HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   The Most Popular Beer in Beer Leagues? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1466503)

LastWordArmy 07-10-2013 11:54 AM

The Most Popular Beer in Beer Leagues?

http://lastwordonsports.com/nhl-happy-hour-the-most-popular-beer-in-beer-leagues/

NHL Happy Hour: The Most Popular Beer in Beer Leagues?

So, what beer is the most popular with your team? Do you fall into the mega brands category? Does your team go off the board with a local micro? Do you reach for the bargain basement beer or are you on the sophisticated end of the spectrum?

JoeCool16 07-10-2013 12:05 PM

My team usually does the local stuff, if you're from Greater Vancouver you'll recognize the names like Granville Island Brewery or Dead Frog (yuck).

A guy brought Sapporo once, which was pretty good haha.

My team actually has an unspoken rule, it seems. Try to bring a new beer every time, as the cooler gets passed to the new person. Sometimes people do just go with Canadian or Coors, but more often than not it's a local one.

AIREAYE 07-10-2013 12:23 PM

I find Molson M to be very drinkable.

Great thread btw.

Chanbing96 07-10-2013 01:07 PM

Labatt is the fall back...then anything from Bell's brewery if anyone's heard of that lol (Oberon, two hearted etc)

Hooah4 07-10-2013 01:09 PM

cold is preferred.

free..... if it's not my turn to bring.

Jisatsu 07-10-2013 02:16 PM

Seemed like either kokanee or olympia or whatever is cheapest on sale.

American in Paris 07-10-2013 02:58 PM

Just fill a trash can with snow from the Zamboni and any brand will do... the cheaper the better!

jazzykat 07-10-2013 03:05 PM

Ottakringer. Stiegl or Budweiser if we're fancy.

Jarick 07-10-2013 03:07 PM

Surprisingly good topic :yo:

You want something that's light enough to be refreshing and have a couple after the game without getting too buzzed. But you also want something that doesn't taste terrible or like water.

Grain Belt Nordeast is really popular in Minnesota, even though it's only been around a few years. Very drinkable American lager, kind of sweet, rarely skunky. Very refreshing.

Maybe throw a couple microbrews in there for the guys that like variety. I'll try and throw a couple Guinness in the mix too.

And nobody's going to complain if there's some cheap beer at the bottom of the cooler when they go in for thirds or fourths.

jsykes 07-10-2013 03:56 PM

Most teams I've played on have been pretty exclusively Coors Light, the beer that hydrates.

leftwinger37 07-10-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanbing96 (Post 69025347)
Labatt is the fall back...then anything from Bell's brewery if anyone's heard of that lol (Oberon, two hearted etc)

Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but Labatt has always been the standard in any league I have played in as well. Not too pretentious and not too refined; something everyone can agree on.

P.S. If you're bringing Bell's for everyone, I want to play on your team!

Chanbing96 07-10-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftwinger37 (Post 69040691)
Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but Labatt has always been the standard in any league I have played in as well. Not too pretentious and not too refined; something everyone can agree on.

P.S. If you're bringing Bell's for everyone, I want to play on your team!

i dont but two guys on my team do they are rich they dont drink "cheap beer" lol

AIREAYE 07-10-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 69031903)
Surprisingly good topic :yo:

You want something that's light enough to be refreshing and have a couple after the game without getting too buzzed. But you also want something that doesn't taste terrible or like water.

Grain Belt Nordeast is really popular in Minnesota, even though it's only been around a few years. Very drinkable American lager, kind of sweet, rarely skunky. Very refreshing.

Maybe throw a couple microbrews in there for the guys that like variety. I'll try and throw a couple Guinness in the mix too.

And nobody's going to complain if there's some cheap beer at the bottom of the cooler when they go in for thirds or fourths.

Guinness in beer league? That's a new one lol

It's my favorite beer of all, but it just seems weird in a lockerroom. It's very drinkable though.

LastWordArmy 07-10-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 69043157)
Guinness in beer league? That's a new one lol

It's my favorite beer of all, but it just seems weird in a lockerroom. It's very drinkable though.

I bring it sometimes.. It's smooth but not everyone drinks it. :handclap:

Inkling 07-10-2013 07:41 PM

Molson Ex seems to me to be the beer most closely associated with hockey. Perhaps that's because I'm originally from Montreal. I don't actually like it myself (anymore), but that seems to be a 'hockey beer'. I pretty much only drink micros but will drink anything if pressed.

Ozz 07-10-2013 08:29 PM

We don't even drink, but my dumbass teammates do other activities often enough.

Axman 07-10-2013 08:47 PM

The last 3x I was on beer duty I brought Moosehead, Lienenkugel Summer Shandy, and Magic Hat Elder Betty - their summer seasonal.

I hate it when guys just bring something like Coors light or Bud or Miller light.

LastWordArmy 07-11-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axman (Post 69051813)
The last 3x I was on beer duty I brought Moosehead, Lienenkugel Summer Shandy, and Magic Hat Elder Betty - their summer seasonal.

I hate it when guys just bring something like Coors light or Bud or Miller light.

I agree.. I try to mix it up, but sometimes the price overrides most desires.

Kevin Danko 07-11-2013 09:51 AM

Molson Canadian, Yuengling, Labatt Blue, The other night someone brought Miller Light, someone brought Molson Ice before and then we have some guys who are into craft brews and brought Dogfish World Wide ----basically tastes like wine its so strong.

I work at a national liqour distributor (not a store...we actually sell to the liqour stores/hotels/events) and get deals on beer (7 bucks a 30 pack/24 pack of bottles) and have brought in Victory Golden Monkey and that seemed to do the job.

We are sponsered by a bar so we usually head over for pitchers after every game and end up with Bud Light/Miller Light.

sanityplease 07-11-2013 11:30 AM

I see Coors Light, Canadian, then probably bud light the most, in that order.

ChiTownHawks 07-11-2013 11:59 AM

My rink does not allow outside booze and they are nut jobs about it. So we have to buy $3, 16 ounce cans of Labatt from them. They come in a Home Depot bucket filled with ice. Not my favorite beer, I too am more of a craft guy, but it's damn good right when you get off the ice.

mikitas donut 07-11-2013 01:18 PM

My team moved to a Park District rink and we can't have beer there. :shakehead

But we used to have Labatt at the old place.

LastWordArmy 07-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikitas donut (Post 69077959)
My team moved to a Park District rink and we can't have beer there. :shakehead

But we used to have Labatt at the old place.

My deepest condolences.

soldier0829 07-11-2013 02:53 PM

Is a shandy acceptable? Like a Leinenkugel?

Axman 07-11-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier0829 (Post 69084687)
Is a shandy acceptable? Like a Leinenkugel?

I brought it and the boys loved it. Added points and increased ice time if its ice cold. :yo: