HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Blake Geoffrion officially retires (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1469671)

PyrettaBlaze 07-15-2013 02:21 PM

Blake Geoffrion officially retires

@CanadiensMTL:
Blake Geoffrion announces his retirement from professionnal hockey. DETAILS -> http://t.co/iYpYXOnRyv

Quote:

“After suffering an injury in November and taking time to recover and reflect, I have decided to step away from the game of hockey for the time being. I would like to thank Geoff Molson, Marc Bergevin, the entire Montreal Canadiens organization as well as the Hamilton Bulldogs organization for everything they have done for me. They have been unwavering in their support, professionalism and kindness. I cannot thank them enough ” said Blake Geoffrion.

“A young player appreciated by everyone within our organization, Blake has shown a lot of courage since suffering a serious injury. He made the decision to end his professional hockey career and we wish him the very best in his future endeavours” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin.

Blake Geoffrion, 25, suffered a depressed skull fracture on November 9, 2012 in an AHL game between the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Syracuse Crunch, at the Bell Centre.
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677987

JLP 07-15-2013 02:24 PM

Sad news but it seems the safest choice for Blake after the recent reports that he was considering a comeback.

Does anyone have information on what sort of insurance NA professional hockey players have that could help them in such a situation?

overlords 07-15-2013 02:24 PM

Ah man, that's so rough for the guy. I hope that if he wants to pursue a career in hockey in some other capacity, that they throw him a bone.

Hawkguy 07-15-2013 02:30 PM

I hope the Habs offer him some kind of other position if he wants to stay in involved in hockey. They made up enough positions last year when Bergevin was hired, they can make up another one! :laugh:

irunthepeg 07-15-2013 02:31 PM

All the best to him. Hope he can find some sort of office job within the organization.

Whitesnake 07-15-2013 02:41 PM

Not sure how you feel when as a player, you are the one responsible, cheap shot or not, for ending a guy's career. Ex-Dogs Jean-Philippe Côté is surely not liking this. Though if I remember well, it was a pretty severe but legal hit. Take care Blake. Nobody heard anything as far as job in the organization?

Myron Gaines* 07-15-2013 02:45 PM

It must be such a heart breaking decision. Were all gonna make it brahs.

Fish on The Sand 07-15-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 69236671)
Not sure how you feel when as a player, you are the one responsible, cheap shot or not, for ending a guy's career. Ex-Dogs Jean-Philippe Côté is surely not liking this. Though if I remember well, it was a pretty severe but legal hit. Take care Blake. Nobody heard anything as far as job in the organization?

It wasn't even the hit, it was the freak skate hitting the skull after the hit that caused the problems.

Whitesnake 07-15-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 69237133)
It wasn't even the hit, it was the freak skate hitting the skull after the hit that caused the problems.

Really? I thought it was when he hit his head on the ice. Look at the replay....there is an angle and you don't see that much of a contract with the skate. A little but that would have created the whole mess? Maybe, I don't know.

That 07-15-2013 03:13 PM

Such an unfortunate way to end your career. As others said, if he wants to remain involved in hockey, I hope the Habs offer him a position in the organization.

Best of luck, Blake.

le_sean 07-15-2013 03:18 PM

I'm happy he at least had the opportunity to wear the CH. Too bad he didn't score a goal at home, that would have been cool.

Habs10Habs 07-15-2013 03:28 PM

That's too bad, I was rooting for him when I heard about his comeback.

Analyzer 07-15-2013 03:35 PM

That hit was massive and the way he got up I didn't think anything of it. I figured he'd possibly be concussed.

PunkinDrublic* 07-15-2013 03:42 PM

Smart choice son !! Good on you, and good luck.

And yes it was confirmed that it was the contact with the skate that caused the skull fracture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 69237451)
Really? I thought it was when he hit his head on the ice. Look at the replay....there is an angle and you don't see that much of a contract with the skate. A little but that would have created the whole mess? Maybe, I don't know.

MonkeyBusiness 07-15-2013 03:49 PM

Hope he gets a job as a scout.

Hawkguy 07-15-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 69236671)

You could say former Hab. ;) He played a handful of games for us way back in the day.

CHill Seeker 07-15-2013 04:18 PM

great read. i felt this kid still had a shot on our 3rd or 4th line

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/90...eoffrion-story

GordonGraham 07-15-2013 04:21 PM

Sucks for him but even without the hit he was gonna be a call up guy for the rest of his career

FlyingKostitsyn 07-15-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGraham (Post 69240637)
Sucks for him but even without the hit he was gonna be a call up guy for the rest of his career

That is, ''at worse''. Which is actually a very successful career in itself. He could also have played a while in Europe later in his career, which is actually very nice. Living of hockey in Switzerland must be great. Getting a few games with the Habs here and there must be amazing too.

At best he might have become a bubble 3rd/4th line NHL, which is great. You don't have to be a top NHL to have a successful pro career in hockey. Its fun to call out players as busts on HFboards but its really unfair considering even a borderline NHLer is amongst the best of the best.

Anyways, I wish the best for Blake.

overlords 07-15-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Blake Geoffrion, at age 25, has retired. He is taking a job as a pro scout with the Columbus Blue Jackets and will be based in Chicago.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/90...eoffrion-story

So looks like he got a job, just not with us. ****ing Jarmo. :laugh:

Really sad read, though.

yoyo999 07-15-2013 04:47 PM

Yeah, with his name and his background in hockey he was bound to earn a living in hockey somehow. Was he not a Hobey Baker winner? I'm sure he spoke with UWisconsin, or wherever he went. They would have found something for him.

With that being said, the montreal canadiens don't owe him anything.

Crimson Skorpion 07-15-2013 04:49 PM

Best of luck to him. I was hoping he'd be able to live the dream and make his comeback but it wasn't meant to be. Hope he does well in Columbus.

HabsByTheBay 07-15-2013 04:53 PM

Too bad. I've no doubt playing for the Habs was very important for him and it's too bad he couldn't have played longer for the team.

RC51 07-15-2013 04:59 PM

SO he retires with a permanent injury.. so how much does he get.
What does the NHL give him on an annual basis for now on?

Tyson 07-15-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 69239393)
Hope he gets a job as a scout.

MB should give him a job scouting the NCAA