HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Is Mike Gillis a good GM? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1462251)

Nazem Gretzky 07-04-2013 11:04 PM

Is Mike Gillis a good GM?

What are your thoughts on this? I'd like to hear all perspectives, both Vancouver fans and other NHL fans.

Quarter 07-04-2013 11:06 PM

Not since the Schneider trade. Even before then, it's debatable.

I don't know.

me2 07-04-2013 11:10 PM

The OP doth protest too much.

tanker12471 07-04-2013 11:11 PM

a good gm making the worst moves possible

TheHudlinator 07-04-2013 11:11 PM

Mostly meh. Some good moves some bad moves. It kinda all evens out into meh.

DKQ 07-04-2013 11:16 PM

Good at re-signing his players to reasonable deals. Poor at drafting, bad at trades and is sometimes too indecisive (not firing AV, not dealing with his goalie issue). I'd say he's a pretty bad GM

TBIF 07-04-2013 11:20 PM

He turns water into wine, then back into water, how ever it is the freshest glacier water you'll ever taste.

Falconator 07-04-2013 11:22 PM

My honest opinion is he's just an ok GM. He had a great draft this year, he's done some great off-ice things for the franchise, he added a lot of depth when he got here. That said, he's definitely had his share of mistakes. Most GM's do, whether fans will admit it or not.

TBIF 07-04-2013 11:27 PM

Seriously what do you possibly expect an answer to be? Everyone else will say he sucks, if anyone defends him it'll be the typical canuck bash that goes happens on the main board.

Someone will point out a good trade, response: Lulz look at the schneider trade.

Someone will bring up free agents, response: Lulz they wanted to play there any gm could do that

Someone will bring up with draft, response: Lulz only hodgson (also revert back to trades)

He's won some trades, signed some new core pieces, and has replenished our prospect pool better then Nonis or Burke has. He's won a GM of the year award, two straight president trophies and within a game of the stanley cup.

He's replaced his coaching staff, implemented new strategies which obviously work, and has taken a middle of the pack canucks team to new heights.

This is obviously his make it or break it year coming up as all GMs have a shelf life. But looking back he's done a great job with this organization.

Hab-a-maniac 07-04-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKQ (Post 68679199)
Good at re-signing his players to reasonable deals. Poor at drafting, bad at trades and is sometimes too indecisive (not firing AV, not dealing with his goalie issue). I'd say he's a pretty bad GM

I'd say so far he's been okay, kinda average but not pretty bad. I know some say Nonis/Burke/AV did it all but no GM whose team has the most wins since he stepped into the job five years ago can be called a pretty bad GM. Mike Milbury, now there was a pretty bad GM. If Gillis is pretty bad so are 2/3 of the league's GMs. Agreed on the first front about his signings. Louie deal sucked but mostly became an albatross due to the CBA's ruling. Trades haven't gone well the last 2 years so he has a mixed bag there. Mostly been bad on that.

Poor at drafting? How do you even know this when his first draft was 2009? We haven't even seen what his prospects end up doing yet! Drafted Hodgson right? (or does that not count even though he's liked on Hf? If it's perfectly fine to call Hodgson a blue chipper they never shoulda traded, then give Gillis and co. credit for drafting him but blame him if Kassian doesn't pan out. That trade is also TBD). Get back to me on that one in 3-5 years lol. He's brought innovations off the ice that most haven't seen with sleep and travel strategies but without a Cup no one takes it seriously in the closed-minded hockey world. They scoff at the Nucks like the baseball purists scoffed at Billy Beane's Moneyball A's cause they couldn't win the big one.

Todds Chiropractory 07-04-2013 11:28 PM

Yes. A lot of his "bad moves" looked fine at the time and a lot of his criticism is based on hindsight and trading away fan favorites for the overall long term benefit of te team.

His 3 Most Criticized moves:

Ballard Trade:

When we needed non-injury prone defenseman badly, and were clearly in a "win-now" mode, the Ballard trade was a good move. We had no room for Grabner on this team and at the time it was clear that Raymond was the favorable candidate, and no defenseman drafted that late could have made an impact for years, and Ballard had been a strong offense defenseman who had played 82 games the past 3 seasons. Between the additions of him and Hamhuis we were very excited as a fan base for our defense, to the point where a lot of us were calling for Bieksa to be moved in favor of the new guys (thank god it MG did'nt)

Hodgson Trade
Its ridiculous that he has gotten as much heat as he has for this. The fans were calling for the addition of more toughness in a scoring role, where here is your answer. Yes we have to wait for this one to grow, but when you have Sedin and Kesler locked in there is no use for a player of Hodgsons skillset, and based on all of the off ice trade demands etc. this was a very good return. And really we cant criticize this one way or another for years to come.

Schneider Trade
Its this simple. 2 great goalies. Option of getting nothing for one, or a great young forward for the other. You make the move that puts your team in better long term shape, and that was moving Schneider. It makes no sense to rid your team of a star for nothing, when you can move the other star for something. Could have Gillis given less to the media to make it less of a foregone conclusion that Lu was being shopped, yes absolutely. But with the amount of coverage and day by day prying of the Vancouver media about this issue I don't blame him for cracking and tipping his hand, helping to create the "controversy" surrounding it.

He has been a fantastic contract negotiator getting our core locked up for well below market value, he has brought in new ways of approaching sleep, travel and recovery methods that have benefitted the team. Ultimately during his tenure as GM the Canucks have remained at the top of their division and cup contender every year, and until that changes I don't see how you can say he isn't doing a good job. When he came in he had to make big decisions around the framework of the team, and this summer he is facing a similar transition period. He did a great job last time, lets see how he does now.

LeafOfBread 07-04-2013 11:30 PM

No. He's very overrated, and a pompous arrogant ass. I feel like him being a former agent, he often lets his agent mentality come into play as a GM.

He's done a decent job with re-signing players, but that's about it. And the one contract that he ****ed up, it created a whole media circus that lasted a very long time.

Seatoo 07-04-2013 11:32 PM

Gillis is great with Free Agent signings i.e getting them to take discounts; however Gillis is bad at trading. I guess that makes him the exact opposite of Burke :laugh: great trader but terrible with FAs

Edit: In regards to Luongos deal the ownership pushed that deal not GMMG. He refused that type of deal for the twins.

trentmccleary 07-04-2013 11:32 PM

His drafts have added little to nothing to the team in 5 years, after taking over a poor drafting record.

He seems confused by playoff hockey and the way it has been played since time began. He doesn't seem to understand why it's a bad idea to surround his two midget stars with more midgets (Burrows, Raymond, D. Roy). Heck, their "big guys" are small compared to the majority of teams. How can he not understand that the smallest guy in the prison shower is the one who is going to get ****-****ed?

Beyond re-sign Burke & Nonis acquisitions, what has he accomplished? :dunno:

topchowda 07-04-2013 11:34 PM

No, his FA signings were good, but just about any GM could have signed those players who wanted to come home.

Trades have been meh. His performance has been meh, not bad, not great

crt 07-04-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafOfBread (Post 68680065)
No. He's very overrated, and a pompous arrogant ass. I feel like him being a former agent, he often lets his agent mentality come into play as a GM.

He's done a decent job with re-signing players, but that's about it. And the one contract that he ****ed up, it created a whole media circus that lasted a very long time.

He really does represent that team - smug and arrogant.

Virtanen2Horvat 07-04-2013 11:41 PM

Well I know there is a lot of hate ever since that Schneider trade. I seriously only see a year or two left and he is going to have to do something that is going to help the team. I was happy about Gillis getting that 9th overall but still he should have got a 3rd liner or young prospect at least to go with it.

I love his scouting when it comes to rookies and some of his trades but I don't think that a inexperienced GM is going to last long. I rather have Gilman or someone with experience.

KPower 07-04-2013 11:44 PM

He's terrible but Feaster is worse.

Soth 07-04-2013 11:44 PM

I personally think he is one of the top 5 gms in the nhl.

Every GM makes mistakes, and for some reason Gillis's mistakes get put in a huge spotlight... especially by Toronto fans for some reason.

Bottom line, Vancouver smelled like poo poo for free agents before Gillis turned things around. Now we attract solid FA signings and that has made a huge difference.

Also, he signs players to amazing contracts. Kesler at 5m, edler at 5m, sedins below 7. Every core player takes a discount.

Drafts late every year, but keeps the nucks in contention every year. Best GM we've ever had. People are free to say otherwise, but his record speaks for itself.

Butch 19 07-04-2013 11:44 PM

Like I have the time or desire to analyze 29 other GMs?

Alchemy 07-04-2013 11:44 PM

What has he done but inherited most of his core from the two other GMs before him? His draft record sucks. He hasn't produced an legit NHLer yet. The one he could have but he traded was Hodogson but he traded him. Even then that's just one. The Ballard trade was a huge flop. The Roy trade didn't pan out. The Luongo situation be botched.

He has had a couple good free agent signings but as far as putting his stamp on the team(drafting) he has been absolutely atrocious. Nucks fans should be concerned.

TBIF 07-04-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentmccleary (Post 68680147)
His drafts have added little to nothing to the team in 5 years, after taking over a poor drafting record.

He seems confused by playoff hockey and the way it has been played since time began. He doesn't seem to understand why it's a bad idea to surround his two midget stars with more midgets (Burrows, Raymond, D. Roy). Heck, their "big guys" are small compared to the majority of teams. How can he not understand that the smallest guy in the prison shower is the one who is going to get ****-****ed?

Beyond re-sign Burke & Nonis acquisitions, what has he accomplished? :dunno:

Hodgson is contributing to Buffalo and everyone thought he was a blue chipper who shouldn't have been traded?

Schroeder was playing well last year and will look to do even better under Torts. Besides that, there are only 40 players from his draft year (one being his own teammate) that have played more games, of those 40, 14 have played 100 or more games. Not sure what else you expect from the 24th overall drafted player.

in 2010 the canucks didn't draft until the 4th round. Only 39 players from that draft year have even played a single game in the NHL. 8 of which add more then little or nothing to their respective teams.

In 2011, the Canucks with the 29th overall pick selected Jensen. Jensen turned it up in the SEL this year then got some looks with the big club and should contend for a top 9 spot this coming season. From 2011 21 players have suited up for their teams.

Of the 2012 drafted players, a whopping 6 players have even so much as suited up for their teams.

What else do you really expect?

nucks88 07-04-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm0ka47 (Post 68680741)
What has he done but inherited most of his core from the two other GMs before him? His draft record sucks. He hasn't produced an legit NHLer yet. The one he could have but he traded was Hodogson but he traded him. Even then that's just one. The Ballard trade was a huge flop. The Roy trade didn't pan out. The Luongo situation be botched.

He has had a couple good free agent signings but as far as putting his stamp on the team(drafting) he has been absolutely atrocious. Nucks fans should be concerned.

Yeah he's no Paul Holmgren:sarcasm:

kmad 07-04-2013 11:56 PM

Average.

LAX attack* 07-05-2013 12:04 AM

i think hes above average. ehrhoff is microcosmic of his virtues and faults. acquiring him was a keen move, hes solid with the money ball aspects of the game. but letting him walk was indicative of his lack of vision for the team.