HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Speculation: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1466337)

Beville 07-10-2013 03:04 AM

2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII
 
Old thread went over the limit, continue here.



[MOD]
The previous thread (Part VI) can be found here.

--------------------

I'd still love to sign Mueller, regardless of his past... We signed Lats didn't we, we knew exactly what we'd get from him.

dennilfloss 07-10-2013 03:32 AM

What's next is the dreaded wait until training camp starts. Don't think much else will happen. :(

Marty Straka 07-10-2013 06:30 AM

People were talking about Brenden Morrow in the last thread... not gonna lie but I thought about him.. mostly to fill some of the veteran leadership void and he can still be productive on the 3rd line... I would envision a line like... Morrow - Z.Smith - Neil/Greening

We Want the Cup 2010 07-10-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Straka (Post 69012413)
People were talking about Brenden Morrow in the last thread... not gonna lie but I thought about him.. mostly to fill some of the veteran leadership void and he can still be productive on the 3rd line... I would envision a line like... Morrow - Z.Smith - Neil/Greening

He would be expensive (for Ottawa), and has regressed considerably. I think it is clear Murray and Mac want to get faster, not slower.

He would bring grit and leadership which you can never have enough of, but also has a history of injuries due to his style of play. If there was no self imposed cap, I would say sure, but I think what we have now is basically what we will start the season with. Corvo was our big move.:sarcasm:

Marty Straka 07-10-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 (Post 69012499)
He would be expensive (for Ottawa), and has regressed considerably. I think it is clear Murray and Mac want to get faster, not slower.

He would bring grit and leadership which you can never have enough of, but also has a history of injuries due to his style of play. If there was no self imposed cap, I would say sure, but I think what we have now is basically what we will start the season with. Corvo was our big move.:sarcasm:

He made 4.1mil on his last contract and as you've said he's regressed because of his still of play.. I think we could still get him at around 3mil like MacArthur perhaps even a tad under.

booger 07-10-2013 07:15 AM

I look at the Hawks as being the best team in the league. Speed, skill, size and experience. We're starting to have all the right parts. Elite #1 C, #1D and #1 G. Now now to complement with depth. Would love to model us around Chicago. Unfortunately that'll require $$$. Not sure if EM is willing to spend to cap.

hockeyalltheway 07-10-2013 07:17 AM

The big thing I have against signing Morrow is that we've already got too many forwards. Internal competition is nice, but as it stands it looks like we'll be scratching anywhere between two and four NHL players because there's no room on the roster.

OgieO 07-10-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway (Post 69012985)
The big thing I have against signing Morrow is that we've already got too many forwards. Internal competition is nice, but as it stands it looks like we'll be scratching anywhere between two and four NHL players because there's no room on the roster.

Agree with this. I don't want to bump our younger players.

Spezza
Ryan
Michalek
Turris
MacArthur
Smith
Greening
Condra
Neil
Conacher
Zibanejad

That's 11 guys I absolutely don't want to bump for an aging vet.

Then there's a group of guys like Stone, Pageau & Hoffman that I'd rather give a shot to over Morrow.

Manked 07-10-2013 07:43 AM

I'm a bit confused as to why Boyes hasn't signed.

I wonder what he'll go for.

Legend Killer 07-10-2013 07:49 AM

Id rather not add somebody for "veteran leadership"... Weve got Phillips, Neil, Spezza, Methot for that... I want the younger guys to grow into those roles... Another NHL body isnt what we really need...

SixthSens 07-10-2013 08:15 AM

Count me in the Jagr boat.

Ryan - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Jagr

:nod:

Answer 07-10-2013 08:19 AM

No old and slow guys. Either sign Mueller or Brunner. If not, then we can just try Conacher, Greening and Zibanejab on our top six. Hope Lazar and Prince also get a few looks with the big club.

Manked 07-10-2013 08:33 AM

Brunner is going to be the Ville Leino of this FA if he signs a huge contract.

Qward 07-10-2013 08:50 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if JOB gets bought out. Would cost the team $216K over two years vs $650K this year.

God Says No 07-10-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OgieO (Post 69013385)
Agree with this. I don't want to bump our younger players.

Spezza
Ryan
Michalek
Turris
MacArthur
Smith
Greening
Condra
Neil
Conacher
Zibanejad

That's 11 guys I absolutely don't want to bump for an aging vet.

Then there's a group of guys like Stone, Pageau & Hoffman that I'd rather give a shot to over Morrow.

This. I don't want a broken Mueller who couldn't even stick in Floreda. Morrow is not worth the price. Brunner is not bad, but I'd rather have Pageau, Stone or Hoffman over him. We need to see what the kids can do.

SelleckStache 07-10-2013 09:17 AM

We're going to get Penner by the end of the year.

I have a feeeeling

tony d 07-10-2013 09:21 AM

Wouldn't mind getting Brad Boyes to play on our bottom 6.

CanadianHockey 07-10-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classless Manked (Post 69013433)
I'm a bit confused as to why Boyes hasn't signed.

I wonder what he'll go for.

Probably asking more than he's worth after playing with Tavares all year. Consensus around the league seems to be that he's not a top-6 player anymore.

swiftwin 07-10-2013 09:44 AM

The only reason I want the Sens to sign Jagr is so that Jagr can say at his press conference: "I felt like Ottawa was my best chance at winning the cup one more time before I retire". Just to stick it to Alfie.

aragorn 07-10-2013 10:15 AM

IMO BM is done signing UFAs, he got the good young forward he wanted in MacArthur. Then he made that huge trade to replace Alfie with Ryan & signed the veteran defenceman he wanted in Corvo. Now I imagine he will wait until training camp to see who steps up & what he has in Ottawa. He will keep an eye on Bingo next season to see who will rise to the top down there & play really well. I assume that he will probably make a trade or two during the yr, maybe not so much to acquire a player but more so to make room for a couple of Bingo players like Stone & Robinson. Of course, he still has a lot of assets to work with should he want to bring in another top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman. We'll see but they look like they are in very good shape right now anyways. :handclap:

Cor 07-10-2013 10:58 AM

Who do you guys want as your next captain?

The Leafs waited a season or 2 before naming one after Mats, do you feel the same may be done in Ottawa?

hockeyalltheway 07-10-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cor99 (Post 69019561)
Who do you guys want as your next captain?

Consensus is Phillips, I think, but most agree it'll probably go to Spezza.

ErikKarlsson 07-10-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway (Post 69019597)
Consensus is Phillips, I think, but most agree it'll probably go to Spezza.

How is the consensus Phillips?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1462549

sanityplease 07-10-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SelleckStache (Post 69015551)
We're going to get Penner by the end of the year.

I have a feeeeling

:laugh: I've been thinking the same thing.

Want Jagr & a guy like Ference, will probably get Penner & Douglas Murray...

hockeyalltheway 07-10-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson (Post 69019699)

That's "who gets the C," not "who should get the C." That being said, I could be wrong. I'm only commenting based on what I've seen, which isn't the entire board.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.