HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   hockey withdrawals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1458689)

cbjbluejackets61 07-01-2013 12:11 AM

hockey withdrawals

so i just broke my humerus bone and am out of hockey for 3-4 months... and i am gonna go crazy.

those of you who've battled long term injuries and missed hockey, how do you pass the time and try to keep sane?

:cry:

Wilch 07-01-2013 12:49 AM

You'll find something to do.

Been posted in some tropical place with no rink for mandatory military services. Been 9 months now, with 4 left to go.

Switched to basketball, and it's served me well.

Though in your case, you might want to find some kind of not so active hobby.

Video games? Music?

gosinger 07-01-2013 05:28 AM

With my last leg-injury I got myself some hockey DVDs and started daily stickhandling exercises, shooting as many pucks as I could (last two not an option in your case), and brushing up on some of the theoretical aspects of the game (e.g. jasons system analytics blog posts). Also I tried to find a set of strength workout routines that I could do without the injured area of my body and tried to find a workout split that would allow me to do something every day.

leftwinger37 07-01-2013 08:54 AM

Yeah, that's a tough one for sure. I had to take the summer off two years ago in order to lets various injuries heal up. It was pretty rough, but I think that being away from the game for a little bit gives you a different perspective, which is healthy.

I agree with the previous post that maybe you can take this time to strengthen other parts of your body. Mentally, I think this will help when you're all healed up because you will feel like you haven't just been sitting on the shelf the whole time. If have more time on your hands or are trying to take it easy, check out the book "Hockey Tough" by Dr. Saul Miller. This is a great read that I would recommend to any hockey player (I have recommended it at least a couple of times on this forum). It focuses on the mental aspects of the game and there is a great section in there about coming back from an injury.

If all else fails, grab a few hockey DVDs or watch a bunch of YouTube clips.

emgsa85 07-01-2013 09:26 AM

I dislocated my shoulder last year in august and had to have surgery. put me out for about 6 months before I could skate and not worry about my shoulder again. then I had to move to South Korea for the military for this year... I've been out a bit and it's tough but I just stick to the youtube vids and catch as much hockey reading online as I can. the "Hockey Tough" book is definitely a good read. I read that in the desert in 2010.... freaking awesome book!!

Thesensation19 07-01-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbjbluejackets61 (Post 68392621)
so i just broke my humerus bone and am out of hockey for 3-4 months... And i am gonna go crazy.

Those of you who've battled long term injuries and missed hockey, how do you pass the time and try to keep sane?

:cry:

try to spend the time learning more about hockey. See the game at different levels.

There is a soccer documentary where two people go around the world and see the game for what it is in their cultures. Jails in argentina, villages in africa, middle east where women cannot play and the streets of differ european cities.

It was a great documentary.
Gave me an idea to want to do something like that for hockey, even if its not filmed for documentary purposes or anything. Even if its just for my own love of the game. Or to grow a better passion for it.

Start watching old school games on tv.
Go to your public rinks and watch adult leagues or watch travel/high school teams. (off-season for the junior clubs but maybe some practices).
Maybe plan a trip somewhere and see if and how hockey is played there. (i always wanted to see and play the game bandy). Maybe roller hockey is big somewhere or kids in a city with no ice love playing street hockey.

I know my dad in europe use to play in the street with wood sticks they found or made and played with a tennis ball and some goals.

Go to developmental camps for young kids.
Maybe visit the hockey hall of fame.

Make plans for the upcoming season to go to and watch different games rather than the nhl. Ahl, echl, ncaa, chl. If your in europe, go to different cities and attractions. Wish i went to the outdoor game in the coliseum in croatia pula.

Thesensation19 07-01-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emgsa85 (Post 68405617)
i dislocated my shoulder last year in august and had to have surgery. Put me out for about 6 months before i could skate and not worry about my shoulder again. Then i had to move to south korea for the military for this year... I've been out a bit and it's tough but i just stick to the youtube vids and catch as much hockey reading online as i can. The "hockey tough" book is definitely a good read. I read that in the desert in 2010.... Freaking awesome book!!

anything you can in south korea in terms of hockey. I know hockey has been growing steadily and quite interestingly in over in asia in the last 10 years. Idk about south korea but would be cool to see the country (if possible) or countries around it. Idk your capabilities though.

See if there are any rinks in south korea.