HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Penguins #3 prospect (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1475259)

Burgs 07-25-2013 09:48 AM

Penguins #3 prospect

Olli Määttä fin(n)ishes second in a landslide win. Added college forwards Archibald and Rust.

2013 poll results
#1 Derrick Pouliot (56.68%)
#2 Olli Määttä (84.17%)

wej20 07-25-2013 10:00 AM

Dumoulin or Harrington for me but decided I was in a Dumoulin kind of mood.

Darth Vitale 07-25-2013 10:02 AM

Going with Harztell. Our G situation is more critical than the 3rd or 4th best D on our prospect list, and he's closer to being ready than Jarry given his age. And he seems to have the pedigree for it.

You guys are too fixated on ranking our D prospects.

#1GuinFan 07-25-2013 10:02 AM

toss up between harrington and dumoulin.

and add guentzel - surprised hes not on that list already

BrunoPuntzJones 07-25-2013 10:06 AM

Dumoulin again for the same reasons.

I'd also like to suggest including guys Samuelsson, Archibald, Guentzel, etc. soon. I'm somewhat partial to Samuelsson. He made some nice strides in the AHL last year and I'd definitely vote for him above some of the guys who are still in junior or college.

wej20 07-25-2013 10:07 AM

yes, add Guentzel.

Randy Butternubs 07-25-2013 10:23 AM

Harrington.

Add Guentzel.

Ogrezilla 07-25-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 69595763)
Going with Harztell. Our G situation is more critical than the 3rd or 4th best D on our prospect list, and he's closer to being ready than Jarry given his age. And he seems to have the pedigree for it.

And our winger situation is more critical than our defense. Its not our fault that our 3rd or 4th best D prospects are better prospects than any of our forward or goalie prospects. Simply put, our D prospects are better than our G prospects.

Harrington.

Add Samuelsson

Tasty Biscuits 07-25-2013 10:31 AM

Archibald is already added, peeps.

Anyways, this one is a toss-up for me. Yesterday I mighta gone Harrington. Today I'm going with Dumo.

Agree to add Guentzel.

Le Magnifique 66 07-25-2013 10:35 AM

Harrington

Shady Machine 07-25-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

The fact that our goalie situation is more critical should have nothing to do with the prospect ranking. This isn't a list of most important prospects but best prospects. Our top 4 prospects are clearly defensemen.

Ragamuffin Gunner 07-25-2013 10:49 AM

3 - Harrington

4 - Dumo

5 - Hartz

Gwydyr 07-25-2013 11:00 AM

The top 4 prospects are too obvious (Pouliot, Maatta, Harrington, Dumoulin). Between 5 and 10 is where the magic really happens.

Ogrezilla 07-25-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner (Post 69597303)
3 - Harrington

4 - Dumo

5 - Hartz

that seems about right. Is Hartzell definitely above Jarry? I have no idea how to look at a goalie prospect.

Le Magnifique 66 07-25-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 69597647)
that seems about right. Is Hartzell definitely above Jarry? I have no idea how to look at a goalie prospect.

right now yes but it all depends on how we vote. If we vote for best prospect at the moment it's a yes if we vote for which prospects have the biggest potential than it's Jarry

Shady Machine 07-25-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 (Post 69597931)
right now yes but it all depends on how we vote. If we vote for best prospect at the moment it's a yes if we vote for which prospects have the biggest potential than it's Jarry

Currently a better goalie does not equal a better prospect.

Gwydyr 07-25-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shady Machine (Post 69598025)
Currently a better goalie does not equal a better prospect.

Yup. If that were the case, Dumoulin and Harrington would be tops on the list, simply because they're more proven and more NHL-ready. Though goalies seem to be more difficult to predict. In general, prospect lists are tough due to different voters having divergent values on readiness and potential.

Muscles4Malkin 07-25-2013 11:37 AM

Dumoulin just for the feeling. Harrington is next.

Ugene Malkin 07-25-2013 11:38 AM

Voted Harrington by mistake. *Dumoulin*

I hope Zlobin makes the top ten or just outside it. So much potential.

Beaudangles19 07-25-2013 11:53 AM

its pretty obvius that Harrington is gonna win.

DoctrSteveBrule 07-25-2013 12:03 PM

voted Jarry because I think he has #1 goalie potential. Harrington seems more like a 3/4 guy to me. Not diminishing Harrington's value. Being a good #3 defenseman is very good, I just think Jarry is the upside pick and this is, after all, a prospects poll.

Sjb141 07-25-2013 12:08 PM

wow, thought this would be close to 100%...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 07-25-2013 12:09 PM

Harrington. Kid's a rock.

#66 07-25-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

I almost want to agree but I think Harrington is just to good and has been on the radar a while. I usually go with the player with higher upside and I do think Hartzell's upside is very good but this time I'm going with Harringtons pedigree.

Scott Harrington

Skill

Harrington has a good shot. The thing that makes it better is that he knows how to jump into shooting lanes and play off of his partner.

Harrington has a sense for the flow of the game and knows how to break up plays and turn them around. He goes tape to tape well even at a distance and makes safe smart passes. He’s not overly creative but he does have a nice touch.

It’s hard to say but Harringtons a smooth skater with the slightest bit of a short stride. He is very mobile, has a little bit of a hitch when turning and skates well backwards.

Physical game

His games more about sense but he does get in the mix. His physical game reminds me of Scuds a little. He’s smart about boxing players out instead of bulldozing, rubs players out along the boards and is pretty tough to beat one on one. Even if he is beat one on one he finds a way to keep the player in bad ice. He will lay the lumber if pushed and stick up for his goalie.

Outlook

He’s one of those players that does everything well but isn’t flashy at all. He has skill to be a 2nd PP type because he’s effectively simple but it’s his defensive game, shot blocking and sense that makes him so good. I kind of see him being between a Scuderi and Regehr type. More like Scuds but he has the ability to break up plays and turn them around like Regehr. So while he might not pop up on score sheets he will be part of the offense 3 or 4 plays down the line. Not a star but a pretty important to his team.

Tasty Biscuits 07-25-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule (Post 69599857)
voted Jarry because I think he has #1 goalie potential. Harrington seems more like a 3/4 guy to me. Not diminishing Harrington's value. Being a good #3 defenseman is very good, I just think Jarry is the upside pick and this is, after all, a prospects poll.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd probably have him right after Dumoulin and Harrington, as I want to see how he fares as a starter for a full season first.