HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   another comrie trade idea aaarrrggghhh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14690)

Mr Sakich 09-27-2003 03:47 AM

another comrie trade idea aaarrrggghhh

the wings have a young dman (kronwell) who has really impressed so far in camp. According to several wing forums, he has played well enough to earn a spot on the team. The wings are overloaded on defense with lidstrom, schneider, chelios, whooley, fischer, hatcher, and dandenault. They have 5 guys who should each be playing 25 minutes per night and 2 real good 5-7 guys.

Every trade proposal that I have seen involving the wings has come down to this : the wings don't have any young guys on defense other than fischer so he is untouchable. If kronwell deserves a spot on the wings, then maybe fischer becomes expendable..

The wings have hasek, cujo, and legace in goal. They have arguable the best defense ever assembled. They have grinders to spare. The only thing missing is a back-up for steve Y when he misses his 40 games this year.

I would lov to see a fischer for comrie deal and maybe the emergence of kronwell will make it happen.

Lowetide 09-27-2003 04:56 AM

I don't know enough about Kronwall to comment on him, but I like your thinking in regard to depth. That's where the bargains always come from, tremendous depth in one area. One of the most lopsided trades in NHL history, the Esposito-Hodge-Stanfield trade came about because a team already had tremendous depth when another player emerged. On a lesser level, this is why Satan was sent away by Edmonton.

Some areas of depth right now imo are:

Calgary defense (honest)
Carolina center (honest)
Detroit goal (duh)
Oiler wingers
New Jersey defense
Ottawa center

Because of that, players like Mike Commodore (Calgary), Denis Gauthier (Calgary), Jozef Vasicek (Carolina), Curtis Joseph (Red Wings-bad example, but you get the point), Jani Rita (Edmonton), Matt DeMarchi (New Jersey) and Antoine Vermette (Ottawa) are probably available at less than full price.

From that list, I don't see anyone I'd trade Comrie straight up for, but there's lots of nice players who could help the Oilers.

Can you tell me more about Kronwall? Is he a big time offensive defenseman? I see he's 5'11/165.

Mr Sakich 09-27-2003 05:20 AM

6'0", 185 lbs , 22 year old who spent the last 4 seasons in the swedish elite league. Det's 1st pick in 2000.

from HF

2002-03 season was a revelation for the 22-year-old Niklas Kronwall. After a slow start Kronwall managed to pick up his game and become one of the best defensemen in the SEL at the season's end. He finished the regular season with career highs in goals (5), assists (13), points (18) and penalty minutes (46).

Although his regular season was very strong, his post season was even better. He became the no.1 defenseman on Djurgården and logged well over 20 minutes per game. His increased ice time served him well as it boosted his confidence and made him more involved in the game. With 3 goals and 2 assists in 12 games Kronwall was the best scoring defenseman on the team.