HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers 2010-2011 Roster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1456691)

CBJ All The Way 06-29-2013 10:26 AM

Flyers 2010-2011 Roster

As of around 2008 I've always been somewhat of a shallow hockey fan and it wasn't till this year that I've become a full fledged hockey addict. With that being said I remember playing with the Flyers in NHL 11 on Xbox and remembering how badass that team was.

Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Giroux-JVR
Shelley-Betts-Laperriere

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
O’Donnell-Coburn

My question for the Flyers board is what in the world happened to this team? In this day and age this team would be a Force in the playoffs. What were the reasons for blowing up the team. You guys had just developed a roster that would have contended for the cup for at least 5-7 seasons.

Im not saying the trades you guys made were bad, they were actually great trades but at a confusing time (Still pissed about the Jeff Carter Trade!) but it seemed as if you guys went on a rebuild in the midst of an era of guaranteed playoff success.

GingerFetish 06-29-2013 10:28 AM

Goalies.

Flyotes 06-29-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerFetish (Post 68192877)
Goalies.

This is correct-- but oversimplified. I'll throw in some other oversimplifications: Got younger. Lost forwards that played good defense. Pronger's career ending injury. Defense took a step backwards in the front and back end.

Appleyard 06-29-2013 10:45 AM

Time and opportunity happened frankly.

Laperierre, Betts, Mez and Pronger: Injuries... 3 effectively retired, Mez always out.

O'Donnell: Old age.

Carcillo, Zherdev: Wasting talent in different ways, refusing to play in a system.

Carle, Leino: Overrated due to who they played with, signed for too much money in FA, if we had paid that much for either I would have cried.

Briere: Bought out, rightly so... can't play D and getting too old/poor for his cap hit.

JVR: Trade for Schenn... who was arguably our best D man this year. I liked JVR... but a good trade.

Carter, Richards: Traded... return was awesome frankly:

Voracek
Simmonds
Schenn
Couturier
Cousins
(Grossmann, as a byproduct.)

YuioIklo 06-29-2013 10:47 AM

I expect the "new" Flyers to be a force in the playoffs soon.

Beef Invictus 06-29-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way (Post 68192763)
As of around 2008 I've always been somewhat of a shallow hockey fan and it wasn't till this year that I've become a full fledged hockey addict. With that being said I remember playing with the Flyers in NHL 11 on Xbox and remembering how badass that team was.

Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Giroux-JVR
Shelley-Betts-Laperriere

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
O’Donnell-Coburn

My question for the Flyers board is what in the world happened to this team? In this day and age this team would be a Force in the playoffs. What were the reasons for blowing up the team. You guys had just developed a roster that would have contended for the cup for at least 5-7 seasons.

Im not saying the trades you guys made were bad, they were actually great trades but at a confusing time (Still pissed about the Jeff Carter Trade!) but it seemed as if you guys went on a rebuild in the midst of an era of guaranteed playoff success.

Powe generally played over Shelley. That 4th line was great when healthy.

Goalies were one reason it was blown. Another reason is that after years of trading picks, prospects, and signing experienced FAs at higher cap hits instead of building withing, the Flyers were on a precipice. They had too many holes to fill even beyond and upgrade in net, had too little cap space to do it with, and had nobody to call up on the cheap who could actually play NHL level hockey. All offseason it was really obvious that 2-3 people would need to be shipped out. With the Richards and Carter trades the Flyers were able to fill those holes, replenish their youth, and add a couple prospects.

Their window had closed, and those moves did a lot to ensure the Flyers would have a new window opening soon. Buying Bryz out helps in an addition-by-subtraction kind of way.

Bryz4shiz 06-29-2013 11:01 AM

They got swept by Boston and Snider overreacted

Philadelphia Ducks 06-29-2013 11:41 AM

I do miss that Carcy - Betts - Lappy line.

Bryz4shiz 06-29-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 68196801)

That was a solid forth line. I miss Powe on the 4th line too

sobrien 06-29-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 68196801)

They were a legitimate force when healthy and clicking. That forecheck was a thing of beauty. We had a legit 4th line that rivaled Boston's

nuclear reactor 06-29-2013 12:29 PM

Yes I still have shirtless posters of Carter and Richards on my bedroom wall, but no I do not miss them or this team.

GoneFullHextall 06-29-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz (Post 68194611)
They got swept by Boston and Snider overreacted

as did the Flyer fanbase

Curufinwe 06-29-2013 02:01 PM

Two of those guys retired early from PCS, and Leino left to become one of the most overpaid free agents in history.

RJ8812* 06-29-2013 02:06 PM

Flyers should have brought a vet goalie in until Bob was ready (and not rushed). Someone like Vokoun or whatever

The one move I would have made was trading Carter before that season. The team made it all the way to the finals and Carter wasn't much of a factor. That should have told Homer something. I think we could have pulled off that trade with Columbus, except it would have been a year earlier. So, Carter for Voracek and their 1st in 2010. That pick was 4th overal, so we could have drafted Cam Fowler. Sure, we wouldnt have ended up with Couturier the following season, but right now Fowler is someone we could use..

Leino-Briere-Hartnell
Gagne-Giroux-Voracek
vanRiemsdyk-Richards-Nodl
Powe-Betts-Carcillo
Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
O’Donnell-Fowler
Bartulis

Vokoun (or whoever)
Boucher

Salary Cap: $59.4m
Total Salary Number: $58.2m

However, by the time the playoffs rolled around, our key player, Pronger, was in trouble. But at least with Fowler drafted, we could have had a future #1 defenseman already

Beef Invictus 06-29-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 68200003)
They were a legitimate force when healthy and clicking. That forecheck was a thing of beauty. We had a legit 4th line that rivaled Boston's

Hell, I thought it was the best 4th line in the league at the time.

Haute Couturier 06-29-2013 08:20 PM

Expectations are sky high in this city and I think the fans and organization needed someone to blame so Richards and Carter were given the boot.

usahockey22flyers 06-29-2013 08:45 PM

2009-2010 team will always be my favorite in the last 10 years.

I miss #18 in orange.

Wiqkid* 06-29-2013 09:36 PM

Homer?

moosehead81 06-29-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YuioIklo (Post 68193935)
I expect the "new" Flyers to be a force in the playoffs soon.

Don't hold your breath on that one. Still got the same issues except the "old" Flyers have already raised the Stanley Cup.

Coppy 06-29-2013 10:16 PM

Laperriere never played in 2010-11. His career ended the season before, though he hadn't officially retire.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-29-2013 11:40 PM

They got offers they couldn't refuse for Carter and Richards. Pronger got the concussion and of course Bryz.