HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Colaiacovo to be bought out (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1460109)

joe89 07-02-2013 06:41 PM

Colaiacovo to be bought out

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
#RedWings will buy out D Carlo Colaiacovo. F Todd Bertuzzi will not be bought out.

Jon Cusack 07-02-2013 06:43 PM

How about MFS?

Heaton 07-02-2013 06:44 PM

Colaiacovo to be bought out

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/st...10122535215105

P U L L H A R D 07-02-2013 06:55 PM

> Have way too many forwards on the team

> Buy out the one "extra" (Lashoff shouldn't be in the NHL, IMO) Dman you have

> Ken Holland logic

Henkka 07-02-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Cusack (Post 68507693)
How about MFS?

Quote:

Red Wings News Feed ‏@RedWingsFeed 1m

Probably this. RT @GrahamWIIM: The only reason Samuelsson hasn't been bought out is because of his agent's threat to fight it due to injury
Maybe we are stuck in the situation.

joe89 07-02-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine (Post 68508953)
> Have way too many forwards on the team

> Buy out the one "extra" (Lashoff shouldn't be in the NHL, IMO) Dman you have

> Ken Holland logic

I'm fine with it as long as the money is used to improve up front. Even if Lashoff sits in the pressbox we're gonna have guys in the minors who could get a call up and play.

And remember, still only 12 forwards signed.. Not too many until he actually manages to sign a few.

Vladdy84 07-02-2013 07:00 PM

Ridiculous. No way Holland couldn't trade him for a mid-round pick and or prospect. What a waste. CC was not bad at all when he was on the ice. He was actually pretty good at times. Unless Holland plans on acquiring another Top 4 caliber D-man, we're one injury away from Lashoff time.

Boomhower 07-02-2013 07:03 PM

This could indicate Detroit will be more active in trades/free agency than some people think this offseason.

Why not keep Cola as an extra? Unless you plan to spend right up near the cap limit.

Anyways I like the move, Cola was useless and Almquist should be used as a call up over Cola. Also we only have two years to use the 2 buyouts and nobody is a candidate next season.

P U L L H A R D 07-02-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 68509201)
I'm fine with it as long as the money is used to improve up front. Even if Lashoff sits in the pressbox we're gonna have guys in the minors who could get a call up and play.

And remember, still only 12 forwards signed.. Not too many until he actually manages to sign a few.

Fingers crossed, joe.

The Zetterberg Era 07-02-2013 07:06 PM

Cola >>>>> Lashoff

I don't get it unless moves are coming.

Boomhower 07-02-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladdy84 (Post 68509465)
Ridiculous. No way Holland couldn't trade him for a mid-round pick and or prospect. What a waste. CC was not bad at all when he was on the ice. He was actually pretty good at times. Unless Holland plans on acquiring another Top 4 caliber D-man, we're one injury away from Lashoff time.

He isn't bad, he is terrible. I'm sure Ken Holland knows there is zero market for Cola at 2.5M. Of course he tried to trade. He'll probably even be put on waivers before the buyout happens.

we like our team 07-02-2013 07:08 PM

yeah cola wasn't terrible at all in the playoffs

The Zetterberg Era 07-02-2013 07:09 PM

Is this a straight buyout or a compliance variety?

Boomhower 07-02-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 68510033)
Cola >>>>> Lashoff

I don't get it unless moves are coming.

Well Lashoff saves you 1.8M against the cap vs. Cola.

Smart play by Holland... you don't carry a #7 D-man who has a 2.5M cap hit, that's terrible cap management. And yes I acknowlede Cola is better than Lashoff, but again it's irrelevant.

joe89 07-02-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine (Post 68509837)
Fingers crossed, joe.

Well, just saying it's hard to judge the buyouts before we see how the free agency plays out. If we don't sign any forwards it would suck to have cap space and Lashoff on the roster over Cola. But we're not there yet.

SportsballChic 07-02-2013 07:12 PM

I don't agree with this decision because I believe we'd have gotten away with taxing Lashoff between Det and GR or we could have made Carlo sit.

That having been said. Trade? For what? Some stick tape? Yeah he played fine in the playoffs but are you looking at that market? Nobody who "wants" to move players is having much success. After rumors for weeks of a huge draft day trade bonanza it was actually very quiet.

Maybe everyone knows that Carlo is injury prone, mostly a spare part in team plans and on a 1 year contract?

I think it's silly to assume Holland didn't ring some phones guys. Carlo wasn't worth anything to anyone right now.

Vladdy84 07-02-2013 07:13 PM

I understand it I suppose as a cap move. Still don't buy he couldn't trade CC.

DatsyukToZetterberg 07-02-2013 07:13 PM

I think we're going to see the Wings go after Scuderi/Ference. Hopefully we do buy out Sammy though, I'd like to see the agents case for Samuelsson to be on LTIR.

Boomhower 07-02-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladdy84 (Post 68510627)

Generally players are waived before they are bought out (ala Ballard right now). If nobody picks him up for free, why do you think teams would trade for him?

Vladdy84 07-02-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg (Post 68510677)
I think we're going to see the Wings go after Scuderi/Ference. Hopefully we do buy out Sammy though, I'd like to see the agents case for Samuelsson to be on LTIR.

That would be fine with me.

Unfortunately that won't help our woeful PP and lack of top 6 scoring ability.

Appears to be another year of depending on Jimmy to win 2-1 or 3-2 games.

Bench 07-02-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladdy84 (Post 68510627)

Holland has made it clear he's talked to nearly every team in the league over the last week. If anybody was willing to cough up anything for him, he'd be gone already.

It is what it is. Holland has made mistakes over the years, so you don't need to create phantom ones as well. ;)

YostisHome 07-02-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Smart play by Holland... you don't carry a #7 D-man who has a 2.5M cap hit, that's terrible cap management.
He's the one that got us in that situation... and don't wanna hear the DeKeyser excuse, they were hot on his trail even before CC came into the fold. Lashoff is awful, I hate the fact that he's even around.

Boomhower 07-02-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YostisHome (Post 68511017)
He's the one that got us in that situation... and don't wanna hear the DeKeyser excuse, they were hot on his trail even before CC came into the fold. Lashoff is awful, I hate the fact that he's even around.

Atleast he admitted his mistake and corrected it as best he could. (At the expense of Illitch's checkbook)

You simply can't carry a 7th D man at that price. He is an easy choice for a buyout, this makes perfect sense. Signing him in the first place was the mistake... and he now admits that.

Lashoff's abilities are irelevant to this decision .
Even if Lash wasn't around, Cola should still be bought out and 700K should be invested in a different 7th Dman, happy to have an NHL contract.

Flat out this move just saved us 1.8M in cap space.

The Zetterberg Era 07-02-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhower (Post 68510425)
Well Lashoff saves you 1.8M against the cap vs. Cola.

Smart play by Holland... you don't carry a #7 D-man who has a 2.5M cap hit, that's terrible cap management. And yes I acknowlede Cola is better than Lashoff, but again it's irrelevant.

Only a concern if you expect us to be pushed right up against the cap. Protecting a guy that should be waiver fodder and in the AHL after clearing (without cap implications) is not something I care about. Lashoff will make 2.4 million over the next three years and the guy has done nothing to show he is an NHL caliber D-man aside from wowing Babcock, how I am not sure.

I don't get it, he was the fourth best D-man in Grand Rapids during the Calder Cup run if that didn't scream help, I don't even..... Have a feeling Lashoff is going to be my least favorite Wings player ever. God I hope he has a good off-season because he needs one, the idea that the first player going down to injury means Lashoff right now is scary as hell.

joe89 07-02-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 68511441)
Only a concern if you expect us to be pushed right up against the cap. Protecting a guy that should be waiver fodder and in the AHL after clearing (without cap implications) is not something I care about. Lashoff will make 2.4 million over the next three years and the guy has done nothing to show he is an NHL caliber D-man aside from wowing Babcock, how I am not sure.

I don't get it, he was the fourth best D-man in Grand Rapids during the Calder Cup run if that didn't scream help, I don't even..... Have a feeling Lashoff is going to be my least favorite Wings player ever. God I hope he has a good off-season because he needs one, the idea that the first player going down to injury means Lashoff right now is scary as hell.

We are kinda close to the cap, it won't take much at all. $10M now to be exact. Smith ~1.5-2, Nyquist ~1.5, Andersson ~800k-1. About $6M after those three are signed, if not less. That's just a million more in space than Weiss commands. Even to sign Brunner and Cleary they'd need to get Cola off the books.