HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Boyle, Couture, Thornton, Vlasic; Pavelski & Niemi invited to Olympic camps (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1473627)

stalockrox 07-22-2013 01:13 PM

Boyle, Couture, Thornton, Vlasic; Pavelski & Niemi invited to Olympic camps
 
The Canadian camp roster has been announced. It's, um, interesting. 4 Sharks are on it.

It's great Vlasic got an invite and pretty ridiculous that Lucic, Marchand, Kunitz, Ladd were brought in over Benn, Spezza and Marleau.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...on-Camp/Roster

Lebanezer 07-22-2013 01:39 PM

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it feels weird seeing that Joe is only younger than Boyle, St. Louis, and Lu8ngo. I feel, old.

stalockrox 07-22-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebanezer (Post 69486323)
Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it feels weird seeing that Joe is only younger than Boyle, St. Louis, and Lu8ngo. I feel, old.

Ya, young group of skaters, some of which are there for 'future' experience.

That team is utterly ridiculous when it comes to defense too.

TheJuxtaposer 07-22-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 69484831)
The Canadian camp roster has been announced. It's, um, interesting. 4 Sharks are on it.

It's great Vlasic got an invite and pretty ridiculous that Lucic, Marchand, Kunitz, Ladd were brought in over Benn, Spezza and Marleau.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...on-Camp/Roster

Ignoring Marleau, the fact that Lucic, Kunitz, and Marchand were brought in over Benn, Spezza, Seguin, and Kane is absolutely ridiculous.

WTFetus 07-22-2013 01:49 PM

If you aren't invited to camp, is there still a chance a player could make it on the roster? Considering two-way play, LW depth (weaker than C depth), and Babcock love, I thought Marleau had a higher chance of making the team than Thornton or Boyle.

Lebanezer 07-22-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 69486431)
Ya, young group of skaters, some of which are there for 'future' experience.

That team is utterly ridiculous when it comes to defense too.

They're loaded for sure, tho I bet Niedes could lace em up and take all those kids to school still. Plus I have high hopes for USA, love the mix and balance, hope they can gel and pull off an upset.

stalockrox 07-22-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 69486767)
If you aren't invited to camp, is there still a chance a player could make it on the roster? Considering two-way play, LW depth (weaker than C depth), and Babcock love, I thought Marleau had a higher chance of making the team than Thornton or Boyle.

A chance, yes but it's not likely. I don't think Thornton, Vlasic or Boyle have much of a chance of making the team.

Lebanezer 07-22-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 69486841)
A chance, yes but it's not likely. I don't think Thornton, Vlasic or Boyle have much of a chance of making the team.

You think LoCo has a real chance?

stalockrox 07-22-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebanezer (Post 69486801)
They're loaded for sure, tho I bet Niedes could lace em up and take all those kids to school still. Plus I have high hopes for USA, love the mix and balance, hope they can gel and pull off an upset.

Me too (on both accounts).

Quote:

You think LoCo has a real chance?
The fact he can play LW gives him a chance, not sure it's a real one though.

LadyStanley 07-22-2013 02:03 PM

CurtisPashelka 11:45am via Web Camp will be in Calgary from Aug. 25-28 (five goaltenders, 17 defensemen and 25 forwards)

SanJoseSharks 11:44am via HootSuite Congratulations to Dan Boyle, @Logancouture, Joe Thornton and Marc-Edouard Vlasic on invites to @HockeyCanada orientation camp! #Sochi2014


CurtisPashelka 11:43am via Web #SJSharks' Dan Boyle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Logan Couture and Joe Thornton have been invited to attend Team Canada's orientation camp.


SanJoseSharks 11:38am via HootSuite #SJSharks tied for 2nd most invites to @HockeyCanada men's team orientation camp in Aug. READ: go.sjsharks.com/ncXFP

TheJuxtaposer 07-22-2013 02:05 PM

Yeah, Couture has a small chance, and the rest have none.

stalockrox 07-22-2013 02:09 PM

LS - you should make this the Olympic thread. Finland's posted their roster and the US and Czech rosters are due out soon, may as well have it all in one place.

Barrie22 07-22-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 69486767)
If you aren't invited to camp, is there still a chance a player could make it on the roster? Considering two-way play, LW depth (weaker than C depth), and Babcock love, I thought Marleau had a higher chance of making the team than Thornton or Boyle.

yes, but injuries have to decimate the team basically, and the players that were invited and didn't make it have to basically fall off the face of the earth.

i've been saying for the past few months, that thornton is loved by babcock more then any one invited for what he brings to the game. if there is 1 player that goes to be the veteran leadership type player it is thornton. he has been there for the low (the 7th or 8th place finish), and he has been there for the high winning gold.

couture if he gets picked for the team, it means that they see him as one of the main guys in 2018. this actually goes for any of the young 1st time invites. i actually think couture will get bergerons spot on the last olympic teams spot (13th forward)

vlasic even though he is one of the best defensive forwards in the league, he is going to get booted pretty fast in the selection video that the team did last time around.

boyle needs to show that last season was indeed just a fluke to start the season. if he stays the same or dips he won't make it either.

OrrNumber4 07-22-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 69487581)
Yeah, Couture has a small chance, and the rest have none.

I would say Thornton has a chance. He was a great third-line center the last go-around. Boyle should have an outside chance..statistically speaking, last year was an outlier year for him. Plus, he'd bring a ton of experience and leadership to the roster.

I assume that Kunitz made it solely because of his chemistry with Crosby.

Lucic is the power forward. He brings that element that Marleau, or many other players, do not bring. Remember, they are not trying to build a roster of the 20 most talented/best player. They are trying to build the best team.

Marchand, I am guessing, was invited because he showed, how in Boston, he could dominate in any role. He's played 4th, 3rd, and 1st-line minutes IIANM.

Lebanezer 07-22-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 69487581)
Yeah, Couture has a small chance, and the rest have none.

Here's my dream: LoCo, snubbed. Pavs wins a draw and a net front battle, kicking it out to Parise with 4secs left to give USA a 4-3 lead in the gold medal game. After accepting the gold and the podium glory pavs says "It was a broken play and we just believed. Maybe if Joe or Patty had lined up against me I'd have lost the draw but Crosby is just weaker in those situations, Canada couldn't clear the net cause they're all skill on the backend and we were able to bury it with luongo wayyyyyy out of position. It wasn't easy even though it looked that way."
:)


And then the sharks win their first of seven straight cups, me celebrating each victory with my new girlfriend Bar Refaeli.

I'd say the odds are good on that.

TheJuxtaposer 07-22-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 (Post 69487883)
I would say Thornton has a chance. He was a great third-line center the last go-around.

I assume that Kunitz made it solely because of his chemistry with Crosby.

Lucic is the power forward. He brings that element that Marleau, or many other players, do not bring. Remember, they are not trying to build a roster of the 20 most talented/best player. They are trying to build the best team.

Marchand, I am guessing, was invited because he showed, how in Boston, he could dominate in any role. He's played 4th, 3rd, and 1st-line minutes IIANM.

Define "great"? Being last of Canada's forwards in points besides the 13th forward is great? Thornton was easily the worst Sharks skater at the 2010 Olympics besides (lol) Murray (simply because Murray at 100% is much worse than Thornton at 20%). I guess an argument could be made for Heatley after he did ****-all in the qualifying round. Add to that that he can't play wing at all and that he's weaker on big ice, and I have a lot of trouble seeing him as a serious candidate. Of course, I would love to be wrong.

As for Lucic, it's a pathetic invite. He's a 2nd liner in the NHL. There's no fighting in the Olympics, and Nash can do anything Lucic can do better. Evander Kane would have been a better selection than Lucic. Lucic's skating would be awful on big ice. As an American, I'd be thrilled if Lucic made the Canadian team. Marchand's a better option.

WantonAbandon 07-22-2013 02:20 PM

Lots of speculation here, but if a player is invited to camp he has a chance of making the team. Otherwise the player wouldn't have been invited to camp. This should go without saying...

As I said before, Vlasic is ridiculously under ratted by many

Barrie22 07-22-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantonAbandon (Post 69488387)
Lots of speculation here, but if a player is invited to camp he has a chance of making the team. Otherwise the player wouldn't have been invited to camp. This should go without saying...

As I said before, Vlasic is ridiculously under ratted by many

yes he is under ratted, but in the group defensemen he is probably 9th or 10th on the list of who canada would bring 1st.

stalockrox 07-22-2013 02:31 PM

And here's the US roster.

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...rrer_id=844349

Like Canada, a lot of youth brought in for future experience.

TheJuxtaposer 07-22-2013 02:34 PM

Unsurprisingly, Pavelski on the roster. Man, it depresses me to see a guy like Justin Abdelkader on the US roster and a guy like Jason Spezza left off the Canadian one.

Barrie22 07-22-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 69488897)
And here's the US roster.

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...rrer_id=844349

Like Canada, a lot of youth brought in for future experience.

and like 2010, not much full on talent. but lots of hard working players.

kane, parise,kessel, ryan stick out like a sore thumb on that team.

OrrNumber4 07-22-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 69488347)
Define "great"? Being last of Canada's forwards in points besides the 13th forward is great? Thornton was easily the worst Sharks skater at the 2010 Olympics besides (lol) Murray (simply because Murray at 100% is much worse than Thornton at 20%). I guess an argument could be made for Heatley after he did ****-all in the qualifying round. Add to that that he can't play wing at all and that he's weaker on big ice, and I have a lot of trouble seeing him as a serious candidate. Of course, I would love to be wrong.

As for Lucic, it's a pathetic invite. He's a 2nd liner in the NHL. There's no fighting in the Olympics, and Nash can do anything Lucic can do better. Evander Kane would have been a better selection than Lucic. Lucic's skating would be awful on big ice. As an American, I'd be thrilled if Lucic made the Canadian team. Marchand's a better option.

Didn't Thornton start like 70% of his shifts in the defensive zone, finishing half of them in the offensive zone?

Lucic has one big thing going for him over Nash; playoff pedigree. Nash is still figuring out how to win in the big games. Lucic has shown that he can find success in important games; he can adjust his game to win. I know that you will argue that Lucic got lucky, and Nash was unlucky, but NHL management does not see it that way.

Evander Kane is much the same. Experience is an issue. You also have to wonder how Kane will perform in a (severely) reduced role. Always beware of point-compilers on poor teams.

Barrie22 07-22-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 (Post 69489139)
Didn't Thornton start like 70% of his shifts in the defensive zone, finishing half of them in the offensive zone?

Lucic has one big thing going for him over Nash; playoff pedigree. Nash is still figuring out how to win in the big games. Lucic has shown that he can find success in important games; he can adjust his game to win. I know that you will argue that Lucic got lucky, and Nash was unlucky, but NHL management does not see it that way.

Evander Kane is much the same. Experience is an issue. You also have to wonder how Kane will perform in a (severely) reduced role. Always beware of point-compilers on poor teams.

I think you might want to look up a few of team canada goal scoring records.

One thing nash does is come up big in big games. He is and has been since jrs one of canada's best players to put on the maple leaf.

Kitten Mittons 07-22-2013 02:43 PM

Thornton was terrible. He forgot that he is a scoring threat.

OrrNumber4 07-22-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie22 (Post 69489413)
I think you might want to look up a few of team canada goal scoring records.

One thing nash does is come up big in big games. He is and has been since jrs one of canada's best players to put on the maple leaf.

He didn't come through in the playoffs.

In any case, both can make the team. I'm not necessarily advocating for one over the other; just pointing out that there are some things like Lucic brings that Nash doesn't.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.