HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Pietrangelo's contract: what would you give him? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1457175)

BBSuns 06-29-2013 07:15 PM

Pietrangelo's contract: what would you give him?
 
http://thehockeywriters.com/pietrang...-you-give-him/

Per Andy Strickland, Petro wont consider anything that starts with a 6 in front of it. I had him pegged at 6-6.5 before looking at the cap comparables...any thoughts?

HooliganX2 06-29-2013 07:36 PM

IMO he doesn't deserve anything in the 7's. The only way I give him in the 7's is if it's matching an offer sheet. I think 6.5 is about right even though I would prefer 6.

BBSuns 06-29-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 68225913)
IMO he doesn't deserve anything in the 7's. The only way I give him in the 7's is if it's matching an offer sheet. I think 6.5 is about right even though I would prefer 6.

Like I said in the post, my initial thought even before the Shattenkirk deal was 6mill flat..then after the Shatts deal I really stood firm with my prediction...stats indicate he deserves more than 6 but 7 is a lot of invest in a 23 year old unless they're absolutely certain hes the face of the franchise for years to come..I certainly think he has that potential though

BlueBeard 06-29-2013 08:07 PM

Barring offersheet, which I'm not really concerned about, I'd say his cap hit ends up being around 6.5-6.8. We may be well into August before we see that happen though.

CarvinSigX 06-29-2013 08:27 PM

I'm not sure, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Army better not get caught asleep at the wheel.

BBSuns 06-29-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 68228553)
I'm not sure, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Army better not get caught asleep at the wheel.

I wouldnt be worried about a deal getting done. Biggest issue is working out a AAV that works for both sides. Petro will be a Blue even if another team gives him an offer sheet

Izzy 06-29-2013 08:42 PM

Anything he wants under 8.

mk80 06-29-2013 08:43 PM

If we need to I'd be ok with letting Leopold go to free up some space for him. I don't think we need Leopold as we have a solid defense with

Shattenkirk, Polak, Jackman, Bouwmester, Cole, Russell, and Pietroangelo

If I'm reading cap geek right Bouwmester is our highest paid player this year getting just under $6.7m, the next highest is Backes at 4.5m so I think we have a little room with Pietroangelo

BBSuns 06-29-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk80 (Post 68229309)
If we need to I'd be ok with letting Leopold go to free up some space for him. I don't think we need Leopold as we have a solid defense with

Shattenkirk, Polak, Jackman, Bouwmester, Cole, Russell, and Pietroangelo

If I'm reading cap geek right Bouwmester is our highest paid player this year getting just under $6.7m, the next highest is Backes at 4.5m so I think we have a little room with Pietroangelo

You are correct and you can expect Stewart to get about 5mill

Kasparov 06-29-2013 10:13 PM

i just...idk about that. he's a great player, but we haven't won a cup and he hasn't won a Norris (yet). i understand from a players perspective that there is a life after the NHL and you really need to have financial security, but...ugh. idk. i was afraid this would happen. I didn't think it would, but i was afraid of it. :shakehead

CarvinSigX 06-29-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBSuns (Post 68229577)
You are correct and you can expect Stewart to get about 5mill

Hopefully from a different team at that price.

BlueDream 06-29-2013 10:26 PM

Doesn't quite deserve 7 yet.

2 Minute Minor 06-29-2013 11:24 PM

I think they'll probably negotiate down from there, or go with a shorter term, but I could live with a 7M salary for Pietro. Its kind of what I expected he'd get.

trevorftw 06-30-2013 01:01 AM

I'd do 7 if it's max term.

JustOneB4IDie 06-30-2013 03:08 AM

Petro doesn't deserve 7 Million- yet. Petro regressed last year after being in the running for the Norris Trophy in 2011-2012. Petro's play improved after the Blues went out and got Jaybo from Calgary

Remember last year Montreal's P.K. Subban fiasco? The Fans were up in arms and wanted Subban traded, then Subban was a holdout ever after the lockout ended, missed 5 games before surprise! Signing a "prove it" 2 year contract for only $2,875,000. And Subban responded with winning the NHL's Norris Trophy as the NHL's best Defenseman in 2013.

Do you think a hardball stance on Petro for a let's say a 2 year "prove it" contract is all the Blues have proposed so far?

Alklha 06-30-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 (Post 68245131)
Petro doesn't deserve 7 Million- yet. Petro regressed last year after being in the running for the Norris Trophy in 2011-2012. Petro's play improved after the Blues went out and got Jaybo from Calgary

Remember last year Montreal's P.K. Subban fiasco? The Fans were up in arms and wanted Subban traded, then Subban was a holdout ever after the lockout ended, missed 5 games before surprise! Signing a "prove it" 2 year contract for only $2,875,000. And Subban responded with winning the NHL's Norris Trophy as the NHL's best Defenseman in 2013.

Do you think a hardball stance on Petro for a let's say a 2 year "prove it" contract is all the Blues have proposed so far?

That isn't true. Pietrangelo's play had significantly improved before Bouwmeester was acquired. His slow start in the first 10-15 games is being exaggerated pretty heavily, his play with Jax was at basically the same standard as last season.

The Subban fiasco isn't something to point to either. The Canadiens should have signed him long term at the ~$5.5m he wanted, and they could have signed him for whatever term they wanted. Congratulations, they have 2 years where they save about $2.7m. It is going to cost them another $1.5m a season for every year after that. The money isn't an issue for Montreal, but the cap hit sure is in those later years. In Montreal's defense, giving Subban a long term deal in the $5's last summer would have been a significantly bigger risk than us giving Pietrangelo a long term deal at $6m last summer.

There is no chance in the world that Pietrangelo signs a "prove it" contract. He will get multiple offersheets this summer, if it gets to that point, those will be used to negotiate the deal he wants.

bewbies 06-30-2013 08:14 AM

Offer him 8/56 and be done with it. You don't want to deal with the offer sheets, we have the cap room, and there's no point in waiting over the matter of 500k. He's absolutely worth 7m a year.

bluesman11 06-30-2013 08:23 AM

First of all everything is negotiable, so with AP's agent asking for the max isn't surprising, but this is disappointing because this could be AP's feelings or that he's being influenced easily by his agent.

6 million a year and sacrifice should never be used in the same sentence when you're talking about a 23 to 28 year old hockey player. Ultimately he'll get what he's worth for 5 to 6 years or they'll settle on a short term deal. Let's just hope he's a mature young man that doesn't take the business side too personally.

intangible 06-30-2013 09:45 AM

If you don't think he deserves $7m yet, that's fine, but we're talking about a young guy, our best defenseman, and in my opinion our best player. Let's finally show the NHL that we support our top players instead of continually giving our struggling players $5m just so they'll stay. Give him $7m at a max term contract.. it'll be well worth it.

Alklha 06-30-2013 10:05 AM

Letang just got 8 years @ $7.25m. I think we have our new marker...

Celtic Note 06-30-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alklha (Post 68253935)
Letang just got 8 years @ $7.25m. I think we have our new marker...

Much rather have Petro.

Steve Doan 06-30-2013 10:52 AM

Im worried that given Armstrong's negotiation history, 8 years is almost out of the question.

MattyMo35 06-30-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtic Note (Post 68254759)
Much rather have Petro.

QFT. His agent did a hell of a job.

HooliganX2 06-30-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMo35 (Post 68263267)
QFT. His agent did a hell of a job.

I agree I'm not really sold on Letang much at all. I think his offensive numbers are inflated and defensively he's average at best.

SIU LAW 06-30-2013 01:07 PM

At first I was pretty put off at the idea of the Blues paying out seven million per year. However, the more I think about, the more pragmatic about it I become.

While I am hoping that the Blues can negotiate something lower than seven million per year average, the Blues may have to accept that figure is the market rate/reality they face. With Drew Doughty netting the contract he did, the market has pretty much been set. Hopefully, any seven million per year deal will be the maximum of eight years.

Even if the Blues could negotiate a lower “prove it” contract for 1 or 2 years, the cap will likely rise and the Blues may find themselves having to pay even more than seven million per year due to raising salaries. Said another way, the Blues may end up having to pay those savings out sooner or later.

Factor in potential offer sheets, reaching a 8 year / 56 may be the most prudent and safest option, if the team truly believes that Petro will only get better with experience.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.