HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Vaneks latest comments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1474985)

BuzzKillington90 07-24-2013 05:23 PM

Vaneks latest comments

@StepnerWKBW: Coming up at 6 on Ch7 #Buffalo #Sabres Thomas Vanek:"You'd like to be on a team where you feel, going into camp, you're contending....(cont)

@StepnerWKBW: #Buffalo #Sabres Thomas Vanek cont. "Right now in Buffalo, we're rebuilding, which is not the best scenerio for me." More on Ch.7 @WKBW at 6

Nothing new, but yeaaaaaa

haseoke39 07-24-2013 05:30 PM

There will still be some who say he can be re-signed.

CriminallyVu1gar 07-24-2013 05:32 PM

If you can convince him to start the season on the team and the team becomes competitive, I think you can convince him to stay. Honestly think he deserves better though.

TehDoak 07-24-2013 05:33 PM

RSeen 07-24-2013 05:34 PM

Can't see anyway Buffalo is even close to competing. Seems like he will be gone. NJ is a good fit, with him I'd pick them to go deep in the playoffs. :yo:

dotcommunism 07-24-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSeen (Post 69576107)
Can't see anyway Buffalo is even close to competing. Seems like he will be gone. NJ is a good fit, with him I'd pick them to go deep in the playoffs. :yo:

New Jersey finished with the same number of points as Buffalo did last season and they just lost Kovalchuk. They're a fringe playoff team at best with Vanek

Moskau 07-24-2013 05:39 PM

The funny part being that the team isn't rebuilding until they get rid of Thomas and Miller. Getting rid of Gerbe, Regehr and Leopold makes them a better team. Pominville and Sekera are the only real losses in this rebuild so far.

Myllz 07-24-2013 05:53 PM

Hopefully he plays out of his mind and someone offers way more than they should for him at the deadline.

haseoke39 07-24-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 69576291)
The funny part being that the team isn't rebuilding until they get rid of Thomas and Miller. Getting rid of Gerbe, Regehr and Leopold makes them a better team. Pominville and Sekera are the only real losses in this rebuild so far.

The LA Kings and St. Louis Blues are two of the best defensive teams in the league, and they thought well enough of Regehr and Leopold to re-sign them. They're bottom pairing guys on a good team, but definitely not addition by subtraction unless you assume we have some rookie phenoms stuck behind them.

Dixon Ward 07-24-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 69576719)
Hopefully he plays out of his mind and someone offers way more than they should for him at the deadline.

best case scenario, in my opinion

Moskau 07-24-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haseoke39 (Post 69576761)
The LA Kings and St. Louis Blues are two of the best defensive teams in the league, and they thought well enough of Regehr and Leopold to re-sign them. They're bottom pairing guys on a good team, but definitely not addition by subtraction unless you assume we have some rookie phenoms stuck behind them.

They're very much addition by subtraction with the system Buffalo played.

joshjull 07-24-2013 06:34 PM

The funny thing is getting traded doesn't necessarily put him in a better situation. He doesn't have a NTC/NMC, so he is has zero control over where he goes.

haseoke39 07-24-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 69577825)

I think you should probably back that up with like, an analysis of how our system is different from LA's and St. Louis' and how Regehr and Leopold fit in each.

Myllz 07-24-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 69577825)

So our defense couldn't use a solid stay at home defender who roughs people up, nor a puck moving defenseman because of our system? So, what exactly can our system utilize then?

Kruschiki 07-24-2013 07:03 PM

Trade deadline will be the best value for Vanek - maybe even for Miller. The problem is if the Sabres are within striking distance statistically, Regeir probably wont part with them.

WhoIsJimBob 07-24-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruschiki (Post 69578973)
Trade deadline will be the best value for Vanek - maybe even for Miller. The problem is if the Sabres are within striking distance statistically, Regeir probably wont part with them.

I'm more worried about Pegula not being willing to move them than Regier.

Regier kept players like Zhitnik too long when making the playoffs for the extra revenue was huge.

Regier is a good soldier. And he knows the best thing for the franchise is moving them. Now whether his boss agrees.....

Rivet52 07-24-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haseoke39 (Post 69576761)

Not that it pertains to Vanek, but disagree on Regehr. He's still a top-four IMO. He's fine for a good team's second pairing. I don't think the Kings would have given us what they did for him if they didn't think so and he certainly played well enough when he got there to support my claim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 69578181)
The funny thing is getting traded doesn't necessarily put him in a better situation. He doesn't have a NTC/NMC, so he is has zero control over where he goes.

But the thing is, which teams do you expect to have the most interest in making a Vanek trade? To me, it would be teams who are playoff/Cup contenders or at least think with Vanek they have a good shot at the playoffs. I don't expect bottom-dwellers to have much interest; why would a team in the same position or worse than us (a team that isn't expected to really go anywhere this season) give up the type of package needed to acquire a player with only a year left on his contract? Any team that is willing to part with the assets (likely a combination of good young roster players, good prospects, and picks) is a team in a much better position than we are. Therefore, I see it very likely Vanek ends up on a better team if he's moved eventually, almost guarantee it. Regardless of whether he controls his destination or not, odds are he'll end up in a better one than here, for the reasons stated above and due to the fact that Buffalo is simply expected to be near the bottom of the standings in the East, so there aren't many teams worse.

Why would teams like, say, Calgary or Florida give up significant pieces when they are in the same or arguably a worse position than us? Unless they knew he'd re-sign with them, it makes no sense for any basement team to take a chance at having him for a year and him walking. I suppose anything can be expected of Calgary with Feaster at the helm but I don't expect something like that from even him. If Vanek's traded, he'll be going to a better team.

SabresAreScaryGood 07-24-2013 07:29 PM

Vanek is jealous of Pominville. Maybe Vanek thought he would be traded to the Wild, when it didnt happen he got pissed.

CriminallyVu1gar 07-24-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivet52 (Post 69579171)
Not that it pertains to Vanek, but disagree on Regehr. He's still a top-four IMO. He's fine for a good team's second pairing. I don't think the Kings would have given us what they did for him if they didn't think so and he certainly played well enough when he got there to support my claim.

Wasn't it said that Regehr was a major weak point for the Kings during the playoffs?

Rivet52 07-24-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar (Post 69580041)
Wasn't it said that Regehr was a major weak point for the Kings during the playoffs?

No not at all. Regehr was really good for the Kings upon arriving in L.A. Kings fans are very happy with him and were pleased to see him re-signed. He was playing with Doughty on their top pairing. I'm not sure he started there when they first got him but that's where he finished the playoffs.

Woodhouse 07-24-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 (Post 69575743)
@StepnerWKBW: Coming up at 6 on Ch7 #Buffalo #Sabres Thomas Vanek:"You'd like to be on a team where you feel, going into camp, you're contending....(cont)

@StepnerWKBW: #Buffalo #Sabres Thomas Vanek cont. "Right now in Buffalo, we're rebuilding, which is not the best scenerio for me." More on Ch.7 @WKBW at 6

Nothing new, but yeaaaaaa

7.24 - KSTP-TV Minneapolis speaks with Thomas Vanek at the University of Minnesota. <3:22>

CriminallyVu1gar 07-24-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivet52 (Post 69580361)
No not at all. Regehr was really good for the Kings upon arriving in L.A. Kings fans are very happy with him and were pleased to see him re-signed. He was playing with Doughty on their top pairing. I'm not sure he started there when they first got him but that's where he finished the playoffs.

Pretty sure Battle of Cali was all over him, and rightfully so given his possession play. I think there was an article specifically about his playoff badness, I'll see if I can find it.

Zip15 07-24-2013 07:59 PM

He gone.

CriminallyVu1gar 07-24-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar (Post 69580653)
Pretty sure Battle of Cali was all over him, and rightfully so given his possession play. I think there was an article specifically about his playoff badness, I'll see if I can find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivet52 (Post 69580361)

My mistake, it was Jewels from the Crown with mostly negative reviews scattered across game recaps:

But if I were being granted wishes, I would first wish that the Kings never traded for Regehr in the first place and also for Willie Mitchell to have the healthiest knees in the world.

Robyn Regehr's numbers have been less impressive (although we should keep in mind that Regehr sees tougher minutes and 12 games is a small sample). His possession number is only 49% in his 12 games with the Kings, worst among defensemen on the team. Earlier in the season we argued that the Kings should look elsewhere at the deadline because of Regehr's tendency to be an anchor on teammate possession numbers. That has held true so far in his time here. Drew Doughty's possession number has been 49% 51.5% when paired with Regehr. When not paired with Regehr, Doughty's number is 10 7.5 percentage points better at 59%.

But has Regehr had a huge impact on team numbers? In his 12 games with the Kings their possession number has been 54%. In the twelve games prior to Regehr's arrival, they were at 55%. So if Regehr's presence has had a negative impact on team possession numbers, the impact seems to be a marginal one.

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...f-robyn-regehr

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...buffalo-sabres

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...n-regher-a-fit

Not as bad as I remember, but definitely not all roses.

Dubi Doo 07-24-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 69576291)

The team isn't rebuilding? Have you been under a rock the past two seasons?

It sounds like Vanek wants out. If that's the case we need to trade him soon. He's injury prone, and usually slows down as the season wears on. I want him to stay, but it seems like a lost cause at this point.