HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   The cost ($$) of youth hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1460165)

LadyStanley 07-02-2013 07:36 PM

The cost ($$) of youth hockey

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...l-youth-hockey

Dad adds up the cost of ten years of hockey.

Quote:

The first time she wore hockey skates at a clinic, I remember a father berating a son who refused to go on the ice. "I just spent $100 on equipment. You better get out there." Hah! Take the skates we put on her now. Elizabeth has had five pairs of Bauer skates at an average price of $200. (Fortunately, her feet have never grown into the adult range, when a topline pair goes for more than $500.) Because she plays for both the school and travel teams, she goes through two sets of blades a year, so additional steel has cost us an estimated $300. Then there's the sharpening: $5 once a week for 25 weeks, times 10 years, equals $1,250. Throw in $50 for broken laces and lost blade covers. And a recent $45 for shoe repair -- her left skate was literally blown apart by a puck in the last period of the victory that got her to San Jose. But we knew a guy who knew a guy who offered to sew up the toe box so she wouldn't have to break in a new pair right away.
Skates: $2,645.
Helmets: $1,250.

Elbow pads: $150. Shin guards: $180.
Gloves: $400.
Febreze spray and drier sheets: $15.
Special hockey detergent: $40.
Sticks: $1,750.
Neck guards (7): $70
Shoulder pads (3): $270
UnderArmour (6): $150
Practice jerseys (5): $100
Pelvic protectors (5): $100 Pants (4): $240
Shells (4): $40
Undersocks (10): $100
Practice socks (5): $50
Bags (4): $200
Black tape: $300
White tape: $50
Clear tape: $200
Stick wax: $50
Travel (transportation, lodging, meals): $10,500 Club dues: $20,000
Camps, clinics, and lessons: $10,000
Grand total: $48,850

Tramontane Sirocco 07-02-2013 07:42 PM

wow... I only ever played street hockey, being turned down by teams for being too small (something about being too small for a goalie)
I made a cup out of an elbow pad, no helmet... obstructed my vision... good times

No Fun Shogun 07-02-2013 08:11 PM

Well.... that certainly makes me feel good about my decision to have my hypothetical future kids play hockey....

epo 07-02-2013 08:30 PM

This guy clearly wasn't worried about money along the way, so why does he care now?

nubber 07-02-2013 08:49 PM

sounds about right. shelled out around 6K for my boys hockey this season.

DyerMaker66 07-02-2013 08:59 PM

People buy new blades for their skates once/twice a year, get their skates sharpened once a week, buy blade covers, and spend 20,000 dollars on "Club dues"? And I thought I was privileged.

TCNorthstars 07-02-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 68512557)
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...l-youth-hockey

Dad adds up the cost of ten years of hockey.

[/B]

And that is why my parents said they couldn't afford for me to play ice hockey! I guess they were saving up for college or something. Stupid priorities!:laugh:

Inkling 07-02-2013 11:38 PM

You can spend that much on minor hockey, but you don't have to.

You can spend that much on pretty much any hobby if you try hard enough.

DatsyukToZetterberg 07-03-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 (Post 68518559)
People buy new blades for their skates once/twice a year, get their skates sharpened once a week, buy blade covers, and spend 20,000 dollars on "Club dues"? And I thought I was privileged.

It's not that outrageous in my last year of midget hockey I skated for around 12 hours a week I'd need my skates sharpened at least once a week.

I only started playing hockey in grade 5 so I guess my parents saved some money there. I also never played on any travel teams so all the had to pay was the minor hockey registration fee, around $500 I think & you got a deal if you had more than one child playing. So in my 8 years of minor hockey I'd say I cost my parents $4825 in registration fees, $800 for a tournament in Moncton, say $200 for all my try-outs & at least $3500 on gear. So all together it's around $8525 & that's not counting any of the gas money they spent to get me to the games.

I think one thing that saved them money was I was never good enough for any All-Star team until Midget, saved them an extra $400 per year + travel costs + Tournament fees. The other big one was that if I wanted a good stick I had to buy it with my own money. For example if I wanted a $125 stick instead of the $50 dollar one I had to pay the $75 difference & for the last 4 years of my "career" I had to buy all of my own sticks if I had money in the bank, which was always. :laugh:

Even now they'll still buy my hockey gear, this past year they went 1/2 with my on an APX & I got a new helmet as well. As a student it's hard to afford gear at all so I'm really quite grateful for the extra help.

KingLB 07-03-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg (Post 68535905)
It's not that outrageous in my last year of midget hockey I skated for around 12 hours a week I'd need my skates sharpened at least once a week.

I only started playing hockey in grade 5 so I guess my parents saved some money there. I also never played on any travel teams so all the had to pay was the minor hockey registration fee, around $500 I think & you got a deal if you had more than one child playing. So in my 8 years of minor hockey I'd say I cost my parents $4825 in registration fees, $800 for a tournament in Moncton, say $200 for all my try-outs & at least $3500 on gear. So all together it's around $8525 & that's not counting any of the gas money they spent to get me to the games.

I think one thing that saved them money was I was never good enough for any All-Star team until Midget, saved them an extra $400 per year + travel costs + Tournament fees. The other big one was that if I wanted a good stick I had to buy it with my own money. For example if I wanted a $125 stick instead of the $50 dollar one I had to pay the $75 difference & for the last 4 years of my "career" I had to buy all of my own sticks if I had money in the bank, which was always. :laugh:

Even now they'll still buy my hockey gear, this past year they went 1/2 with my on an APX & I got a new helmet as well. As a student it's hard to afford gear at all so I'm really quite grateful for the extra help.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Who gets their skates sharpened that often....let alone getting the blades replaced that much....Oh and how does someone go through 7 neck guards?? Its not like you grow out of them.

That said, he is lucky she wasn't a guy playing high level hockey. Many of the people I knew playing AAA had much higher dues. And would burn through couple hundred dollar sticks about once of month or quicker. Let alone stuff like practice jerseys/shells/bags are usually part of the team dues...

Victorious Secret 07-03-2013 12:23 AM

My future kids can grow to love basketball.

Q Continuum 07-03-2013 01:08 AM

My future kids are playing rugby.

Hockey has become a total rich kid sport.

DatsyukToZetterberg 07-03-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLB (Post 68536673)
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Who gets their skates sharpened that often....let alone getting the blades replaced that much....Oh and how does someone go through 7 neck guards?? Its not like you grow out of them.

That said, he is lucky she wasn't a guy playing high level hockey. Many of the people I knew playing AAA had much higher dues. And would burn through couple hundred dollar sticks about once of month or quicker. Let alone stuff like practice jerseys/shells/bags are usually part of the team dues...

Yep, here in St.John's IIRC it's around $6000, if not more, to play Major Midget. The main goal in playing that level of hockey is to get drafted either to the Q or the NHL but anyone who has any future in hockey has already moved to the mainland to pursue that because the talent level is so low here. You're much better off saving $4500 & just playing in your local AAA/High school league once you get to the Midget age.

My dad likes to remind me that by putting me & my younger brother through hockey my parents gave up on family vacations, home renovations & fixing up his favorite car. The funny thing is I think both my mom & dad got more enjoyment out of going to the games & helping coach/mange the teams I played on so there are positives in this.

Victorious Secret 07-03-2013 01:30 AM

I'd hate to see the goalie prices. Wow.

tarheelhockey 07-03-2013 08:09 AM

This is going to kill the game at the grassroots level.

epo 07-03-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 68548829)
This is going to kill the game at the grassroots level.

It might be part of the cause of slow growth, but it has always been there.

ducky 07-03-2013 08:52 AM

Hockey tends to cost more because of all the equipment PLUS the cost of ice rental...but if you have a child playing on any representative team in any sport, it costs.

My son's last year in soccer cost over $6,000 when you count travel costs, registration fees, tournament fees, $400 for cleats, etc

theaub 07-03-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky (Post 68550575)
My son's last year in soccer cost over $6,000 when you count travel costs, registration fees, tournament fees, $400 for cleats, etc

Yup, and if you play for a top-end provincial level baseball team in Ontario (Team Ontario, Ontario Blue Jays etc), the yearly fees can be up to $12K alone. The lower end elite level teams are about $4-$5K.

Hockey is far from alone when it comes to being expensive, especially at a high performance level.

tarheelhockey 07-03-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epo (Post 68550805)
It might be part of the cause of slow growth, but it has always been there.

There's no question, though, that the middle class is being squeezed out of the sport. Just look at the demographic backgrounds of players being drafted today.

Rabid Ranger 07-03-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 68537213)
My future kids can grow to love basketball.

Canada's are....

Bure All Day 07-03-2013 10:09 AM

Costs the most because it is the best... that simple..

I played minor hockey from about 7-17, average reg. fee alone is $600 per year, not including tourny fees and travel costs (hotels) so all that stuff before any equipment at all costs probably $1500 minimum.. and my parents had me and my brother to worry about..

Didn't need to buy all new equipment every year, probably $400 per year minimum for new gear, sticks etc..

Never really realized the total cost, looks like about $30 grand for 10 years minimum, only played competitively a few of those years, which are always more expensive as well

Crease 07-03-2013 10:20 AM

What are the major determing factors behind league dues? Is it the cost of ice time?

jamo27 07-03-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 68555289)
What are the major determing factors behind league dues? Is it the cost of ice time?

I manage my son's peewee rep team. The bulk of the costs from team fees/ league dues are ice time, tourney entry fees, dryland training and paying for refs. Add in a team jacket/uniform and it comes out to about $1500 to $2000 for the season. That isn't including hotel rooms, eating when out of town etc.

Rocko604 07-03-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 68515275)
Well.... that certainly makes me feel good about my decision to have my hypothetical future kids play hockey....

Same here.

I think a rugby ball will be going in their cribs. :laugh:

Brodie 07-03-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky (Post 68550575)
Hockey tends to cost more because of all the equipment PLUS the cost of ice rental...but if you have a child playing on any representative team in any sport, it costs.

so still 7 times cheaper than the girl in the article? Yes, high level youth sports are expensive (usually that's mostly down to the travel aspect), but hockey is ridiculous. I'm willing to bet the number of people on this board (from the US) who played the game on ice as opposed to roller blades as kids is pretty low.

I think in the long term, and I mean the really long term here, this will eventually be what pushes soccer past hockey. Soccer has the ability to capture and develop better athletes because it's cheaper and it already has the bigger event stage. If, one day 50 years from now, the US were a World Cup caliber squad that'd be big. Hockey won't go away or anything, but it's increasingly a sport for the upper middle class. That's never a good trajectory for a sport.