HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Players You Like Even Though You Were Too Young/Not Alive to See Them (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1464481)

saskriders 07-07-2013 01:55 AM

Players You Like Even Though You Were Too Young/Not Alive to See Them

Who are players you never saw, but for whatever reason like?

For me it is Esa Tikkanen, Hakan Loob, and Clint Benedict

Killion 07-07-2013 02:23 AM

Sprague Cleghorn
Cecil Dye
Shorty Green
Newsy Lalonde
Percy LeSueur
Joe Malone
Paddy Moran
Didier Pitre
Georges Vezina
Cyclone Taylor
King Clancy
Roy Worters
Howie Morenz
Sid Abel
Frankie Brimsek
Charlie Conacher
Red Horner
Aurel Joliat
Joe Primeau
Eddie Shore
Maurice Richard
Turk Broda
Bill Durnan
Harry Lumley

VanIslander 07-07-2013 03:31 AM

Of the 800 all-time greats drafted in ATD 2013, here are the ones whose bios make me most wish I'd seen in games:

Jean Beliveau, C
Eddie Shore, D
Jacques Plante, G
Cyclone Taylor, C/D
Bill Cook, RW
Boris Mikhailov, RW
Aurel Joliat, LW
Johnny Bucyk, LW
Lionel Conacher, D
Busher Jackson, LW
Ernie "Moose" Johnson, D
Georges Vezina, G
Harvey Pulford, D
Didier Pitre, RW/D
Vladimir Lutchenko, D
Russell Bowie - C
Vyacheslav Starshinov, C
Hugh Lehman, G
Jim Neilson, D
Frank McGee, C
Alf Smith, LW/RW
"Bullet" Joe Simpson, D
Herbie Lewis, LW
Neil Colville, C/D
George Hay, LW
Anatoli Tarasov, Coach
Jack Darragh, RW
J.P. Parise, LW
George McNamara, D
Wilf Paiement, RW
Vladimir Vikulov, RW/C
Dan Bain, C
John McKenzie, RW
Hamby Shore, D
Dollard St. Laurent, D
Marty Walsh, C
Percy LeSueur, G
Fred Lake, D
Art Ross, coach
Boris Mayorov, W
Rejean Houle, W
Dick Irvin, C
Johnny Wilson, LW
Howard McNamara, D
John Ross Roach, G
Goldie Prodger, D/W
Harold "Mush" March, RW
Yevgeni Babich, RW
Billy Reay, coach
Pete Muldoon, coach
Riley Hern, G
Sven "Tumba" Johansson, C
Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh, LW
Rick Ley, D
Paddy Moran, G
Tom Paton, G
Karel Gut, coach

A lot of them are big and strong or at least fast and tenacious; then there are charismatic goalies and lively, intriguing coaches.

TheDevilMadeMe 07-07-2013 03:36 AM

Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, and Serge Savard appeal to me. Combination of brains and relentless but clean play.

Charlie Gardiner is a tragic but great story.

Pajicz 07-07-2013 03:59 AM

Not a player, but the 80's Oilers is a team that I would've really wanted to see live...

Seen a lot of footage from back then of course, but it's just not the same.

Darth Yoda 07-07-2013 04:07 AM

Claude Lemieux. I was old enough but we could hardly watch the games over here in Sweden in the nineties, but i always liked him back then as well. Skated relentlessly although not with the same type of finesse he later displayed on Battle of the Blades, took the shot all the time(Not sure if that's a good thing, but fun.), and for sure i'm one of the people that enjoyed watching on YouTube his giveback to Darren McCarty after being grogged out to defend himself during the first situation. McCarty was a pretty good player but all told obviously were nothing compared to the ice dancing-dynamo Claude Lemieux. While some people cant seem to avoid hating pests on other teams, while defending their own, i just really enjoy seeing players of all shapes and status do nasty things to get the opposition off their skates. Edit: It should be said though that Lemieux hit on if it was Draper might not fit that bill, but at the same time things happens in the game of hockey so we cant go hold grudges on players forever. I might not enjoy the very view of Claude Giroux when he plays for the opposition, but i have no problem with him in other situations.

flyin_finn 07-07-2013 04:19 AM

Gordie Howe. 52-year old guy scoring 46 points during NHL season is just amazing.

Morbid thread title, btw ;)

Darth Yoda 07-07-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_finn (Post 68877863)
Morbid thread title, btw ;)

Mhm. I'm sure i'd really enjoy the number one pick in 2070 but i probably will be boarded by then so there ya go.

Boxscore 07-07-2013 09:33 AM

Orr. I was alive but too young to "see" him.

The Rocket.
Doug Harvey.
Jacques Plante.
Howie Morenz.
Bobby Hull.
Gordie Howe.
Ted Lindsay.
Red Kelly.
Jean Beliveau.
Eddie Shore.
King Clancy.
Cyclone Taylor.
Terry Sawchuk.
Gump Worsley.
Tim Horton.
Stan Mikita.

struckbyaparkedcar 07-07-2013 10:21 AM

This begins and ends with Langway for me. Guess I'm a youngin.

Killion 07-07-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 68877521)
Charlie Gardiner is a tragic but great story.

Thats for sure. Lost his father to WW1, while one of his 2 older brothers who had also enlisted came back damaged. At 12, Charlie has to leave school & go to work, hardware store. Over 7 seasons in the NHL with Chicago, wins 2 Vezinas, 3 - 1st and 1 - 2nd All Star Team selections, Stanley Cup, Captain of the team. Dies at just 29 of a brain hemorrhage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Yoda (Post 68877791)
Claude Lemieux...

He was reviled, hated by many, but me? I liked Claude Lemieux. One of the all time greatest agitators who was also a terrific hockey player. Its sad that you guys across the pond werent able to access the NHL on a regular basis, as youd have also missed out on the many wonderful exploits of everyone from North American born players to your own homegrowns like Salming & Tikkanen.

tony d 07-07-2013 01:46 PM

Gordie Howe and Terry Sawchuk.

Bure All Day 07-07-2013 04:04 PM

Bure is my number 1, saw him a bit with the Rangers but by that time, he was but a mere shadow of his former self.

Wish I could've enjoyed the 90's era more, growing up I loved Foppa and Kariya, and of course Naslund.

Born in '93 so missed out on most of the 90's

nWo 07-07-2013 05:51 PM

Bobby Orr

tombombadil 07-07-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajicz (Post 68877725)
Not a player, but the 80's Oilers is a team that I would've really wanted to see live...

Seen a lot of footage from back then of course, but it's just not the same.

I was a kid, then, well aware of hockey, got to see them play live once, too.

They were superheroes to us, supervillains to some, being from Vancouver.

I had a hard time differentiating their trumpeted acheivements and skill from the Star Wars gang.

Gretz was definitely the dumb hick, idiot savante jedi Luke Skywalker, pre-destined to be great, playing under his father's watchful eye. Blonde, young, sorta dopey and effeminate, and magical.

Messier was Han Solo - a badass rogue, a little mean, second in command, a lot of people liked him more. If anyone was gonna nail a broad out of this group, it was him.

Chewbacca - well, that's Semenko for sure,

Grant Fuhr was Lando Calrissian... I mean, color aside, we all know Lando did a ton of coke, rails between Colt 45's...

Kurri was probably Princess Leia. His level head and all around, quiet game really held the gents together.

Tik was any one of the weird space creatures that spoke gibberish and always did something crazy right when the intensity was at its peak.

Can't think of anyone for Coffey.... he might be the Millennium Falcon when at warp speed. Some serious letdowns getting them off the ground/own zone, too.

Hope this helps!:)

tombombadil 07-07-2013 06:43 PM

He was reviled, hated by many, but me? I liked Claude Lemieux. One of the all time greatest agitators who was also a terrific hockey player. Its sad that you guys across the pond werent able to access the NHL on a regular basis, as youd have also missed out on the many wonderful exploits of everyone from North American born players to your own homegrowns like Salming & Tikkanen.[/QUOTE]

Claude as a player? Great to have. Him and Ulf would be the two 'agitators' I would pay the most to have.

This is a little funny, but my last memory of Claude is on Pros vs Joes when he highsticked a Joe in the face, when he could just have easily stick or bodychecked him. Worse, he went back to the Pros bragging about it. THAT is low-character in its most naked light... you can't take the dirt out of a guy like that! Like boxing Lennox Lewis, and he punches you in the nuts, then talks big about it.

Killion 07-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombombadil (Post 68904797)
Hope this helps!:)

... yep, sure does, reminds me Ive gotta get some rolling papers. Thanks tom. :)

NH57 07-07-2013 06:48 PM

All of the Habs legends from the 1920s all the way up to the 80s and early 90s, including Howie Morenz, Toe Blake, Aurele Joliat, Joe Malone, Maurice Richard, Henri Richard, Jean Beliveau, Bernie Geoffrion, Doug Harvey, Butch Bouchard, Larry Robinson, Guy Lafleur, Georges Vezina, Ken Dryden, Jacques Plante, Bert Olmstead, Dickie Moore, Yvan Cournoyer, etc...

Never saw any of them play but I still like them.

And then some of the greats from other teams: Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Sittler, Messier, Coffey, McDonald, McInnis, etc...

WarriorOfGandhi 07-07-2013 06:50 PM

I would have loved to see Cyclone Taylor score his backward-skating goal

tombombadil 07-07-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 68905091)
... yep, sure does, reminds me Ive gotta get some rolling papers. Thanks tom. :)

No prob, i owe you a few laughs.
Believe it or not, I'm all-natural crazy.... just my homebrew... but I was like this before that, too.

I forgot to add that everyone thought Sather was a genius, but he keeps trying to make great things happen nowadays by reliving the past, dusting off old names and such.... now sorta looked at as an idiot..... George Lucas.

gifted88 07-07-2013 07:49 PM

I could list a lot of Habs but #1 on my list is Beliveau

Actp 07-07-2013 07:58 PM

Bobby Orr (I only have memory of his last few games in Chicago)

Rocket Richard

Just about every superstar of the original six era.

Syl Apps Sr.and many others.

Redwingsfan84 07-07-2013 08:25 PM

was just about to post about Apps.

would have liked to seen the shore and Bailey incident and the first "all-star" game that resulted in trying to get monetary funds for his family.

Also the Babe Pratt gambling incident would have been interesting to be around.

And of course, Gordie, Alex D and the Habs/isle/Oilers dynasties are something I wish I could have witnessed.

Ogie Goldthorpe 07-07-2013 08:30 PM

Ted Lindsay. I like pretty much everything I've heard about him on or off the ice.

Darth Yoda 07-08-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombombadil (Post 68904959)
Claude as a player? Great to have. Him and Ulf would be the two 'agitators' I would pay the most to have.

This is a little funny, but my last memory of Claude is on Pros vs Joes when he highsticked a Joe in the face, when he could just have easily stick or bodychecked him. Worse, he went back to the Pros bragging about it. THAT is low-character in its most naked light... you can't take the dirt out of a guy like that! Like boxing Lennox Lewis, and he punches you in the nuts, then talks big about it.

I have not seen that unfortunately, he gets really pumped up when playing hockey obviously. Anyway i have seen him on Battle of the Blades and for anyone that might not seen the episode where he and Shae-Lynn Bourne did ice dance to his own recorded version of that classic song "Halelujah", or how it's spelled, it is a great thing to see. The thing with him obviously is that he is a great guy off the ice, not on it obviously(When not doing ice dancing).

But yeah, Bobby Orr.