HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part V (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1465385)

TheJuxtaposer 07-08-2013 05:03 PM

2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part V

Previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1461703

WTFetus 07-08-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 68943949)
They certainly do, but not nearly to the extent Thornton fans do. Thornton is my second favorite player on this team, but I had a hard time reading through this thread...

It's not that bad if you remember that Maf is exaggerating everything to spite the Marleau homers. ;)

TheJuxtaposer 07-08-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 68944025)
It's not that bad if you remember that Maf is exaggerating everything to spite the Marleau homers. ;)

I know, but it feeds the serious guys. :laugh:

murdock1116 07-08-2013 05:08 PM

I find it funny that for some reason Marleau and Thornton supporters have to see them as enemies. Maybe its cause they were drafted in the same year 1/2 or because Marleau fans are upset about the captaincy thing or iono.

Meanwhile they are probably the godfathers of each others kids and having BBQs at each others houses this very moment.

Hatrick Marleau 07-08-2013 05:10 PM

I'd do Pavs for Marchand

hockeyball 07-08-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 68943773)
Sorry, I was up watching American Ninja Warrior re-runs into the wee hours. :laugh: I'll stick around now.

Well, at least that's a good excuse.

Seriously though, people get so crazy the instant you speculate, especially about a fan favorite player. I love Joe Thornton, he is a great guy and the greatest player to ever play for our team, but my sentimentality for him has nothing to do with what is best for the team. I'm not suggesting we buy him out or dump him or something. I was suggesting, given a particular set of circumstances (if it comes down to JT or Pavs basically) we trade Thornton for a fairly significant return and start setting this team up for the next decade.

By the responses you would think I suggested someone knife him and leave him in a gutter somewhere. I have a Thornton jersey ffs, I love the guy. (It's a replica though... my Marleau jersey is authentic :P)

TheJuxtaposer 07-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murdock1116 (Post 68944217)
I find it funny that for some reason Marleau and Thornton supporters have to see them as enemies. Maybe its cause they were drafted in the same year 1/2 or because Marleau fans are upset about the captaincy thing or iono.

Meanwhile they are probably the godfathers of each others kids and having BBQs at each others houses this very moment.

I think it's funny too. Those two are easily my favorite Sharks, I hate seeing their respective fans continually scratching each other's eyes out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 68944329)
I'd do Pavs for Marchand

Noooooooo. Not only because I hate Marchand with every fiber of my being, but also simply because he's nowhere near the quality of player Pavelski is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 68944365)

Seriously though, people get so crazy the instant you speculate, especially about a fan favorite player. I love Joe Thornton, he is a great guy and the greatest player to ever play for our team, but my sentimentality for him has nothing to do with what is best for the team. I'm not suggesting we buy him out or dump him or something. I was suggesting, given a particular set of circumstances (if it comes down to JT or Pavs basically) we trade Thornton for a fairly significant return and start setting this team up for the next decade.

By the responses you would think I suggested someone knife him and leave him in a gutter somewhere. I have a Thornton jersey ffs, I love the guy. (It's a replica though... my Marleau jersey is authentic :P)

Seriously. I agree with you 100%. I love Joe, he'll be a HOFer in a Sharks jersey, and I want nothing more than to see him raise the Cup as a Shark (and pass it to Marleau, of course ;)), but barring that if we had to choose between him and Pavelski in the years to come, it's an easy choice. Pavelski is so underrated by Sharks fans sometimes because he isn't an overly creative offensive player like Thornton or Couture and because he doesn't have the elite physical tools like Marleau. But he's the smartest of the lot, and that means something.

Fistfullofbeer 07-08-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

I'd do Pavs for Marchand

I wouldn't. I am one of the ones who is more open about moving Pavs for a quality top-6 winger.

But I wouldn't move him for Marchand. Marchand is a good player but he is a tad over-rated because he is a pest. Pavs is a much better overall player.

do0glas 07-08-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

i wont argue specifically for one or another.

best case scenario to me would be that the cap goes up quite a bit next year, we resign pavs to his raise 5.5-5.75 x 5. and thornton/marleau to 5-6 mill x 3 or 4 years.

we would then be closer to bostons cap hierachy which is enviable given the guys on the team.

only ? is boyle for me. but with thornton/marleau/couture/pavs/burns in the top six with quite a bit of cap space maybe we could make a splash in FA, or maybe we get a much better offer for thornton because of age/cap hit...i dunno.

TheJuxtaposer 07-08-2013 05:21 PM

Honestly, I think we're gonna have to let Boyle go. The lowest Marleau and Thornton get is $5M, and I bet it's closer to $6M. Just look at the contracts Elias and Alfredsson got, and they're both much older than JT/PM.

Hatrick Marleau 07-08-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

I think JT will play at a higher level than Pavs for at least 5 more years. Jumbo's game isn't speed based, it is based on his playmaking ability which isn't likely to vastly decline. If we could only keep Pavs or JT I would trade Pavs.

hohosaregood 07-08-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 68944819)
Honestly, I think we're gonna have to let Boyle go. The lowest Marleau and Thornton get is $5M, and I bet it's closer to $6M. Just look at the contracts Elias and Alfredsson got, and they're both much older than JT/PM.

In regards to the cap hits, if Marleau, Thornton, and Pavelski gets $6 mil which is totally reasonable considering every other contract signed recently. It would even out to what it is right now. Asides from them, if Boyle takes a paycut into the $5mil range, and the only ones who may be due for a raise would be Demers, Wingels, Sheppard, and Stalock--that's not for certain though and this is without including any cap increase-- you could maybe fit everybody we have right now into the current cap hit.

Nighthock 07-08-2013 06:06 PM

Did Stalock sign a 2-way deal?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/171

So does that mean there's a possibility DW signs someone else to backup Niemi?

KirbyDots 07-08-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthock (Post 68947013)
Did Stalock sign a 2-way deal?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/171

So does that mean there's a possibility DW signs someone else to backup Niemi?

Not likely, he's said that Stalock and Sateri would duel it out in camp for the back up spot.

hockeyball 07-08-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirbyDots (Post 68947135)
Not likely, he's said that Stalock and Sateri would duel it out in camp for the back up spot.

For all we know Grosenick could get it hehe

do0glas 07-08-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 68947309)
For all we know Grosenick could get it hehe

oh god, way too many stalock fanatics here to accept that :laugh:

OrrNumber4 07-08-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirbyDots (Post 68947135)

While he has had injury problems, I think that in a vacuum, Stalock has done enough to merit a look as an NHL backup. Sateri may come in and surprise, but he also hasn't earned an NHL slot.

So if Sateri comes in and outplays Stalock, the Sharks should trade Stalock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 68944563)
Seriously. I agree with you 100%. I love Joe, he'll be a HOFer in a Sharks jersey, and I want nothing more than to see him raise the Cup as a Shark (and pass it to Marleau, of course ;)), but barring that if we had to choose between him and Pavelski in the years to come, it's an easy choice. Pavelski is so underrated by Sharks fans sometimes because he isn't an overly creative offensive player like Thornton or Couture and because he doesn't have the elite physical tools like Marleau. But he's the smartest of the lot, and that means something.

Wouldn't you say that Thornton is the smartest of the lot? He easily has the most hockey sense.

It is just that, Pavelski isn't 22. He's 29. He's a very good player in the prime, but given his size and history, I don't think he has more than 6-7 years of hockey in him. Thornton would appear to be leaving his prime, but I could easily see him having 5 more years of relevance.

Of course, this is just in regards to Thornton vs. Pavelski. In reality, you try to keep them both.

Mattb124 07-08-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 (Post 68947589)
While he has had injury problems, I think that in a vacuum, Stalock has done enough to merit a look as an NHL backup.

Other than being stepped on, has Stalock had a history of injuries?

FeedingFrenzy 07-08-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohosaregood (Post 68945415)
In regards to the cap hits, if Marleau, Thornton, and Pavelski gets $6 mil which is totally reasonable considering every other contract signed recently. It would even out to what it is right now. Asides from them, if Boyle takes a paycut into the $5mil range, and the only ones who may be due for a raise would be Demers, Wingels, Sheppard, and Stalock--that's not for certain though and this is without including any cap increase-- you could maybe fit everybody we have right now into the current cap hit.

Agree with your thinking.

I'd like to see JT & Patty offered 5yr/28.75mil deals 5.75AAV..Front load the first 2 years. 7-7-4.91-4.91-4.91

I think Pavs comes in under 6mil per. 4yr/22.4mil

Boyle I hope takes a paycut and stays 2 more years. 2yr/8mil NMC.

Audio Outlaw 07-08-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

I'd do Pavs for Marchand

Straight up.

glasgow26 07-08-2013 07:27 PM

I'd probably trade Pavelski for Marchand. He'd be the perfect LW for Thornton and Burns. I doubt Boston would do it though. They're loaded with two-way centers and Pavelski is a year away from FA.

StalockSuperfan 07-08-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattb124 (Post 68948007)
Other than being stepped on, has Stalock had a history of injuries?

Don't think so. Hardly an injury riddled player.

hockfan1991 07-08-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy (Post 68948391)
Agree with your thinking.

I'd like to see JT & Patty offered 5yr/28.75mil deals 5.75AAV..Front load the first 2 years. 7-7-4.91-4.91-4.91

I think Pavs comes in under 6mil per. 4yr/22.4mil

Boyle I hope takes a paycut and stays 2 more years. 2yr/8mil NMC.

Marleau and thirnton are not getting 5 year deals. That a good thing. If like to get pavs locked up at 5 years. Your cap hit for pavs is close. And I agree with you on Boyle. With couture pavs raises he is the one who will need to take the heaviest paycut. 4mil for 2 years sounds about right.

OrrNumber4 07-08-2013 07:53 PM

An incentive for DW to give Marleau and Thornton long-term deals would be to avoid the 35+ penalty later on. Unless this penalty has changed...

Mafoofoo 07-08-2013 08:01 PM

The only reason it's mandatory to tear down the lesser top 6 players (Marleau, Couture, Pavs) is because it's pretty ridiculous and unreasonable to consider them equals to Thornton who at this point is a walking legend and will go down as the greatest living being to wear teal in San Jose. It'd be like saying we should trade Crosby because one day Bennett might be good.