HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   News Article: Is Klein the odd man out? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1458919)

Joe T Choker 07-01-2013 10:25 AM

Is Klein the odd man out?

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/7...2013-nhl-draft

This article speculates that since we have too many top 4 RHD, Klein could be used for trade bait

Drake744 07-01-2013 10:26 AM

Link isn't working for me

NoNecksCurse 07-01-2013 10:28 AM

dont see that happening. klein signed a sweet deal with us. i see klein retiring a pred.

Drake744 07-01-2013 10:32 AM

I think Ellis has the biggest trade potential. If he continues to improve and be attractive to teams, the addition of Jones greatly softens the blow of losing him. Weber/Josi/Klein/Jones need to be the cornerstones for a long, long time.

AtlantaWhaler 07-01-2013 10:35 AM

You have to give to get. Klein may be our best bet at landing that much needed offense.

That said, we would also have another hole in our top-4 which would need to be filled. Too much to expect Jones to step into that role already.

Drake744 07-01-2013 10:44 AM

If Jones can play the left side also, is that enough to make it not a problem anymore?

Joe T Choker 07-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake744 (Post 68411651)
If Jones can play the left side also, is that enough to make it not a problem anymore?

The unfortunate part is he can't ... Get something for Klein, bring in a stop gap until Ekholm is ready to play top 4

Josi - Weber
Ekholm - Jones

Drake744 07-01-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a killer (Post 68412111)
The unfortunate part is he can't ... Get something for Klein, bring in a stop gap until Ekholm is ready to play top 4

Josi - Weber
Ekholm - Jones

I thought Trotz and Housley said he can. I believe 102.5 mentioned that this morning

Iron Duke 07-01-2013 11:03 AM

I don't see Poile trading a top 4 guy that he signed to a very reasonable extension not that long ago.

Shea Weber 07-01-2013 11:05 AM

Do not want. But Jones will eventually be perfect for that 2nd pair Right side slot, likely sooner than later.

Will need a shutdown 2nd pair Lefty.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-01-2013 11:06 AM

Three years ago, I would have been all for it, but we would be foolish to trade Klein now. He's integral to our defense, and we won't get a better player for the money.

redbeard7737 07-01-2013 11:23 AM

TSN in Canada here said yesterday that Trotz had said he would start Jones with Weber...I don't have a link but know what I heard. All I know, is Preds fans got an incredible player and now have some good trade chips in Ellis or Klein...I hope that you guys can pick up a solid forward or 2 through free agency because with that defence and goaltending, thats all you need. Good luck.

PredsV82 07-01-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Duke (Post 68412737)
I don't see Poile trading a top 4 guy that he signed to a very reasonable extension not that long ago.

actualy thats exactly why he could get a good return.

I thought of this yesterday, that Klein could be trade bait to get a top 3 guy like Seguin or Ryan

however, as good as Jones is, trading Klein before Jones ever gets here makes us worse on the blue line to start the season than we were last year

Drake744 07-01-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 68414067)
actualy thats exactly why he could get a good return.

I thought of this yesterday, that Klein could be trade bait to get a top 3 guy like Seguin or Ryan

however, as good as Jones is, trading Klein before Jones ever gets here makes us worse on the blue line to start the season than we were last year

Or, God forbid, Jones struggles a bit or gets hurt.....

glenngineer 07-01-2013 12:36 PM

First off OTF is a joke. Let me get that out of the way. Look at the depth chart that is being used and I just laughed. I couldn't even read the rest of the article because of what the depth chart looks like. Really? This is a site that knows about the Preds? As nuts as we are here we have better discussions about our team than a site that is geared just for the Preds.

Secondly, Housley and Trotz said he can play the left D position. The kid is super talented and a switch from one side to the other with Housley's help plus the veteran presence of Klein and Weber will support the kid just fine.

Third, why would we trade Klein? We now have the best top 4 in hockey as far as I'm concerned. We have a Norris trophy candidate in Weber. We have Jones who looks like he could be one down the line. Josi could be one if his defensive game gets better which in my mind it will over time and Klein is one of the more underrated second pairing guys in the league. He just goes out and plays the game. So why would we deal from something that was questionable yesterday to a major strength? Also, you have two pairs that can eat up about 50 minutes a night. Talk about tough to play against. Imagine if you have Jones with Klein and Weber with Josi. You have two guys with size on each pairing with incredible reach. You have four guys that can skate. You have two guys that can play with an edge. I just don't see the downside in keeping all four but I see a downside in trading Klein. He's probably our best penalty killer as well.

So forgive me if I don't take the article or what I read of it seriously but even if we were to use Klein as trade bait, we're going to need to add to the package to land a top 6 or top 3 forward and we then have a hole on the second pairing again. That doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe if we knew Ekholm was ready for big minutes but he's not quite there yet. Keep Klein, role a great top 4 with Rinne in net and see how teams are going to score on us. Defensive hockey may not be fun for other teams but we may be in awe every night at how good they can be.

maplepred 07-01-2013 01:04 PM

Housley already coached Seth jones??

triggrman 07-01-2013 01:14 PM

Klein's contract is the best on the team and balances out Weber's some. On a team that needs bang for the buck, Klein is perfect. Trading him would tough.

Predsboro 07-01-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maplepred (Post 68420047)
Housley already coached Seth jones??

Yes, Housley was the coach of the U.S.A. Hockey Juniors who won the Gold in the World Championships last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...coach/2348035/

maplepred 07-01-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predsboro (Post 68420825)
Yes, Housley was the coach of the U.S.A. Hockey Juniors who won the Gold in the World Championships last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...coach/2348035/

That's kinda cool they have a link.

BigFatCat999 07-01-2013 01:32 PM

Start of season:

Josi-Weber
Bartley-Klein
Brennan?-Jones

End

Josi-Weber
Bartley-Jones
Brennan?-Klein

AtlantaWhaler 07-01-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 68420611)
Klein's contract is the best on the team.....

Yeah, this is a huge reason to keep him. He's signed for another 5 years for less than $3mil. That's insanely good.

triggrman 07-01-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 68421699)
Start of season:

Josi-Weber
Bartley-Klein
Brennan?-Jones

End

Josi-Weber
Bartley-Jones
Brennan?-Klein

Bartley will not outplay Klein.

BigFatCat999 07-01-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 68421933)
Bartley will not outplay Klein.

I'm saying L-D even the the D depth is insane

glenngineer 07-01-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 68421699)
Start of season:

Josi-Weber
Bartley-Klein
Brennan?-Jones

End

Josi-Weber
Bartley-Jones
Brennan?-Klein

More like:
Josi-Weber
Klein-Jones
Gill-Bartley

End:
Josi-Weber
Jones-Klein
Ellis-Ekholm

iKiwi 07-01-2013 01:50 PM

I agree we need Klein and I love Klein, but if you can trade him in a package to get something like Seguin then we do it. Remember when we traded Ellis for that boston pick so we could get Couturier but it all got voided once Philly took him? Well maybe Boston is still interested and we could package something.