HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How do you deal with being on the team that always loses? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1469547)

TickleMeYandle 07-15-2013 10:10 AM

How do you deal with being on the team that always loses?

I play on a team that is built of people who are assigned to that team - it's not a typical league with teams choosing their players.

Chip Chipperson 07-15-2013 10:16 AM

I guess it depends on the group you play with. My team right now is in a division that is a bit over our heads, we're 2-12-1, granted most of our losses are only 1 or 2 goals, but we know we don't have any chance come playoff time. We just don't take it too seriously at this point and just go out and have fun. Every division has to have a punching bag and as long as you're with a good group of guys all you can do is joke and have fun with it. If all else fails you could always goon it up a little just for the lulz

TickleMeYandle 07-15-2013 10:23 AM

I could totally deal with being in a division that is too high for us - at least we would be able to say that we expected to lose, since we were out of our league! Supposedly, the teams are "even" at the beginning of each season but I really don't think that ends up being the case. And yeah, if it were a group that had chosen to be together for fun rather than drafted we could look at it as a fun thing and just accept the losses. But I know that quite a few people who were drafted onto the team are there to do well and play their best, and doing that but getting defeated by that one thing we can't change is really getting to them.

Malarowski 07-15-2013 10:45 AM

Well what is the one thing that you can't change and causing you to lose? I might have missed it in the thread, but you seem to refer to it a bunch without specifying. Is somebody not pulling their weight? Is it that you're all thrown together? I am about to start playing on a similar team, and this team went 0-12 last time around, so I am in for a rough ride, but what do you feel is the issue?

JoeCool16 07-15-2013 10:46 AM

My team is set up fairly similar, and there is absolutely a situation close to yours. I'm going to guess it's the same, even though you didn't specifically state it.

One of the goalies in the league can't make a save.

If you find him to be your goalie at the start of the season, it's like a deathblow. You'll lose every game, maybe 10-8 but you'll lose it. Now I've never been on THAT team, but I've been on one that wasn't fun and did lose a lot of games. My advice would be to not only focus on getting better, but try things you don't normally do. I played defense on that team sometimes, because I had never done so before. I wasn't worried about contributing to losses because we were just going to lose anyway. When the season ended and the next one started with me on a new team, I was better for the experience.

tarheelhockey 07-15-2013 10:57 AM

The only thing you can really do is keep your chin up and focus on your personal development. Meaning both your hockey skills and your ability to be a leader in the group. Don't be the guy who just coasts around winding down the clock... play hard, encourage your teammates, and learn not to think about the scoreboard.

Eventually your team will get better (happens every time) and you'll be a better player because you were improving your game all this time.

TickleMeYandle 07-15-2013 11:02 AM

I like that idea, and our situations sound similar.

We've had a couple of games where we were short a C. I'm always scared to do it because I assume I'm not the strongest person for the job. But hey, if we're going to lose anyway, it's a chance to get some face-off experience, get a lot of skating in, and maybe get some more SOG. I've skated C a few times in a scrimmage situation where it didn't matter, but never felt that I was 'worthy' of the calling in a league game. Maybe I'll look at it differently.

soldier0829 07-15-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 69228301)
The only thing you can really do is keep your chin up and focus on your personal development. Meaning both your hockey skills and your ability to be a leader in the group. Don't be the guy who just coasts around winding down the clock... play hard, encourage your teammates, and learn not to think about the scoreboard.

Eventually your team will get better (happens every time) and you'll be a better player because you were improving your game all this time.

I completely agree here. I'm on a team in a similar situation: plenty of talent but we can't seem to get the W. I play as hard as I can, contribute as best I can and look at it as a way to improve as a player. Plus the guys on the team are great, so I get a lot of enjoyment out of their company.

And be sure to think positively going in to each game, too. Let the other team find ways to beat you; don't do it for them before the game even begins.

bigbadbruins1 07-15-2013 11:37 AM

My team was that way for a long time. 2-3 years of losing in a beer league and the team captain finally added some talented players. nothing over the top like former semi pro's, but players that belonged in the B league, not the C or D. it works out much better.

and to how I coped with it... I had beers. lots of beers.

JoeCool16 07-15-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 (Post 69229851)

Haha there's always that.

TickleMeYandle 07-15-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

I don't really drink. Maybe I should start?

jazzykat 07-15-2013 12:10 PM

Next year the organizers should put the bad goalie on a really good team. This year you can hustle and try to use some of your new skills. What's the worst that can happen?

Noir 07-15-2013 02:35 PM

I've been in such situations myself. Honestly, this is just bad league management/tiering.

The best hope is that the other team may not only have the hockey skill but hockey smarts as well to not run up the score and play full-tilt hockey on a bunch of clearly out-classed players.

If they get it wrong again next season, I say cease supporting such a league. Nobody pays $500 a season to be nothing more than punching bags

tarheelhockey 07-15-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clownquestion (Post 69230819)
I don't really drink. Maybe I should start?

There's the problem :laugh:

LastWordArmy 07-15-2013 02:58 PM

Drink!... but try to have fun with it. I think that working on little things helps everyone get better.

JagerPuck 07-15-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

My team was that way for a long time. 2-3 years of losing in a beer league and the team captain finally added some talented players. nothing over the top like former semi pro's, but players that belonged in the B league, not the C or D. it works out much better.

Hahaha, same here buddy. Beers always seem to do the trick after a loss.

BmxHockey 07-15-2013 06:18 PM

I've been in same predicament as the OP. it's simple-you move on. Go up a division or down. I quit because I felt like our team had no concerted effort and it started with our captain being the weakest link and not being able to recruit players well even though it wasn't a team fee. So I moved on. It's that simple sometimes.

scryan 07-15-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malarowski (Post 69227835)
Well what is the one thing that you can't change and causing you to lose? I might have missed it in the thread, but you seem to refer to it a bunch without specifying. Is somebody not pulling their weight? Is it that you're all thrown together? I am about to start playing on a similar team, and this team went 0-12 last time around, so I am in for a rough ride, but what do you feel is the issue?

Ummm, yeah.... So you go on and on about how you all clearly know why your losing and all... But wont let us in on it?
There are plenty of teams who are not a handpicked group of friends who do fine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clownquestion (Post 69228485)

We've had a couple of games where we were short a C. I'm always scared to do it because I assume I'm not the strongest person for the job. But hey, if we're going to lose anyway, it's a chance to get some face-off experience, get a lot of skating in, and maybe get some more SOG. I've skated C a few times in a scrimmage situation where it didn't matter, but never felt that I was 'worthy' of the calling in a league game. Maybe I'll look at it differently.

Is the secrete thing that you don't like to work on what your not good at?

Seems weird that the only thing holding you guys back is something no one can change when you avoid doing something because your bad at it?

If your not good as a center, and your occasionally needed to play center... Isn't that right there something you can work on instead of just throwing hands in the air because as it turns out doing better is impossible (not just difficult and uncomfortable?)

I suppose if there is nothing else to do, all you can is stop using wins and losses as a metric of success. Look smaller and focus on your own improvements and achievements so you can still play hard and accomplish, while still giving up on the championship :P

Splitbtw 07-15-2013 07:09 PM

The one reason is so obvious that the OP forgot to include it in the post.

One poster alluded to a goalie. If that's it, suck it up for the season and you should get a new one next season, no?

How often are teams assigned?

TickleMeYandle 07-15-2013 07:42 PM

A few more weeks and it will be the end of the season. Playoffs will probably be painful, but we will muddle through and hope for a trade. Undoubtedly some of us will be stuck in the same situation, but a few will escape. And maybe with a different mix of players, it will be possible to overcome the issue. Fingers crossed...

Mattb124 07-15-2013 09:40 PM

My team was 0-12-2 in a 16 game season last year. We were bad but everyone worked hard to improve and set personal goals (rather than team goals) to strive for. We won the last 2 games of the season, and are 9-1-0 so far this season.

Splitbtw 07-15-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clownquestion (Post 69247831)
A few more weeks and it will be the end of the season. Playoffs will probably be painful, but we will muddle through and hope for a trade. Undoubtedly some of us will be stuck in the same situation, but a few will escape. And maybe with a different mix of players, it will be possible to overcome the issue. Fingers crossed...

Ok seriously, what's "the issue?"

beth 07-15-2013 11:37 PM

Look at it as a chance to work on your defensive game this season. And then always have beer as a team afterward.

I don't think people are allowed to complain about the goalie unless they are willing to put on the pads themselves. I sure as hell don't want to play in net. I'd prefer a sieve over no goalie at all, and just make dang sure the other team never gets behind the defense.

kolankosf 07-16-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clownquestion (Post 69228485)

"Skate hard, then get the hell off the ice" Fred Shero

Just make the best of it, and the team has gotta focus on staying on your man. Wings on the point men, and stick to the boards. Just play basic fundamental hockey and outwork the other team. We were in kind of the same boat, and we just turned into a team that people didn't want to play against. We blocked shots, worked hard on the boards, stayed on our men which made it harder for them to cycle the puck.... We weren't fun to play against, but it was fun for us

JoeCool16 07-16-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolankosf (Post 69257361)
"Skate hard, then get the hell off the ice" Fred Shero

Just make the best of it, and the team has gotta focus on staying on your man. Wings on the point men, and stick to the boards. Just play basic fundamental hockey and outwork the other team. We were in kind of the same boat, and we just turned into a team that people didn't want to play against. We blocked shots, worked hard on the boards, stayed on our men which made it harder for them to cycle the puck.... We weren't fun to play against, but it was fun for us

I'm all for being competitive, but I'd advise against blocking shots when you're not winning games or heading to championships. There'll be a time it might make a sort of crazy sense (I went down for a couple in our championship game when we were up by 1 with a minute left) but I agree with the rest.

As a team practice breakout strategies and zone entry, focus on simple puck movement and don't worry so much about that one thing you can't change. Maybe once you accept you'll probably lose you'll play better too!