HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rank the Rangers #1 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1470529)

EpicDing 07-17-2013 12:10 AM

Rank the Rangers #1

I was bored, so I decided I wanted to run a poll ranking the Rangers' roster. I will be including RFA's yet to resign, and also our new UFA signings expected to make the team in Pouliot and Moore. Not including Kreider, who is basically a lock to make the team in some capacity, I will not include prospects, as that is a matter for another thread.
I took the liberty of putting King Henrik at #1 because there's no real debate there, but the rest is up to HFNYR. I will leave the polls open for approximately 24 hours each. I hope you all enjoy the poll!

#0 -- Henrik Lundqvist
#1 -- ???

Kahuna Nanu 07-17-2013 12:11 AM

If Stepan carries over his play from last season, it's him. Otherwise, Nash. So...Nash.

Lundsanity30 07-17-2013 12:12 AM

Nash until Stepan proves it over 82 games.

aufheben 07-17-2013 12:25 AM

Stepan.

AWall THE CLAW 07-17-2013 12:26 AM

Ryan Callahan.

He means so, so, so much to the Rangers. He sets the tone, establishes the forecheck, plays great two way hockey, is a beast on the PK, throws his body around, leads by example, wears the "C"... oh, and chips in about 25-30 goals over the course of a full season.

He's probably not as good of a pure hockey players as Nash or McD, but he is the guy I never want to see out of the lineup.

EpicDing 07-17-2013 12:30 AM

I'm going with Stepan. He was our best skater last year, and should continue this year.

aufheben 07-17-2013 12:46 AM

I'm surprised at all the Nash votes honestly. Stepan contributes a lot on both sides of the puck, Nash is totally one dimensional.

Based on last season: Stepan > Nash > McDonagh

Swedish Fish 07-17-2013 12:49 AM

This is tough, unless Richards returns to #1c form Stepan is our #1 center and our most valuable player behind Lundqvist , but without Nash this team has no legit goal scoring threat. Im going to pick Stepan though, he might not be a true #1 center yet but i think he can be.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-17-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aufheben (Post 69293963)
I'm surprised at all the Nash votes honestly. Stepan contributes a lot on both sides of the puck, Nash is totally one dimensional.

You just described the difference between a center and a wing. Nash needs to have a near career year, Stepan needs to prove he can play at--and even above--the level he played last season throughout an 82 game schedule. Both need to play well (and score) in the playoffs.

I voted Nash, but only by a nose. If Staal was completely healthy I'd have considered voting for him.

aufheben 07-17-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 69294233)
You just described the difference between a center and a wing. Nash needs to have a near career year, Stepan needs to prove he can play at--and even above--the level he played last season throughout an 82 game schedule. Both need to play well (and score) in the playoffs.

I voted Nash, but only by a nose. If Staal was completely healthy I'd have considered voting for him.

A winger can't contribute defensively? Let's exclude FO's, Takeaways, defense, etc. You could still argue Stepan was more important. Although, the OP doesn't have a lot of criteria listed for ranking, so there's probably some misunderstanding.

D. Stepan 48GP 18G 26A 44P +25 12PIM 6GW
R. Nash 44GP 21G 21A 42P +16 26PIM 3GW

Oak 07-17-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger (Post 69293455)
Ryan Callahan.

He means so, so, so much to the Rangers. He sets the tone, establishes the forecheck, plays great two way hockey, is a beast on the PK, throws his body around, leads by example, wears the "C"... oh, and chips in about 25-30 goals over the course of a full season.

He's probably not as good of a pure hockey players as Nash or McD, but he is the guy I never want to see out of the lineup.

Too bad he hasn't played like this in over a season (half).

Let's hope that after surgery and minus Torts he will go back to his old self.

Oak 07-17-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aufheben (Post 69293963)

He played great last season but I still think he has to prove himself. This year will show whether or not he will be > Nash.

aufheben 07-17-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beardacus (Post 69294795)
He played great last season but I still think he has to prove himself. This year will show whether or not he will be > Nash.

I won't disagree with this.

TheRedViper 07-17-2013 01:42 AM

McDonagh

Brooklyn Ranger 07-17-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aufheben (Post 69294361)
A winger can't contribute defensively? Let's exclude FO's, Takeaways, defense, etc. You could still argue Stepan was more important. Although, the OP doesn't have a lot of criteria listed for ranking, so there's probably some misunderstanding.

D. Stepan 48GP 18G 26A 44P +25 12PIM 6GW
R. Nash 44GP 21G 21A 42P +16 26PIM 3GW

First off, the criteria is our opinion--there's nothing objective here. Very honestly, it's a toss-up: there have to be 6 players on the ice at any given time, so picks 2-6 should represent the "best" players on the roster.

Second, there's more to picking a player than looking at last season's stats. Stepan played like a first line center for about 40 games during the regular season--he has to continue that type of play for a whole season and hopefully get even better to justify my picking him.

Finally, defense is nice, but teams have to score to win. And there's got to be at least one winger doing a fair chunk of that scoring to help things along.

aufheben 07-17-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 69295899)
First off, the criteria is our opinion--there's nothing objective here. Very honestly, it's a toss-up: there have to be 6 players on the ice at any given time, so picks 2-6 should represent the "best" players on the roster.

Second, there's more to picking a player than looking at last season's stats.

Ok, go on. I agree, but I also think that goes in Stepan's favor. Nash has been at it longer, so you could said he's more proven.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-17-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aufheben (Post 69295987)
Ok, go on. I agree, but I also think that goes in Stepan's favor. Nash has been at it longer, so you could said he's more proven.

I did. hit the button too soon--and you already conceded that Stepan has to play like he did for more than a lockout shortened season.

ImIdaho 07-17-2013 02:54 AM

I honestly went with McDonagh. I think he continues to be a defensive bedrock and with a new coach in tow who also expects his D to chip in offensively, I really think McD will shine.

Fire AV 07-17-2013 03:19 AM

btw, it's Arron Asham.

Weird spelling

Cake or Death 07-17-2013 03:37 AM

Tough call, but I went with McDonagh. Still can't believe he only just turned 24 last month, and he is that good and that poised.

Kokoschka 07-17-2013 04:57 AM

I'll go with McDonagh as well. The guy already is a top 15 defender in the league and he's only going to get better. Nash and Stepan aren't even Top 30 forwards IMO (Stepan was last year, but I want him to prove that).

JHaggis 07-17-2013 06:38 AM

Ryan Callahan is best after King

EpicDing 07-17-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib (Post 69296747)
btw, it's Arron Asham.

Weird spelling

Ah ok thanks, I'll fix it in the next one.

Jabroni 07-17-2013 07:29 AM

Rick Nash.

HatTrick Swayze 07-17-2013 08:28 AM

Nash
McD
Step
Staal

IMO