HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Prospect Info: 2013 Draft-3rd Round- Jonathan-Ismael Diaby-D (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1458807)

AtlantaWhaler 07-01-2013 07:21 AM

2013 Draft-3rd Round- Jonathan-Ismael Diaby-D

I'm not seeing him listed on Red Line. NHL.com has him ranked #37 overall (#45 at the midterm) and he's a huge 6'5" 223lbs.

triggrman 07-01-2013 07:43 AM

apparently he weighed in at 250lbs at the combine.

regardless, he's not done growing, and will be huge.

I Will Son 07-01-2013 08:19 AM

Hal gills replacement

Webersmashpuck 07-01-2013 08:20 AM

Hes a defensive defenseman, apparently he can skate well for his size. His dad was a pro soccer player so once again we went with bloodlines.

Predsrule 07-01-2013 08:27 AM

Never seen the kid play b4.. But my question for someone this size is always can they skate.. Te he can so now it's let the staff do their thing and hope he develops into a player we need.. Love his size obv and hoping he becomes a mean shut down guy.. Kinda like how I wanted okt

AtlantaWhaler 07-01-2013 08:35 AM

Love the size, but us former Thrash fans can't help but get flashbacks of Valabik. Yikes.

Seth Lake 07-01-2013 08:46 AM

Profile from The Hockey News- http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ael-Diaby.html

Quote:

Much has been made of Seth Jones’ background as an American who grew up with a basketball-playing father, but Victoriaville’s Jonathan Diaby may have him beat: his father was a pro soccer player in Africa, making Diaby an NHL prospect whose lineage comes from the Ivory Coast nation.

“I guess I’d be the first one,” said Diaby, who was born in Blainville, Que. “They don’t really know much about hockey there, so it would be fun.”

Diaby’s father settled in Montreal after coming to Canada on a trip and falling in love. The former soccer player now runs a trucking company, which is fitting since his kid is an 18-wheeler on the ice.

“Big is an understatement,” said one scout. “He came into the combine at 250 pounds and at 6-foot-5, I don’t know if he’s done growing. He’s going to be interesting. He may be one of the most naturally physical players in the draft.”

A team-high plus-12 for the Tigres, Diaby is a defense-first blueliner who can dish out punishment and has no problem dropping the gloves, something he did nine times this season. Along with proving that the Quebec League can bring toughness to the table, Diaby also helped his team to a huge upset of the Moncton Wildcats in the first round of the playoffs, despite the fact the Cats had 10 more wins in the regular season.
Haven't had a guy like this in the system for awhile. Helps balance the puck movers out a little.

Enoch 07-01-2013 08:53 AM

I wonder how lean he is with that weight. His pictures show a guy that looks pretty fit.

We truly havent had a guy like this in a while, and most that we have drafted in this nature, have busted quickly. Lets hope this isn't the case. We have good evaluations in this area of the draft. I like our chances. We could legitimately have two black/african american (broadening this to North American !) defensemen on this roster. I, personally, think that is awesome. I love the ethnic diversity of hockey! :yo:

token grinder 07-01-2013 09:20 AM

without watching him play, on sheer size and position, I wonder how he compares to Dustin Byfuglien.

and jesus the size of him, weber, and jones...and Klein and Josi ain't small. We may be better off trading some of the d corps to the WWF rather than another team down the line.

KevFist 07-01-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 68404335)
Love the size, but us former Thrash fans can't help but get flashbacks of Valabik. Yikes.

Why you heff to sey det?

I'd almost forgotten about Bobo.... Now I'm going to have Valabik-Sopel pairing nightmares again.

Lucky Luke 07-01-2013 11:10 AM

He will be among the top defensive defencemen in the Q league this coming season.
He may be traded to a Q contending team and if so, will likely fetch a mighty return.

hogtownhabsfan* 07-01-2013 08:41 PM

Was hoping the Habs would take Diaby. He's going to be a rock solid blueliner while also being a legit NHL super heavyweight.

SilasAdams 07-01-2013 08:46 PM

Love this pick

Gnashville 07-01-2013 09:37 PM

I'm 6 5 220 and almost 40 this kid out weighs me by 30 lbs and is 18 :amazed:

At 18 I was around 175 lbs to put his growth into perspective.

hockey diva 07-01-2013 10:50 PM

One report I read said he has minimal offensive skills. Another Gill in the making I'd say.

101st_fan 07-01-2013 10:59 PM

A beast of a stayhome defender. Reach, mass, lane clogging volume, reportedly mobile for his size, and toughness .... fills an oft neglected role.

Seth Lake 07-01-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey diva (Post 68448241)
One report I read said he has minimal offensive skills. Another Gill in the making I'd say.

One report? It's every report. Much better skater than Gill.

I Will Son 07-01-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 68448979)
One report? It's every report. Much better skater than Gill.

And probably not as soft as Gill.

hogtownhabsfan* 07-01-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Will Son (Post 68450073)
And probably not as soft as Gill.

In fact the opposite Diaby is going to be a legit super heavyweight enforcer.

braindead 07-02-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnashville (Post 68444605)
I'm 6 5 220 and almost 40 this kid out weighs me by 30 lbs and is 18 :amazed:

At 18 I was around 175 lbs to put his growth into perspective.

I've done some rough extrapolation and believe he might, in his prime, have a playing weight in excess of 300 lbs... actual results may vary.

I like this pick. We don't need him to be a scoring threat AT ALL but 4-5 years down the line that could be a great 3rd pairing beast to role out. Hopefully he is watching penalty killing videos in his spare time.

PredsV82 07-02-2013 01:12 AM

If this kid ends up actually able to skate at an NHL level and play legit 3rd pair minutes every night it will be very nice to not have to waste a forward spot on a supposed tough guy, and it will be nice to not have to have our 14 million dollar Norris candidate not have to be the only guy who can answer the bell when another team acts up....

How bizarre would a Diaby - Ellis third pair be?? would be like the movie Twins

HITMAN88 07-02-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 68454381)
If this kid ends up actually able to skate at an NHL level and play legit 3rd pair minutes every night it will be very nice to not have to waste a forward spot on a supposed tough guy, and it will be nice to not have to have our 14 million dollar Norris candidate not have to be the only guy who can answer the bell when another team acts up....

How bizarre would a Diaby - Ellis third pair be?? would be like the movie Twins

http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/57/C5/...20c89a57c5.gif
btw can Diaby be compared to Mark Fraser ?

Byrddog 07-02-2013 10:15 AM

The guy reminds me of Krzysztof Oliwa except he appears to have some talent other than dropping the gloves. DOes this mean Clune moves on? Clune is a lightweight in comparison but the guy gives 100% every shift.

As a defenseman we can expect nothing more than him filling the 7th man role and being suited up a few games a season to throttle someone.

token grinder 07-02-2013 10:45 AM

read somewhere the comparison was a more skilled andy sutton. I still want to see him play and compare him to byfuglien

Filip Forceberg 07-02-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrddog (Post 68463935)
The guy reminds me of Krzysztof Oliwa except he appears to have some talent other than dropping the gloves. DOes this mean Clune moves on? Clune is a lightweight in comparison but the guy gives 100% every shift.

As a defenseman we can expect nothing more than him filling the 7th man role and being suited up a few games a season to throttle someone.

Clune definitely won't be around by the time this kid laces up for Nashville.