HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Player Discussion: Mark Streit (Part 2) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1466077)

MiamiScreamingEagles 07-09-2013 05:47 PM

Mark Streit (Part 2)

Continued discussion about Mark Streit.

Part 1 (closed) -- http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1446101

July 9, 2013 -- press conference:

Quote:

Q. Mark… to come to Philadelphia… you helped the Islanders get to the playoffs last year. You built up to get to that point, what made you want to leave there to come here?

STREIT: Well, it was a pretty good season with the Islanders, but after the season was done I just had that feeling, it’s time to move on for me. And then I got traded to the Flyers. After the season, I was thinking about teams. I had a few teams on my mind. The Flyers were at the top of that list. I always loved playing here against them. I thought they had a great team. A great mix between young and older players, a lot of skill, a lot of grit. It was tough to play against those guys. It’s a great hockey town, great tradition. Soon as I got traded, I was really hoping to get something done here. I am so excited and thankful. They gave me the opportunity, and I’m really thrilled. I think this team has really big potential.

Q. Mark, a follow up to that, most players your age would have played double the number of years you’ve played. Do you feel you have an advantage in that you haven’t had to go through as much wear and tear physical game in this league?

STREIT: Absolutely, it took me a little longer to make it in the NHL, but the hockey over here is great and I really enjoy it. I think it’s a big difference when you’re 35 and you’ve played 15 years in the league or you’ve played 8. The wear and tear is big in hockey, in the NHL. I feel great, I’m healthy. I had one unfortunate season with the Islanders when I was hurt the whole year, but other than that I’ve played almost all the games every year, so I’m in good shape and I want to play for a long time and I really think I can help this team
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...ss-conference/

RespectTheCouts 07-09-2013 06:09 PM

First, sorry couldn't help myself

OriginJM 07-09-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor (Post 68994877)
First, sorry couldn't help myself

mods ban him

poneill27 07-09-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by respectthemajor (Post 68994877)
first, sorry couldn't help myself

lol!!!

Larry44 07-09-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 68994089)
Continued discussion about Mark Streit.

Part 1 (closed) -- http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1446101

July 9, 2013 -- press conference:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...ss-conference/

I like it that guys who've been around the league, played in the Olympics and captained their team to their first playoff appearance in years can't wait to join the Flyers. :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Streit play. I think he's going to be dynamite on the power play this year, and for three more after when Kimmo's gone. You can't teach veteran poise and skill.....

Beef Invictus 07-10-2013 01:34 AM

It's been a long time since I've given any real thought to this. Looking at everything Isles fans have said, as well as his stats...I'm becoming increasingly skeptical of this signing.

Whatever, I guess it's better to have 2 bad contracts instead of 3...1 if Mez goes. Progress!?

IslesRock4 07-10-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 69009981)
It's been a long time since I've given any real thought to this. Looking at everything Isles fans have said, as well as his stats...I'm becoming increasingly skeptical of this signing.

Whatever, I guess it's better to have 2 bad contracts instead of 3...1 if Mez goes. Progress!?

Don't be skeptical, Beef. He is not a very well rounded player, and you'll surely be yelling at him to shoot on the PP, but he will produce.

He played on a bum knee for this entire NHL season, an injury he picked up over in Switzerland during the lockout. I think that could easily factor into his suck level in his last year with the Islanders. He's right, it was simply time for both sides to move on. I think he'll come to Philadephia with a lot of confidence and can find his game from 2008-2009.

Beef Invictus 07-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 69010137)
Don't be skeptical, Beef. He is not a very well rounded player, and you'll surely be yelling at him to shoot on the PP, but he will produce.

He played on a bum knee for this entire NHL season, an injury he picked up over in Switzerland during the lockout. I think that could easily factor into his suck level in his last year with the Islanders. He's right, it was simply time for both sides to move on. I think he'll come to Philadephia with a lot of confidence and can find his game from 2008-2009.

Oh, I'm not worried about his offense. I'm worried about his defense. A lot of people assume he's going to be paired with Coburn, and I'm no longer close to convinced that Coburn can be the defensive heavy lifter on a pairing. I'm worried he might become our defense's version of Briere last year; his offensive production doesn't make up for defensive shortcomings.

And of course the length is disquieting; Yes, there is less wear at an NHL level, but the human body is still the human body. Maybe he won't break down physically, but he'll lose a step mentally instead.

Eh. I guess we'll see.

JDinkalage Morgoone 07-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 69023067)
Oh, I'm not worried about his offense. I'm worried about his defense. A lot of people assume he's going to be paired with Coburn, and I'm no longer close to convinced that Coburn can be the defensive heavy lifter on a pairing. I'm worried he might become our defense's version of Briere last year; his offensive production doesn't make up for defensive shortcomings.

And of course the length is disquieting; Yes, there is less wear at an NHL level, but the human body is still the human body. Maybe he won't break down physically, but he'll lose a step mentally instead.

Eh. I guess we'll see.

All we can do is hope at this point Mr. Beef. Let's hope for the best!

Curufinwe 07-10-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 69023067)
Oh, I'm not worried about his offense. I'm worried about his defense. A lot of people assume he's going to be paired with Coburn, and I'm no longer close to convinced that Coburn can be the defensive heavy lifter on a pairing.

I think Coburn and Streit makes more sense than Schenn and Streit.

Beef Invictus 07-10-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 69024361)
I think Coburn and Streit makes more sense than Schenn and Streit.

I'd like to keep Schenn with Timonen.

BackWithaVengeance 07-10-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 69009981)

It's alright, we need a goat.

Why not Streit? :)

Seriously, if next year Gustaffson surpasses him with his play and becomes a top-4 defender we may be in a tough spot again.

We'll find out.

Hiesenberg 07-10-2013 02:12 PM

Can we at least let Streit play 1 game in Orange & Black before destroying him?

BackWithaVengeance 07-10-2013 02:34 PM

This is far away from destroying him. It's July and October is far away.

Perfect time for the "what if" questions. I want him to succed just as much as you all do. :nod:

But "Negadelphians" are everywhere. Just look around.

Beef Invictus 07-10-2013 02:45 PM

Wow, God forbid I point out things might not be all sunshine, roses, and miraculous cancer cures.

Hiesenberg 07-10-2013 02:52 PM

I'm sure there will be some upside to Streit, all I'm reading is that he's going to shoot the puck into his own net and fall down all the time.

BackWithaVengeance 07-10-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 69030465)
Wow, God forbid I point out things might not be all sunshine, roses, and miraculous cancer cures.

Don't get me wrong, I meant myself.

JDinkalage Morgoone 07-10-2013 03:47 PM

I think he can be good next year and the year after. The next two years... that will be scary. I have confidence he can rebound from his knee injury.

Prongo 07-10-2013 05:14 PM

For some reason I am very optimistic about this signing. Islander fans just lost their captain and leading scorer from their defense. Hamonic is their best all around defender, but he isn't a star yet, and dare I saw a little over rated as well. I would take him on this team, but wouldn't burn the house down for him. I expect 50+ points from Streit this year. Of course their will be times where we want to punt him off the Ben Franklin bridge, but we as fans do that to every single player. Just some more than others..

LegionOfDoom91 07-10-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance (Post 69029877)
This is far away from destroying him. It's July and October is far away.

Perfect time for the "what if" questions. I want him to succed just as much as you all do. :nod:

But "Negadelphians" are everywhere. Just look around.

There's that word again, I just had a flashback to the daily Bryzgalov back and forth arguments last year.

Wanderson 10-18-2013 01:00 PM

What do you guys think about Streit after the first 8 games?

Hiesenberg 10-18-2013 01:02 PM

He's been about as good as the other 21 underachieving players.

Codith 10-18-2013 01:03 PM

I like Streit, usually plays pretty smart, nice passing, would like to see him shoot more though.

Beef Invictus 10-18-2013 01:03 PM

Looks competent offensively, but he has seriously nobody to work with since he's been trying to set up plays. Defensively I haven't seen him screw up regularly. I've missed 2.5 games, but so far I can only remember maybe 3 shifts from him that were obviously bad.

I'm not sure he's been worth 5mil though...but very few players are worth their cap hits right now.

CanadianFlyer88 10-18-2013 01:06 PM

He's soft in the defensive zone, which has caused him some problems getting pucks out from around and behind the net.

Offensively, he's been okay.

He's surprisingly (to me) fast, as well.