HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LeBrun: Devils 'very interested' in Ryane Clowe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1461715)

Kershaw 07-04-2013 02:37 PM

Devils 'very interested' in Ryane Clowe

Quote:

Pierre LeBrun Pierre ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

NJ and Montreal were among several suitors for Ryane Clowe. Told Habs are out now. Devils very interested in Clowe.

Habs are out.

AfroThunder396 07-04-2013 02:41 PM

Losing Clarkson and bringing in Clowe seems like a lateral move to me. If it's cheap I wouldn't mind it but I don't see how he'd be an upgrade.

The Great Dame 07-04-2013 02:41 PM

I would like him as a Clarkson replacement, would be very pleased if we get him and Briere.

Last year was a nightmare season for him but hopefully he can bounce back.

Kershaw 07-04-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 (Post 68628419)
Losing Clarkson and bringing in Clowe seems like a lateral move to me. If it's cheap I wouldn't mind it but I don't see how he'd be an upgrade.

Clowe suffered 3 concussions and had 3 goals last year. A goal for each concussion.

Sypher04 07-04-2013 02:42 PM

I would say Clowe at this point in time is a downgrade on Clarkson, but he should come at a much more reasonable cap figure, so in the end it could be regarded as a win.

glasgow26 07-04-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 (Post 68628419)

Clowe is a more consistent player with a better track record. I might be biased because I'm a Sharks fan, but I think he's a much better player than Clarkson is. Had a bad year last year but he was injured pretty much all year. The only concern is if he can stay healthy now.

MJMazzarone 07-04-2013 02:43 PM

Personally Clowe to me would be a downgrade to Clarkson but he'd be cheap enough that the Devils could make another move or two.

Fact is Clarkson while a great character player just wants way too much money for what he brings. Clowe might be a downgrade but he'd be a suitable replacement as long as he doesn't get another concussion.

Rob Nieds work ethic 07-04-2013 02:43 PM

Replacement for Clarkson.

Devilswede (has inside sources) on the team board has stated that Lou loves Clowe, and that we were after him at the deadline.

Devilsfan92 07-04-2013 02:43 PM

I like it as a replacement for Clarkson. Should cost a hell of a lot less.

Might get Briere and Clowe for less than what Clarkson wants.

Mats Zuccarelli 07-04-2013 02:45 PM

Can the Rangers still trade his rights?

Enoch 07-04-2013 02:46 PM

Honest question: how can a team that is hemorrhaging money spend much of anything above the cap floor? I'm guessing the Devils financial situation has changed?

Mickey Mouse 07-04-2013 02:47 PM

Not sure how I feel about this, but if he can skate without falling down it'll be a plus.

MountainGoat 07-04-2013 02:51 PM

3 concussions? that's scary, I wouldn't mind having him if he's cheap enough though, I don't think he's that far of a downgrade at this point
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 68629213)
Honest question: how can a team that is hemorrhaging money spend much of anything above the cap floor? I'm guessing the Devils financial situation has changed?

it's not the team, it's our owner that is having problems but it's clear it wont effect the product on ice

mcsauer2738 07-04-2013 02:52 PM

He's looking for a fortune. This is going to be a signing that teams will regret, regardless of who signs him. Look for 5 years 4-5 mill per.

RangerBoy 07-04-2013 02:53 PM

Clowe wants big dollars and major term. He wanted $34M over 8 years from San Jose. Teams had permission to negotiate a contract with Kent Hughes at the trading deadline. There was a report Philly and Clowe had agreed to $30M over 8 years but Philly couldn't agree to a trade with SJ.

ghdi 07-04-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Rash (Post 68629119)

I dont think so. I think previous contracts have expired. It wouldnt matter anyway, he would still be UFA in less than 24 hours if they traded his rights today.

I'm fine with Clowe, but its the terms and what else we may or may not do that will decide the situation for me.

Barney Gumble 07-04-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJMazzarone (Post 68628705)
Personally Clowe to me would be a downgrade to Clarkson but he'd be cheap enough that the Devils could make another move or two.

Barring a long-term deal, I don't see Clowe signing that cheap a deal.

RangerBoy 07-04-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Rash (Post 68629119)

Why would a team trade for Clowe's rights when the CBA allows them to talk with Clowe right now? Free agency started yesterday.

Stevens 4 07-04-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

People continually misunderstand that it is the owner who is having serious financial problems, the team is doing alright(but not fantastic).

I'd take Clowe on a short term deal, would be a good pickup.

lbrowne 07-04-2013 02:57 PM

I really can't see how anyone would think Clowe would be a downgrade over Clarkson aside from his injuries this past season. You got to take off the goggles.

Clowe is the better player. Better play-maker, better fighter, great character guy too.

I hope the Rangers could someone figure out how to keep him.

RangerBoy 07-04-2013 02:57 PM

Clowe got concussed twice in 2 weeks with the Rangers. Larry Brooks claims Clowe suffered a previous concussion in SJ. He took a nasty by Doughty which caused Clowe to miss time. Looked like a shoulder injury. Maybe it was a concussion. Who knows.

ghdi 07-04-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Its not that simple. We've been spending well above the cap floor since the cap was instituted. The financial situation is not as bad as some media types are wanting to make it out to be. Hell, we offered Parise more money to stay last year and we're clearly playing this offseason.

Our owner lost his partner last year and has a lot of debt, but the debt is tied up in the arena, not in the team itself. The team also just got a very good deal approved with the city of Newark. There's also rumors that he has a new partner about to be named, some Canadian guy.

Im going off the top of my head with this info, so it may be off or incomplete, but its obvious that the financial death of the Devils was a presumption that the league and team both came out and denied the day the Post and Fortune articles appeared.

Fayne Staley 07-04-2013 03:00 PM

Depends on the price, don't particularly like it considering his concussions.

JawandaPuck 07-04-2013 03:01 PM

Makes sense, replace one powerforward with another.

Mats Zuccarelli 07-04-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 68630115)
Why would a team trade for Clowe's rights when the CBA allows them to talk with Clowe right now? Free agency started yesterday.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
Clarification on free agent window, All teams received a memo from the NHL this afternoon stating No negotiation or verbal offers allowed.

And if a team really wants him, they could sign him today before he hits the open market