HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Winnipeg rivalries? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1459939)

MrSnrub 07-02-2013 03:32 PM

Winnipeg rivalries?
 
I wonder if Jets fans could give their views on whom they see the Jets as likely to develop rivalries with in the near future? Are there any teams with whom the Jets have already started to develop bad blood with through dirty hits, multiple fights, comments from players/coaches etc? I have not followed the Jets so I'd be interested to see what you think on this matter. In their division from next year onwards, Minnesota are the closest team in proximity (in fact the closest team regardless of division) but of course, this is not the only factor that contributes to rivalries.

If nothing else, is there any team that you particularly dislike when they play the Jets, and if so why?

Thesaurus 07-02-2013 03:40 PM

Well since this last season the Jets only played Eastern Conference teams no rivalries in the West have really blossomed yet. I'm sure Minnesota will grow into one just because of geographic proximity but other than that your guess is as good as mine until they hit the ice and play some meaningful games against the new division and conference.

Potrzebie 07-02-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSnrub (Post 68489071)
I wonder if Jets fans could give their views on whom they see the Jets as likely to develop rivalries with in the near future? Are there any teams with whom the Jets have already started to develop bad blood with through dirty hits, multiple fights, comments from players/coaches etc? I have not followed the Jets so I'd be interested to see what you think on this matter. In their division from next year onwards, Minnesota are the closest team in proximity (in fact the closest team regardless of division) but of course, this is not the only factor that contributes to rivalries.

If nothing else, is there any team that you particularly dislike when they play the Jets, and if so why?

I can see Chicago being a great rival in the next few years when the Jets are a contender (fingers crossed). The cities have a lot of similarities despite the size difference... in fact, Winnipeg used to be known as Chicago of the North... both hockey arenas are known to be super loud and packed with crazy fans... plus, we poached Bobby back in 72 and the feelings will be renewed when we poach Captain Serious in a couple of years. :)

koth 07-02-2013 03:52 PM

I think our main rivalry is going to be Minnesota. We didn't play them last season, but in the first season we played them a couple of times and the games were always rough with lots of after-whistle scuffles. They're also probably closest to us talent wise.

garret9 07-02-2013 04:29 PM

Minnie fans hates advance stats because it predicted their fall in 2011-12...
Winnipeg Jets' blog AIH founder Gabe Desjardins was the focus of Minnie's hate...
I love doing advance stats...

Plus, in 2011-12 apparently a lot of Winnipegers drove to Minnie for the game...

It looks the most promising for future rivalry.

CorgisPer60 07-02-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 68493231)
Minnie fans hates advance stats because it predicted their fall in 2011-12...
Winnipeg Jets' blog AIH founder Gabe Desjardins was the focus of Minnie's hate...
I love doing advance stats...

Plus, in 2011-12 apparently a lot of Winnipegers drove to Minnie for the game...

It looks the most promising for future rivalry.

Minnesotans also hate being called Minnie. :D

wpgsilver 07-02-2013 04:42 PM

Our biggest rival I think will Minny. Our proximity to Minny should lead to great fan involvement. There were also instances when we played them that elevated to temperature of the games. I know Minny fans were upset about a Bogo hit, and Minnys head coach, Yeo, made comments about to MTSC crowd noise being enhanced by speakers.

I also think the Jets will continue to have rivalries with Canadian teams. At least from a fans perspective.

In conclusion: Minny, Minny, Minny.

DancesWithWookies 07-02-2013 06:23 PM

I get the feeling us and nashville will have a great rivalry going on. Maybe based on the solid defense teams both teams are becoming. Can not wait to watch Trouba lay out Jones :)

bigplay41* 07-02-2013 06:48 PM

Minny

Aerial 07-02-2013 06:53 PM

Definitely Minny. Proximity helps, the flood of Jets fans to Xcel Energy Center builds it up, and they seemed to get off on the wrong foot with each other in the most delightful way, as far as budding rivalries go.

During one game down there, somewhere or other had some kind of merch that said "the rivalry begins." I remember during the first Wild-Jets game a Wild fan came on here and said "there's something so right" about a Winnipeg-Minnesota game, and that he looked forward to hating us. I have to agree. Going to be lots of fun.

Sweech 07-02-2013 07:26 PM

Minnesota for sure. The break between playing each other may have cooled some heads, but I think it will get amped back up in the future. Plus both head coaches also have a rivalry going from back in their AHL days.

With all that being said most rivalries are really born in the playoffs, so we really need to get there this year!

viper0220 07-02-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSnrub (Post 68489071)
I wonder if Jets fans could give their views on whom they see the Jets as likely to develop rivalries with in the near future? Are there any teams with whom the Jets have already started to develop bad blood with through dirty hits, multiple fights, comments from players/coaches etc? I have not followed the Jets so I'd be interested to see what you think on this matter. In their division from next year onwards, Minnesota are the closest team in proximity (in fact the closest team regardless of division) but of course, this is not the only factor that contributes to rivalries.

If nothing else, is there any team that you particularly dislike when they play the Jets, and if so why?


Rivalries are made in the playoffs, until the Jets make there won't be any.

King Woodballs 07-02-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 68518723)
Rivalries are made in the playoffs, until the Jets make there won't be any.

Completely false IMO

The games against he wild were pretty intense
Especially the one where the Jets stomped on their massive unbeaten streak

Guardian17 07-02-2013 09:29 PM

Minnesota due to the proximity and the fact that a lot of Jets fans will make the trip south to watch the Jets play there.

Chicago will be next biggest.

razorsedge 07-02-2013 10:41 PM

Minnesota only works as a rivalry if peggers hate the city and it's fans. Can anybody here honestly say they hate visiting St.Paul/Minneapolis? Or hate the fans of the Wild?

At most it'll be a friendly rivalry. At least until they meet in the playoffs anyway.

garret9 07-02-2013 11:11 PM

Hate the city and citizens?

bazaaa* 07-02-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorsedge (Post 68527587)
Minnesota only works as a rivalry if peggers hate the city and it's fans. Can anybody here honestly say they hate visiting St.Paul/Minneapolis? Or hate the fans of the Wild?

At most it'll be a friendly rivalry. At least until they meet in the playoffs anyway.

Love visiting Minneapolis, such a nice place.

koth 07-03-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorsedge (Post 68527587)
Minnesota only works as a rivalry if peggers hate the city and it's fans. Can anybody here honestly say they hate visiting St.Paul/Minneapolis? Or hate the fans of the Wild?

At most it'll be a friendly rivalry. At least until they meet in the playoffs anyway.

This is completely false. You don't have to hate the city and it's fans to have a rivalry with the other team. I don't know where you get that from.

Rivalries occur when each team has a dislike for the other team. The fans only have to dislike the other players, not the other fans or city.

sully1410 07-03-2013 12:42 AM

Minnesota is the obvious answer, but I see Chicago, St. Louis and Nashville as great ones as well.

I think we had decent rivalries with Florida and Washington though.

Aela* 07-03-2013 01:29 AM

Minnesota for sure, and likely the other Canadian teams.

allan5oh 07-03-2013 01:55 AM

3 of our players are from the area, so it would be pretty hard to "hate" the state of Minnesota.

Reed Solomon 07-03-2013 01:57 AM

We kind of have a rivalry with Phoenix maybe sort of I guess.

Puckschmuck* 07-03-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed Solomon (Post 68543239)
We kind of have a rivalry with Phoenix maybe sort of I guess.

I have nothing but hate for the Coyotes and their fans. Nothing fun about it for me.

Puckschmuck* 07-03-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazaaa (Post 68535467)
Love visiting Minneapolis, such a nice place.

And they love coming to our beautiful city as well. It will be a respectful hate, IMO. That is the kind of hate I enjoy!

SCP Guy 07-03-2013 06:01 AM

I love Minnesota......Great place to visit nice people.....Will make a great rival especially on weekend games when Jets fans invade Excel :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.