HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LeBrun: The Canadiens, Devils, Islanders, and Predators interested in Briere [Signs w/ MON] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1460571)

AtlantaWhaler 07-03-2013 07:40 AM

The Canadiens, Devils, Islanders, and Predators interested in Briere [Signs w/ MON]

Quote:

The focus now shifts to fellow buyout unrestricted free agent Danny Briere before the rest of the UFA market opens Friday. The Canadiens, having lost out on Lecavalier, made contact with Briere's camp Tuesday night, a source confirmed to ESPN.com. Sources also indicated that the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and Nashville Predators are among the teams to show solid interest in Briere and have already spoken to the Briere camp, which is led by agent Pat Brisson. Other teams were expected to contact Briere's camp Tuesday night and Wednesday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ake-the-plunge

desmond 07-03-2013 07:42 AM

Garth should be all over this.

sharks9 07-03-2013 07:42 AM

Ugh, why? He's old, short and we don't need him at all.

bleedgreen 07-03-2013 07:44 AM

Pretty much every team in the league could use him.

Alchemy 07-03-2013 07:44 AM

Devils are the favorite IMO. Closer to his kids and a legit shot to rebound next year to make the playoffs.

Nashansen 07-03-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm0ka47 (Post 68546597)
Devils are the favorite IMO. Closer to his kids and a legit shot to rebound next year to make the playoffs.

True on closer to the kids, Preds will rebound next year for sure if they can stay healthy unlike last year.

Adam Spylo 07-03-2013 07:56 AM

I really hope the Habs stay away from Briere. He absolutely doesn't fill any needs.

19NYSports91 07-03-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm0ka47 (Post 68546597)

Healthy Kovalchuk, Cory Schneider, and possibly Briere for next year. As an Isles fan I don't like it at all lol.

CaptPantalones 07-03-2013 07:57 AM

Per the buffalo news and briere himself, the sabres are in on briere as well

KingsFan7824 07-03-2013 08:05 AM

Unless he's completely shot, he's still averaging decent 2nd line numbers over the last two years. His previous cap hit is too much obviously, but bring him in on a 1 or 2 year deal, maybe $4 million on the 1 year, $6 million over 2, it wouldn't be a terrible option.

Kevin27nyi 07-03-2013 08:07 AM

Put him with Tavares. His skills and playmaking will compliment him nicely.

Jee 07-03-2013 08:07 AM

**** him.

StefanW 07-03-2013 08:12 AM

I never bought the whole "closer to his kids" bs that was peddled when he refused to be traded. In my opinion he wanted to be bought out so he would not have to play for 3 mill and 2 mill in the last two years of his back diving contract. Now that he is bought out he gets part of that amount and some team will sign him for about 4. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think the dollars had way more impact on what he was doing that anything else. And I don't blame him one bit, because he'll be able to make millions more in what will probably be his last contract.

seafoam 07-03-2013 08:14 AM

He would be perfect for the Islanders. i just hope the Islanders are perfect for him.

Devilsfan118 07-03-2013 08:20 AM

I suspect there's a good chance he ends up with the Devils, since his kids are already located in South Jersey and the Devils could desperately use some offense. Just hope the cost isn't too bad.

I always hated his midget little fist pump thing, but whatever.

Steve Kournianos 07-03-2013 08:21 AM

Briere is like Whitney -- age doesnt matter.

Zajacs Bowl Cut 07-03-2013 08:30 AM

really would like to see NJ go in a different direction. I watched him a lot in Philly and he is on a steep decline.

Davebo* 07-03-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jee (Post 68547019)
**** him.

I agree with ^this guy^...

MSSLYNX 07-03-2013 08:47 AM

Briere would be an upgrade on Desharnais. Bergevin looking for bigger bodies. :D

dougiebrown 07-03-2013 08:50 AM

Well, if Vinny's deal is worth $4.5 per season, I'm guessing Briere would be $3.5-4?

KaossKing 07-03-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougiebrown (Post 68548175)
Well, if Vinny's deal is worth $4.5 per season, I'm guessing Briere would be $3.5-4?

you forgot the Holmgren Factor

IceDaddy 07-03-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jee (Post 68547019)
**** him.

This.

do not want Briere

HBK27 07-03-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StefanW (Post 68547115)
I never bought the whole "closer to his kids" bs that was peddled when he refused to be traded. In my opinion he wanted to be bought out so he would not have to play for 3 mill and 2 mill in the last two years of his back diving contract. Now that he is bought out he gets part of that amount and some team will sign him for about 4. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think the dollars had way more impact on what he was doing that anything else. And I don't blame him one bit, because he'll be able to make millions more in what will probably be his last contract.

Not really that familiar with Briere's personal situation - maybe someone can fill me in? Assuming he's divored with young kids that are going to stay in the Philly area?

As a father of a 5 & 2 year old, I cannot imagine not seeing them every day let alone having to live far away from them. Again, without really know much about his situation I would have a hard time believing the decision not to be traded would be financially driven given the amount of money he's already banked in his career vs. wanting to be around for your kids.

Would love to see him come to NJ & they could really use him in their top 6, especially with Clarkson all but gone. I'm sure Lou will make a competitive offer and has said he would try to rebuild the offense through free agency. Fortunately for Briere if staying near his kids is a priority he could still probably live within an hours drive of Philly while still being only 30-45 minutes from Newark.

MSSLYNX 07-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougiebrown (Post 68548175)

Worth or cost? Not the same imo.

Contrary to Vincent, Daniel is indeed declining in production.

KaossKing 07-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBK27 (Post 68550315)
Not really that familiar with Briere's personal situation - maybe someone can fill me in? Assuming he's divored with young kids that are going to stay in the Philly area?

As a father of a 5 & 2 year old, I cannot imagine not seeing them every day let alone having to live far away from them. Again, without really know much about his situation I would have a hard time believing the decision not to be traded would be financially driven given the amount of money he's already banked in his career vs. wanting to be around for your kids.

Would love to see him come to NJ & they could really use him in their top 6, especially with Clarkson all but gone. I'm sure Lou will make a competitive offer and has said he would try to rebuild the offense through free agency. Fortunately for Briere if staying near his kids is a priority he could still probably live within an hours drive of Philly while still being only 30-45 minutes from Newark.

his kids live in South Jersey