HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Edmonton - Philadelphia (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1465203)

oilersfan87 07-08-2013 01:13 PM

Edmonton - Philadelphia

:flyers
Smid
Paajarvi

:edmonton
Coburn
Couturier

Breakdown:
Smid > Coburn
Couturier > Paajarvi

Right now Smid is the best player in the deal although Couturier could end up being the best player in the deal. Most people don't realize that Paajarvi played almost as good as Couturier last season.

Edmonton does this in order to get a young, much needed third line center with size, while slightly downgrading their defense.

Philadelphia does this because they have four quality centers (Giroux, Lecavalier, Schenn, and Couturier) and can afford to trade one. With Paajarvi they add a future 2nd line winger or elite third line winger and upgrade their defense next season.

YoungGuns 07-08-2013 01:14 PM

they wont do that

Vikke 07-08-2013 01:15 PM

No way.
Signed, every Flyers fan.

19NYSports91 07-08-2013 01:15 PM

terrible for the flyers

RJ8812 07-08-2013 01:16 PM

no thanks

we won't be trading Couturier unless if for a bonafied #1 defenseman

Petro Points 07-08-2013 01:19 PM

Yikes..
I dont think MacT does this either.. Losing Smid will create a huge hole .. The guy is our clear #1 dman.

Maybe this is why the talks between the 2 clubs stalled.

NitHeel 07-08-2013 01:23 PM

Schenn's going to play wing, we don't need to get rid of a center. Not interested.

kudymen 07-08-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan87 (Post 68932011)
Breakdown:
Smid > Coburn
Couturier > Paajarvi

:eek:

Sasso09 07-08-2013 01:27 PM

In what world is Smid better than Coburn?

phlocky 07-08-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Smid
Paajarvi

Coburn
Couturier

Breakdown:
Smid > Coburn
Couturier > Paajarvi

Right now Smid is the best player in the deal although Couturier could end up being the best player in the deal. Most people don't realize that Paajarvi played almost as good as Couturier last season.

Edmonton does this in order to get a young, much needed third line center with size, while slightly downgrading their defense.

Philadelphia does this because they have four quality centers (Giroux, Lecavalier, Schenn, and Couturier) and can afford to trade one. With Paajarvi they add a future 2nd line winger or elite third line winger and upgrade their defense next season.

It might be close but personally I'd take Coburn over Smid. I'll admit that I don't know Smid as well as I do Coburn but having watched Coburn in person he does a lot more away from the puck (and hence the camera) very well that you typically don't get to see on camera. I'm not saying that Smid doesn't but I KNOW Coburn does and he's very good defensively. I really like MSP but certainly not at the expense of Coots. Even if you view Smid as better than Coburn the difference IMO isn't the difference between Coots and MSP.

It's not as terrible as some may think (it's probably pretty close in value actually) but I just think that you won't find one single Flyers fan who would make that trade. Coburn may be a one dimensional dman but TBH he actually IS our best dman in our own zone.

Tripod 07-08-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Smid
Paajarvi

Coburn
Couturier

Breakdown:
Smid > Coburn
Couturier > Paajarvi

We all see the flaw here...Coburn is actually > Smid. And even if we said they were equal, Couturier has much higher upside and plays a more important position than MPS. And FWIW, I like MPS. Oilers should be keeping him and see if he can contribute on the 2nd line.

And as others have said, Schenn will probably be going to the wing this year. Couts only gets traded for a young offensive d-man who has #1-2 potential.

seanerixon 07-08-2013 01:33 PM

I don't even like Coburn, but think Coby is better than Smid. Smid may play a better sound game defensively, but Coby brings a two-way game that Smid cannot.

SchennSational1022* 07-08-2013 01:37 PM

Smid is better than Coburn? News to me..

BrindamoursNose 07-08-2013 01:38 PM

Awful

Petes2424 07-08-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasso09 (Post 68932723)
In what world is Smid better than Coburn?

It would be interesting to see what the managers in the league actually think about this. Smid has been playing pretty successfully against other teams top players while Coburn struggled doing the same thing this past season.

For anyone to sit here and laugh that it would be Coburn by a mile, clearly hasnt watched much of Smid. From a hockey standpoint, I say it's Smid. From a hype standpoint, it's Coburn. So if that's the way you judge players, all to you and your assessment.

BrindamoursNose 07-08-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petes2424 (Post 68933489)
It would be interesting to see what the managers in the league actually think about this. Smid has been playing pretty successfully against other teams top players while Coburn struggled doing the same thing this past season. .

He had a bad year. I don't think there's any player Flyers fans are more wrong about trading than Coburn because of having one bad year.

Petes2424 07-08-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 68933633)
He had a bad year. I don't think there's any player Flyers fans are more wrong about trading than Coburn because of having one bad year.

You have to ask yourself why he had that bad year???

I contend and I think I have justification to do so, he struggled because he was facing the other teams top players for the first time in his career. His turnovers went way up and his taking penalties in his own zone went way up. Those are the things that happen when you're over matched as a player.

Smid on the other hand just continued to to well in similar situations.

thadd 07-08-2013 01:49 PM

Edmonton says no:

Smid is better than Coburn and we's signed to a sweet contract for 4 seasons.

Philly says no: Coburn is better than Smid and Couturier is worth a superstar because he's big and has a really complete game.

I say no thanks.

Chet Donnelly 07-08-2013 01:50 PM

Flyers say no quite easily.

NitHeel 07-08-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petes2424 (Post 68933815)

I contend and I think I have justification to do so, he struggled because he was facing the other teams top players for the first time in his career. His turnovers went way up and his taking penalties in his own zone went way up. Those are the things that happen when you're over matched as a player.

That's just not true. He was put into a larger offensive role, one he's just not suited for - that's the reason. Let him be the fast skating, defensive minded guy he is and I expect him to be fine.

Vikke 07-08-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Coburn was doing just fine versus top opponents in 11/12. He had a bad, short season, I'm pretty confident that he'll rebound just fine.
I'm not saying he's better, nor worse for that matter, than Smid, though, since I rarely watch the Oilers.

JackStraw 07-08-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

As others have already pointed out, he struggled because he was asked to play a more puck-mover type role in the absence of Carle and Pronger, and he's just not good at it. On the other hand, the Flyers have been using him as a shutdown guy against other team's top players for years. Unless you don't think guys like Ovechkin and Malkin are "top players".

phlocky 07-08-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

I've explained it numerous times and really don't feel like doing so again. I don't have to ask myself why, I KNOW why (Holmgren must have failed history in school because he's doomed to repeat it)!!!!

As to the bolded part, please refrain from speaking of things that you obviously know nothing about. Since his arrival to the Flyers there was only 1 season where Coburn did NOT face the other teams top line (that what the one full season that Pronger played with us).

phlocky 07-08-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 68933873)
Edmonton says no:

Smid is better than Coburn and we's signed to a sweet contract for 4 seasons.

Philly says no: Coburn is better than Smid and Couturier is worth a superstar because he's big and has a really complete game.

I say no thanks.

You're funny thadd. I think it's a telling tale that posters who are fans of neither team are saying that Philly is getting bent over here but go ahead and act like Philly fans are blind homers, truth is that most everyone who is NOT an Oilers fans agrees with us.

thadd 07-08-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke (Post 68934073)
Coburn was doing just fine versus top opponents in 11/12. He had a bad, short season, I'm pretty confident that he'll rebound just fine.
I'm not saying he's better, nor worse for that matter, than Smid, though, since I rarely watch the Oilers.

Smid seemed really raw and injury prone when he first came into the NHL, but as he become more and more of a physical player and shot blocking machine all of the injuries seemed to go away.

He isn't one of the hardest hitters in the league, but he's a really tough guy to play against. He'd be a #2 d-man on a lot of teams in the NHL.

If Edmonton didn't have Smid they would have easily been last place over the past two seasons.