HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shoot (high/low) or Deke? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=147123)

SkateLikeTheWind 06-17-2005 01:05 PM

Shoot (high/low) or Deke?

You and the goalie...

What are you more likely to do? Shoot high/low or deke?

I like to deke unless he's giving up a huge hole somewhere.

Slats432 06-17-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
You and the goalie...

Most times I will shoot high glove if he catches with his left hand. Otherwise I deke.

HSHS 06-17-2005 01:29 PM

Stick side has the most holes. So I go for just over the pad when I shoot. But normally I'll deke.

edit: to clarify, just over where the pad would be when flat.

CornKicker 06-17-2005 01:40 PM

if i'm playing a goalie under 6 feet, i shoot just inside the post along the ice, try it - it works everytime

FLYLine27 06-17-2005 01:41 PM

I always deke for 5 hole. I can score about 75% with my deke.

Kardi 06-17-2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I always deke for 5 hole. I can score about 75% with my deke.

whats your deke?

and i normally deke and wait for the goalie to bite then shoot up top

Ludwig Fell Down 06-17-2005 02:06 PM

If there's time, it depends on where the goalie is. If he's back in the net, I usually shoot stick side low. If he's out, I usually fake high then go backhand and try and slip the puck underneath while he is moving.

WVP 06-17-2005 02:17 PM

Nothing makes me happier than torching a goalie 1 on 1. So unless he's leaving a large space to shoot at, I'm gonna try to turn him inside out.

HSHS 06-17-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down
If there's time, it depends on where the goalie is. If he's back in the net, I usually shoot stick side low. If he's out, I usually fake high then go backhand and try and slip the puck underneath while he is moving.

Most open spot against A and lower skilled goalies...

PDO 06-17-2005 03:17 PM

Depends.. I'm assuming this is a breakaway?

If I'm coming straight in.. one of two things I'll do. First move (and favourite) is to do a shoulder dip to try and freeze the goalie a bit and then go high blocker, right under the crossbar. Second move is an inside-outside deke. I'll cut to my left (left handed shot) and then pull it to the back hand and either go fivehole or shelf, depending on how the goalie reacts.

If I'm really cocky and have all sorts of time I'll occasionally try to pull Zhamnov/Forsberg's 1 handed deke ;).

FLYLine27 06-17-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kardi
whats your deke?

and i normally deke and wait for the goalie to bite then shoot up top

Deke wide to forhand..then back to to my backhand..but right before the puck gets to the backhand i push it forward between the goalie legs. It works almost all the time. Its very very simple when you get the hang of it.

It might sound a little confusing the way i describe it..i got it that deke from #66...he makes it look so easy and it really is.

Mxpunk 06-17-2005 04:54 PM

I go low five hole or corners....

DisgruntledHawkFan 06-18-2005 02:11 AM

As a goalie, I'd prefer a player to deke ten out of ten times. I play a stand up style, and low shots glove side are my one major weakness.

Skk82 06-18-2005 10:24 AM

easiest way is a shoulder dip to shake the goalie a little, then pull it to your backhand and slip it in the five hole as he slides over to adjust to your move.

HockeyMan9 06-18-2005 06:30 PM

A lot of times I'll fake a deke, make it like i'm going to the right, then try to tuck it inside the left post about a foot off the ice. Sounds complicated but it has worked many times.

CH Wizard 06-18-2005 09:13 PM

Omg, I've a hell of a wrist shot...in the All star game I scored 5 goals in the high slot...I like doing dekes...I do a nice deke and complete with a nice backhand...I wish I had some videos...

I like to do dekes but like in a critic situation, I always shoot (in the high slot).

West19 06-18-2005 10:18 PM

i have only 2 moves on breakaways, deke to the backhand and roof it or shoot for the low corners

Le Golie 06-19-2005 07:47 AM

As a goalie I love players who have a pre-planned move and have their minds set that they will go with it before they even get to me. If you don't play it smart and wait for me to give you an advantage, you probably wont beat me.

teamstag 06-19-2005 03:35 PM

I'm not great a deking yet so I tend to just pick a spot and shoot for it. Although I have deked out a few goalies even though I had no idea what I was doing.

Mackee 06-21-2005 08:08 AM

Considering my hands of stone, I'll shoot nine times out of ten. Mostly high blocker side but I've been having much more success with low shots.

I'll deke if the goalie has committed himself and not backed up in his crease. Most goalies I play against aren't that aggressive though.

John Flyers Fan 06-21-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
You and the goalie...

Everything should depend on how the goalie is positioned and playing you.

If he comes out and challenges I'll deke, and usually go to the backhand.

If he's staying deep in his net shoot the puck, either top corner over his glove, or low to the stick side.

Steelhead16 06-21-2005 01:29 PM

I usually spend the whole warm up at center ice watching the goalie. If he's a butterfly guy I'll drop a shoulder to get him to go down and then go top shelf or a stand up guy I'll get him to move left or right and go 5 hole.

Hyped 06-21-2005 04:51 PM

5-hole, every time....

Le Golie 06-21-2005 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelhead16
I usually spend the whole warm up at center ice watching the goalie. If he's a butterfly guy I'll drop a shoulder to get him to go down and then go top shelf or a stand up guy I'll get him to move left or right and go 5 hole.

Jeez man, you should spend the warmup worrying about warming up. Watching a goalie in warmup is usually useless, they don't play like they play in a game - at least I don't. Once I start sweating I just spend most of the warmup standing up using my legs and arms on a reflex only basis just to get my muscle quickness going. For a few minutes at the end of warmup I switch and go all out flopping around to get loose and get the heart rate up. Once the game starts I play a completely different style.

Jack Canuck 06-21-2005 08:37 PM

I like to cut to the left side and as soon as the goalie comits to following me I try to pull back and put it in the top right corner. If he is slow to comit I try to backhand it just inside the left post.