28-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dookers9 (Post 68142371)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican (Post 68141961)
Here it is online

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ot-rained-out/

Chris Selley is a huge ***.

My bad. Impulsive thumbs.

In reading the editorial more closely, the bit about Edmonton was inferred by Selley, the Post's editorialist. Not fair for me to suggest that position be generalized across to Calgarians.

But I'll still hate the Flames and Stamps, damnit! [shakes fist in air like old man responding to teenager walking on his grass]

dookers9 06-28-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czar99 (Post 68142969)
Let me guess you have an iPhone.

Si. Do Blackberrys report differently?

Halibut 06-28-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican (Post 68142575)
The more I read it... The more I think he was being sarcastic. Since that dude was saying "WE DONT LOOT AND CRIME, ITS NOT THE SOUTHERN ALBURRRTA WAY"

So buying a spare Machete just in case isnt prudent emergency preparedness planning then?:)

dookers9 06-28-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican (Post 68142575)

Aaaannnd... I believe you are correct, sir.

As I'd confessed, impulsive thumbs. But that would have been pretty outrageous had it been a legit comment.

Cloned 06-28-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Don't think that's being interpreted correctly. The way I'm seeing is that the Post is making a comment in response to the Herald's comments. The way I'm interpreting it is in the vein of sarcasm, that most everywhere in Canada would respond the same way, and not just Southern Alberta, so he purposely overexaggerates something that would never happen to prove a point.

Dabomb 06-28-2013 02:47 PM

Chris Selley belongs in the same group as Dean Blundell.. idiot columnists who think they're funny during a time of crisis. What is it with outside media and their jabs at Edmonton?

Insta 06-28-2013 03:05 PM

Apparently the mayor didn't get the joke either and it is turning into kind of an embarrassment.

DJ EarWax 06-28-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insta (Post 68155043)
Apparently the mayor didn't get the joke either and it is turning into kind of an embarrassment.

It's not as if the quote is cut and dry, it can be interpreted fairly easily in a few ways.

SephF 06-28-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insta (Post 68155043)

I had to read the little blip like 10 times before I realized that he was sarcastically commenting on the "southern alberta" comment.

DJ EarWax 06-28-2013 05:30 PM

Do southern albertans really think they handled this any better than we would have? And just because there haven't been reports of looting, doesn't mean it didn't happen. On the contrary, it's happened quite a bit.

MrWoof 06-28-2013 05:33 PM

lol... the #machetesomethingYEG hashtag is awesome.

nexttothemoon 06-28-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWoof (Post 68163803)
lol... the #machetesomethingYEG hashtag is awesome.

Ya, pretty common to see a few dozen of these types in Edmonton most weekends (and that's not even considering the seedier areas)...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...achete-007.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/5/...chete-M134.jpg

s7ark 06-28-2013 06:15 PM

I moved this into it's own thread and stickied it. I suppose we could use a local news thread.

The Twitchy Eyed Machete wielding savage thing is pretty funny.

Senor Catface 06-28-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nexttothemoon (Post 68164577)
Ya, pretty common to see a few dozen of these types in Edmonton most weekends (and that's not even considering the seedier areas)...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...achete-007.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/5/...chete-M134.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen him in Churchill square.

Moonlapse Vertigo 06-28-2013 06:41 PM

It was an attempt at irony but I don't think that it was necessarily as obvious as some of the martyrs on Twitter would lead you to believe.