HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Prospect Info: The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1466065)

Soli 07-09-2013 05:12 PM

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

http://i.imgur.com/VOGW7cR.png

2013-2014 LEAGUE STANDINGS

Sometimes, life forces you to cross the line.
You're going about your normal everyday routine,
when suddenly something truly awful happens...
You've turned on an Oiler game.
and all that pent-up rage you feel,
aboot the management,
aboot the coaching,
aboot the toe drags,
is released with unstoppable fury.
Some call it "reaching the breaking point"
others call it "breaking bad"
for Oilers fans, it's called "Breaking Blad".

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0819...lad_d1_576.jpg

Soli 07-09-2013 05:12 PM

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

Never too early to talk draft, right?

This isn't a thread to talk about the Oilers position in the final standings. Just want to discuss prospects in the 2014 Draft with an Oilers-centric view. Don't know too much about the draft right now, so would love to hear more.

Right now I think three prospects have separated themselves into the top tier:

Aaron Ekblad - Next big thing on the blueline
Sam Reinhart - Looking like the most talented of his brothers. Skilled center.
William Nylander - highly offensively talented Swedish center.

And then there'll be some prospects I'll be tracking for the Oilers 1st rounder with a bias towards centers/physical wingers:

Leon Draisatl - Looked real good in the WJC. Think he may rise to Top-5. LW/C
Michael Dal Colle - PWF that played LW on a team deep down the middle (Jenner, Laughton). Think he'll be returning to center next season.
Nick Ritchie - Sounds like an aggressive physical RW with goal scoring touch. Shoots left (love it). Rising.
Jared McCann - Strong two-way center, good skater. Concussion knocked him out of OHL Playoffs.
Jake Virtanen - Aggressive LW that brings the puck to the net.
Blake Clarke - Best of the American crop. PWF LW. Bobby Ryan like?
Conner Bleackley - Red Deer Rebels center looking to break out.
Sam Bennett - high energy center with offensive pop.

okgooil 07-09-2013 05:14 PM

So am I the only one who thinks a thread like this just makes us look bad. Don't get me wrong, some great players and lots of reason to discuss them. However, what says loser more than a team that starts a draft thread for next year right after the draft. Can we at least just pretend for a bit that we won't have a good pick next year?

Soli 07-09-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 68992875)
So am I the only one who thinks a thread like this just makes us look bad. Don't get me wrong, some great players and lots of reason to discuss them. However, what says loser more than a team that starts a draft thread for next year right after the draft. Can we at least just pretend for a bit that we won't have a good pick next year?

Almost every team has a 1st rounder.

Also...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soli
This isn't a thread to talk about the Oilers position in the final standings.

So... get out. ;)

Paralyzer008 07-09-2013 05:18 PM

The irony if we drafted William Nylander after what Michael did to Kevin Lowe.

Senor Catface 07-09-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 (Post 68993009)
The irony if we drafted William Nylander after what Michael did to Kevin Lowe.

No worse than what Kevin Lowe did to Kevin Lowe.

cbear42 07-09-2013 06:38 PM

OMG, talking about future prospects on HF boards! What has this world come to?!?

AlowlyOilersfan 07-09-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbear42 (Post 68995851)
OMG, talking about future prospects on HF boards! What has this world come to?!?

The beginning of the end is the beginning.

Joey Moss 07-09-2013 06:46 PM

Drafting a center is an absolute must IMO. Unless someone obvious is on the board, but we really need a center. Right now I've got my eyes on Leon Draisatl. Really impressed me at this past World Juniors. Tyson Baillie is another one who caught my eye during the WHL playoffs. Plays a lot like Ryan Callahan.

AlowlyOilersfan 07-09-2013 07:00 PM

I think this conversation is a little too premature.

Joey Moss 07-09-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan (Post 68996601)
I think this conversation is a little too premature.

What's wrong with getting to know some of the prospects we'll be talking about for the next year a little early? The 2013 draft is behind us.

Soundwave 07-09-2013 07:02 PM

I don't think we'll pick in the top 10 this year, but by the same token I don't see us making the playoffs unless Mac T makes some solid moves in the next 30 days or so.

AlowlyOilersfan 07-09-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 68996659)
What's wrong with getting to know some of the prospects we'll be talking about for the next year a little early? The 2013 draft is behind us.

forgot to :sarcasm:

There's nothing wrong with it.

Soli 07-09-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 68996099)
Drafting a center is an absolute must IMO. Unless someone obvious is on the board, but we really need a center. Right now I've got my eyes on Leon Draisatl. Really impressed me at this past World Juniors. Tyson Baillie is another one who caught my eye during the WHL playoffs. Plays a lot like Ryan Callahan.

I have a very myopic view of the draft. Definitely looking for a forward in the first round, emphasis on centers and physicality.

Dry Saddle I can see just shooting up the rankings. He's got the recipe laid out. Readily viewable in Prince Albert and he'll have a phenomenal WJC relative to his country(men).

OHL is supposed to have a really strong 1st rounder crop.

QMJHL, perhaps not so much. 6'2 center Alex Pepin leads the charge me thinks.

Toydarian 07-09-2013 07:25 PM

With the supposed ridiculous depth of the 2013 draft and all the attention Conner McDavid has been getting, the 2014 draft almost seems like an after thought. I haven't heard much outside of Reinhart and Ekblad.

Oilers4life1987 07-09-2013 07:43 PM

I think Virtanen is our answer for 2 LW. And if Dal Colle falls to the 2round grab him too:)

The Nuge 07-09-2013 07:56 PM

Arvin Atwal and Tyler Morrison are the two guys off the Giants to keep an eye on next year. We are kind of stacked for d prospects though, so I'm not sure how much we'll consider them

Oilers4life1987 07-09-2013 08:13 PM

I have a question for ppl that've seen Dal Colle this year. How does he compare to Monahan.

I am the Liquor 07-09-2013 08:14 PM

Reinhart or Draisaitl please.

I am the Liquor 07-09-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 (Post 68998173)
I think Virtanen is our answer for 2 LW. And if Dal Colle falls to the 2round grab him too:)

He hasnt shown enough skill to make me think he will be a top six player. Yet. He is an absolute bull on skates though. Very strong. Impossible to knock down/off the puck. I think he will be a very good third line player in the nhl.

Gone 07-09-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senor Catface (Post 68993893)
No worse than what Kevin Lowe did to Kevin Lowe.

Or what Kevin Lowe did to the Oilers.

Gone 07-09-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwave (Post 68996661)
I don't think we'll pick in the top 10 this year, but by the same token I don't see us making the playoffs unless Mac T makes some solid moves in the next 30 days or so.

Top 10 is only an injury away. Imagine Dubnyk, Hall or Smid going down for a fair part of the season. Every organization deals with injuries, while ours are magnified because of the lack of depth.

awesomo 07-09-2013 08:28 PM

meh not time to tank until connor mcdavid

Soli 07-09-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 (Post 68999369)
I have a question for ppl that've seen Dal Colle this year. How does he compare to Monahan.

Jared McCann sounds more like a Monahan type rather than Dal Colle.

Don't think either are as good as Monahan though. Damn Flames.

Paralyzer008 07-09-2013 08:42 PM

Keep Nick Ritchie in mind. 6 foot 2, 218 pound guy on a terrible Petes team who still scored 35 points in 41 games, including 18 goals. LW