HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Earthquake!!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=147007)

Old Hickory 06-16-2005 03:56 PM

Earthquake!!!

Man that was a long one! I am a little motion sick

Old Hickory 06-16-2005 04:00 PM

5.3 centered near Yucaipa. I hope everyone here is ok

Edit- There was an aftershock immediately afterwards. That's why it felt so long

Matt13 06-16-2005 04:06 PM

I laugh at 5.3's.......ha ha!

King Blazer 06-16-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt13
I laugh at 5.3's.......ha ha!

Hey, Cammalleri won't like you laughing at him.... :D

GKJ 06-16-2005 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
5.3 centered near Yucaipa. I hope everyone here is ok

Edit- There was an aftershock immediately afterwards. That's why it felt so long

How close is that to LA/Anaheim?

Albi 06-16-2005 04:54 PM

I hope everybody is ok there

LuckyLUC20 06-16-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson

About 80 miles east of Los Angeles.

I felt it here.

Wow, 3rd one in California in a week! Pretty scary.

Matt13 06-16-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson

Yucaipa is closer to Palm Springs, so I would say 120 miles from LA and 80 or so from Anaheim

dafranchz 06-16-2005 05:44 PM

Trying to shake life back into the NHL???? :D

Face Wash 06-16-2005 06:57 PM

according to the USGS, Yucaipa is 70 miles NE of the LA Civic Center.

jfont 06-16-2005 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash
according to the USGS, Yucaipa is 70 miles NE of the LA Civic Center.

nerd! :p:

:D

i was on the 4th floor when the quake hit and i felt it for only a couple of seconds...the energy has desipated already when it came to downtown LA...

Dooney 06-16-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
nerd! :p:

i was on the 4th floor when the quake hit and i felt it for only a couple of seconds...the energy has desipated already when it came to downtown LA...

Well, the new construction of buildings in warner center on rollers sure works well :eek: 5th and top floor of the LNR buildings, and we rolled for almost a good 2 minutes. I was not feeling very well after that, the windows were pitching and the cube's were moving, I was not a happy camper. You would have thought the darn thing was in the valley we shook so hard and long!

Belanger25 06-16-2005 09:50 PM

I was at Work at Lamps Plus in Upland and I was in the stock room. I started to hear the roof move and then it really dawned on me what was happening. So I got the hell out of the stock room. So I ran onto the floor. Not really better considering all the Chandelier's were swaying. But I was mostly in the doorway. I didn't want anything from stock to fall on my head nor a fan. All the Customers freaked one tried to duck under a bulb tower. The people were freaked out there. Our manager ran out of the office basically bypassing fellow employees.

Word 06-17-2005 03:26 AM

Strange I didnt feel a thing and I live near Palm Springs.

Albi 06-17-2005 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Word
Strange I didnt feel a thing and I live near Palm Springs.

I guess the californian green stuff is still the best then...eh Word?

Face Wash 06-17-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
the energy has desipated already when it came to downtown LA...

Is there a formula for that kind of "desipation??" And you're calling ME a nerd... huh!! :D

King'sPawn 06-17-2005 10:21 AM

Better run for the hills and hide because of a possible tsunami!

Signed,
A San Diego resident

nikolai19 06-17-2005 12:38 PM

I was in Corona and in my office when it started to rattle. Being that this was about the 100th of these I've been in within the last 29 years, I was pretty calm. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for some of my halfwitted co-workers.

Women tend to get a little shaken (no pun intended) but you would be amazed at how many people don't know common sense about earthquakes and who live in California. There are two things about California you need to learn when you come in.

First, Spanish. Learn Spanish or be inferior. I am still amazed that they even give the option of teaching French to kids in SoCal anymore. If you take French in HS and you live in California, you should be promptly exited from the state to Quebec or that general region, where the language WILL HELP YOU GET BY! Secondly, earthquake safety is one of the easiest lessons to learn. I saw a lady yesterday, in her early 50's in my office, spinning around like a top when the quake was happening. When she came around on one pass, I told her to get under a doorway. She looked at me as if I had asked her to explain the Treaty of Versailles in less than 10 seconds. When she did not respond quickly and the spinning continued, I lost it a little bit and said, "Get under the F#$%ing doorway, Linda!" At that point she moved to a safer area. I had to do this with several people who were so ******** they just kind of sat there, deer in headlights style. Funny thing is, these are lifelong So Cal people. Didn't we learn to get under a desk or in a doorway when we are like 5 years old? Anyway, I think if I can use some cleaner language, I might be promoted to Official Earthquake Safety Guy based on what some people thought was my specific "expertise" in this field.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks (or slightly less intelligent dogs as well)

Word 06-17-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
I guess the californian green stuff is still the best then...eh Word?

I dont know I have never tried it. :D

Albi 06-17-2005 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Word
I dont know I have never tried it. :D

huge mistake
But, and I don't know why, I don't trust you...

:sarcasm:

jfont 06-17-2005 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19
I was in Corona and in my office when it started to rattle. Being that this was about the 100th of these I've been in within the last 29 years, I was pretty calm. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for some of my halfwitted co-workers.

Women tend to get a little shaken (no pun intended) but you would be amazed at how many people don't know common sense about earthquakes and who live in California. There are two things about California you need to learn when you come in.

First, Spanish. Learn Spanish or be inferior. I am still amazed that they even give the option of teaching French to kids in SoCal anymore. If you take French in HS and you live in California, you should be promptly exited from the state to Quebec or that general region, where the language WILL HELP YOU GET BY! Secondly, earthquake safety is one of the easiest lessons to learn. I saw a lady yesterday, in her early 50's in my office, spinning around like a top when the quake was happening. When she came around on one pass, I told her to get under a doorway. She looked at me as if I had asked her to explain the Treaty of Versailles in less than 10 seconds. When she did not respond quickly and the spinning continued, I lost it a little bit and said, "Get under the F#$%ing doorway, Linda!" At that point she moved to a safer area. I had to do this with several people who were so ******** they just kind of sat there, deer in headlights style. Funny thing is, these are lifelong So Cal people. Didn't we learn to get under a desk or in a doorway when we are like 5 years old? Anyway, I think if I can use some cleaner language, I might be promoted to Official Earthquake Safety Guy based on what some people thought was my specific "expertise" in this field.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks (or slightly less intelligent dogs as well)

I hear ya...but sometimes stress does certain things to people...It may very well that Linda knew what to do when an earthquake comes but she was so stressed that its happening that she couldn't really make sense of it all and make the appropriate action.

LuckyLUC20 06-17-2005 03:59 PM

During the Northridge quake I was freaking out. I knew what to do.. I learned how to duck and cover in elementary school.. or to stand under a doorway.. but my mind went blank and I started screaming and holding on for dear life. lol

Old Hickory 06-17-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
During the Northridge quake I was freaking out. I knew what to do.. I learned how to duck and cover in elementary school.. or to stand under a doorway.. but my mind went blank and I started screaming and holding on for dear life. lol

The Nortridge quake freaked me out because I kept getting out of bed to run for cover and the rollnig waves kept knocking me back in to bed.

nikolai19 06-17-2005 04:11 PM

In the Northridge quake, we sat in a car outside for about an hour. I guess the little ones I'm just used to and I figure everyone knows what to do. What scares me is that people don't know what to do in natural disasters and they end up getting hurt. I was yelling at people in this case because I don't want to see someone get hurt, especially when it could be prevented. The thing with earthquakes is sometimes they gain momentum. So you really don't know if it's a 7.5 or a 5.5.

Not poking fun at people, I would just try to be as educated as possible with natural disasters i.e. fire, rain, earthquakes, tsunamis (think of how many people could have been saved if they knew to try and move to higher ground, if possible.)