HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Oilers defense for 2013/14 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1465893)

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 12:01 PM

Oilers defense for 2013/14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 (Post 68976839)
Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 3m Klefbom really stands out in this group. Had extended sequence in d zone protecting puck against heavy pressure without breaking a sweat.

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 3m That's all she wrote. Team White 5 Team Blue 4, with White captain Ewanyk's pretty goal the decider.

I think he will make the team. People are over rating Belov, there is a reason he is 26 and never played in the NHL.

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
N Schultz-Klefbom
Larsen/belov

Paralyzer008 07-09-2013 12:04 PM

"He's at a different level. He has more experience. He has good perspective for a young player." - MacTavish on Klefbom

IMO, I still think if Edmonton is smart, we don't see Klefbom unless injuries occur

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 (Post 68977461)
"He's at a different level. He has more experience. He has good perspective for a young player." - MacTavish on Klefbom

IMO, I still think if Edmonton is smart, we don't see Klefbom unless injuries occur

So how do you take that quote, and then say he shouldn't be in the NHL????

McBooya42 07-09-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 68977289)
I think he will make the team. People are over rating Belov, there is a reason he is 26 and never played in the NHL.

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
N Schultz-Klefbom
Larsen/belov

:facepalm: Yep, it's called playing at home in the KHL (and by all accounts being one of the best D in that league last season) before finally deciding that he wants to play in the NHL instead.

What an uninformed comment this is...:laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...193311931.html

Quote:

Last week the Edmonton Oilers agreed to terms with Anton Belov, a 26-year-old Russian defenseman who spent the last five seasons with Avangard Omsk in the KHL.

Belov is the CSKA Youth Academy alumnus, who has become arguably the best defenseman in the KHL. Having achieved everything he could in the KHL, according to Belov himself, he decided it was time for the NHL.

It was about a year and a half ago that Belov realized he was ready for the NHL, the player told R-Sport.

“A lot of factors influenced that decision. First of all, it is a dream. The rest are just secondary reasons. Last year I stayed with Avangard, and I don’t regret it… I gained a lot of experience. And I realize that if it’s time to go to the NHL, then the time is now or never.”





Start watching at 2:50 here...


McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booya42 (Post 68977597)
:facepalm: Yep, it's called playing at home in the KHL (and by all accounts being one of the best D in that league last season) before finally deciding that he wants to play in the NHL instead.

What an uninformed comment this is...:laugh:

So why wasn't he over playing in the NHL when he was 22?

I am not saying Belov sucks, or won't make the team, I am just saying people penciling him into the line up is very premature. The KHL is a differnt league, bigger ice ect. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in the KHL after a breif try out.

OneMoreAstronaut 07-09-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 (Post 68977461)
"He's at a different level. He has more experience. He has good perspective for a young player." - MacTavish on Klefbom

IMO, I still think if Edmonton is smart, we don't see Klefbom unless injuries occur

I don't see the correlation between the quote and what you said, but with the depth that MacT seems to be gathering, for once it looks like it'll actually be possible.

JoeCool16 07-09-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 68977289)
I think he will make the team. People are over rating Belov, there is a reason he is 26 and never played in the NHL.

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
N Schultz-Klefbom
Larsen/belov

Not unheard of. Alexei Emelin is becoming a key part of the Montreal defense and he didn't come over until he was 25.

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCool16 (Post 68978219)
Not unheard of. Alexei Emelin is becoming a key part of the Montreal defense and he didn't come over until he was 25.

Oh for sure, NOT saying it can't happen. I think people are overrating the odds it will happen though.

I think Belov at very least will have some serious growing pains if hey stays all year. I would hardly pencil him in as a given on every night.

AlowlyMcOilersfan 07-09-2013 12:35 PM

Want to pair Ference and Belov together just for the dirty hits.

The Nuge 07-09-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan (Post 68978889)
Want to pair Ference and Belov together just for the dirty hits.

I thought I was the only one thinking of this. If Belov comes as advertised, that pairing would be a nightmare for other teams

oilersrule14 07-09-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 68977289)
I think he will make the team. People are over rating Belov, there is a reason he is 26 and never played in the NHL.

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
N Schultz-Klefbom
Larsen/belov

I don't know how much people are overrating Belov as opposed to just going by MacT's comments that he expects Belov to make the team. And with Larsen, Potter, and apparently they still want to add one more...it sounds like Klefbom will have a lot of competition. Even if he plays well, he might just lose out because he's the youngest.

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersrule14 (Post 68979901)
I don't know how much people are overrating Belov as opposed to just going by MacT's comments that he expects Belov to make the team. And with Larsen, Potter, and apparently they still want to add one more...it sounds like Klefbom will have a lot of competition. Even if he plays well, he might just lose out because he's the youngest.

possible, but I think if we add one more it also implies there is a good chance we also ship N Schultz out. So it doesn't change much. I would expect Mac T to say he thinks Belov will make the team. I mean why else do you sign a 26 year old. things change though, I don't think it is any guarantee and if Klefbom continues to impress, they will make room for him on the team.

we will see come training camp any way.

Petro Points 07-09-2013 01:03 PM

I think MacT has both Belov and Klefbom projected ahead of Nick Schultz. There hsnt been a single comment from him in regards to Nick Schultz. I am guessing he will be dealt especially if MacT adds another depth Dman..

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Klefbom-Belov
Potter/depth Dman

Larsen waived to OKC

s7ark 07-09-2013 01:12 PM

Moved this into its own thread so as to not derail the development camp thread.

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 68980593)
Moved this into it's own thread so as to not derail the development camp thread.

good idea

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 68980223)
I think MacT has both Belov and Klefbom projected ahead of Nick Schultz. There hsnt been a single comment from him in regards to Nick Schultz. I am guessing he will be dealt especially if MacT adds another depth Dman..

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Klefbom-Belov
Potter/depth Dman

Larsen waived to OKC

I am not really a fan of N schultz, but I think Mac T will want him on the bottom paring with a young guy. question, is that Klefbom, Marincin, Larsen or Belov.

mcjukon 07-09-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 (Post 68977461)
IMO, I still think if Edmonton is smart, we don't see Klefbom unless injuries occur

Purely based on the amount of people competing for spots, he will likely play in the AHL until an injury. Better to play in the AHL than sit in the pressbox.

AlowlyMcOilersfan 07-09-2013 01:20 PM

I think the only thing we are missing is a legit number one.

Gord 07-09-2013 01:27 PM

I just hope Petry get's over the hump in his development.
He really needs to have a breakout year where he plays well on a consistent basis. especially if he is supposed to be in the top pairing.

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukon (Post 68980879)
Purely based on the amount of people competing for spots, he will likely play in the AHL until an injury. Better to play in the AHL than sit in the pressbox.

I agree he should not sit in the press box, I also think there is a 50/50 spot he will look like a top 4 d man in camp, and end up playing in the NHL with top 4 minutes right away.

I do agree though, better playing 25 mins a night in the AHL than sitting in the press box.

MisterD 07-09-2013 01:38 PM

I'd like to see N. Schultz & Hemsky packaged up for a big bodied winger, and sign Tom Gilbert as a puck moving guy for us.

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Ference
Gilbert - Belov
Potter

I'd much rather leave Klefbom in the AHL and give him an opportunity to develop. If it becomes obvious after a month or two that he belongs in the NHL, you make room for him.

B A T M A N* 07-09-2013 01:39 PM

I wish Klef didn't get injured last year. He might've been even better now...

Gord 07-09-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle (Post 68981803)
I'd like to see N. Schultz & Hemsky packaged up for a big bodied winger, and sign Tom Gilbert as a puck moving guy for us.

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Ference
Gilbert - Belov
Potter

I'd much rather leave Klefbom in the AHL and give him an opportunity to develop. If it becomes obvious after a month or two that he belongs in the NHL, you make room for him.

any defense lineup where I still see Potter makes me sad.

McOkMcgoMcoil 07-09-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B A T M A N (Post 68981859)
I wish Klef didn't get injured last year. He might've been even better now...

You know after how good Hall was this year, I wonder if missing some time for a young player might actually be a good thing. You spend so much time just playing hockey, you never get time off to just work on balance and things like that.

Any way, As long as you are motivated and work on other things in your off time it might actually be a help. looks like Klefbom did just that.

BoldMcNewLettuce 07-09-2013 01:48 PM

what about klefbom-j.schultz playing in the ahl for a good stint?

Smid-Petry
Ference-N.Schultz
Belov-Larsen
Potter

"terribad for ekblad"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.