HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Small, left-handed wingers: who makes it and why? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1475703)

Naslund 07-25-2013 11:16 PM

Small, left-handed wingers: who makes it and why?

Tim Bozon
Arturi Lekhonen
Charles Hudon
Sven Andrighetto

It looks like that they will all be competing for one or two spots (on the second and/or third line) on the right side, in a few years. Who makes it and why?

Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty
Collberg-Eller-XXX
McCarron-De la Rose-XXX
Crisp-Vail-Bournival

overlords 07-25-2013 11:24 PM

Bozon is small now?

Chris Cutter 07-25-2013 11:52 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking overlords

overlords 07-25-2013 11:54 PM

I also can't figure out why that lineup has the left wingers on the right and vice versa...

Also, if we're listing our shorter, left wing prospects, why not reway?

on topic:

I haven't seen much of lehkonen, but I did catch a few games of his while I was watching Eller play for JYP (or however you call it) this year before the lockout. TBH, I didn't even know the player named lehkonen was draft eligible. That's how good he looked playing against men.

Lars Mon Amour 07-26-2013 12:06 AM

Why the **** since McCarron was drafted by the Habs, everybody puts him on the left but he plays as a RW...:laugh:

Wouldn't make sense to put him on the left, anyways.

25get 07-26-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 69623937)
Bozon is small now?

Hudon and Andrighetto are 5'10.
Lekhonen is 5'11".
Bozon is 6'1".

According to this board, everyone under 6'2" or under 200 lbs is small.

I guess we need size and skills are not important.

Myron Gaines* 07-26-2013 01:24 AM

Everything below 6'2 is manlet status, everyone knows that.

WeThreeKings 07-26-2013 05:37 AM

I'd like to add McCarron and Tinordi as small left wingers.

PricePkPatch 07-26-2013 06:53 AM

I don't know much in the means of technicality of hockey playing, so I am going to ask a very obvious and stupid question:

When you are left-handed, does it mean your "natural" side is supposed to be Left Wing or Right Wing? And why?

Question 2: Does it happen that some wingers are actually more natural on their inverted "natural" side? Like, a right-handed winger who is actually better on the side that left-handed wingers usually are?

Dagistitsyn 07-26-2013 07:04 AM

Well this thread is going no where since you added Bozon into the list of small players.

I really like Andrighetto though. I can see him and Hudon both making it. Which means people will still be complaining about midgets even after Gio Briere and possibly even DD (fingers crossed) are all gone.

Monctonscout 07-26-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 69623937)
Bozon is small now?

6'3"=big
6'2"=average
6'1"=<small

:laugh:

vokiel 07-26-2013 07:20 AM

Bozon isn't small & at 190lbs he doesn't qualify as smurf. Guess that means he won't make it :sarcasm:

Monctonscout 07-26-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 69631805)
I don't know much in the means of technicality of hockey playing, so I am going to ask a very obvious and stupid question:

When you are left-handed, does it mean your "natural" side is supposed to be Left Wing or Right Wing? And why?

Question 2: Does it happen that some wingers are actually more natural on their inverted "natural" side? Like, a right-handed winger who is actually better on the side that left-handed wingers usually are?

A lot of left handed people prefer the right side(me included). as there are a lot more LH shooting hockey players in the world, some have grown up accustomed to RW.

Usually RH shooting players are RW, a small few prefer LW as they are scorers and have a better shooting angle...Ovechkin has been one...

Ezpz 07-26-2013 07:52 AM

I'd like to see Lehkonen succeed but I don't see it happening. We could use a good undersized Finn.

Gustave 07-26-2013 07:58 AM

The fixation with size on this board is freaking me out. It's bordering on obsession. The interpretation of what constitutes "having size" is also puzzling. The line between big and "smurf" is way too thin.

Get it together.

Sorry for the rant.

Goldthorpe 07-26-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monctonscout (Post 69632083)
A lot of left handed people prefer the right side(me included). as there are a lot more LH shooting hockey players in the world, some have grown up accustomed to RW.

Interestingly enough, the LH/RH ratio is mainly based on nationality, and there are more LH players because there are more Canadian players, and Canadian tend to be more often LH and RH. I know it sounds crazy but I remember reading an analysis a few years ago showing that.

Habs88 07-26-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustave (Post 69632541)
The fixation with size on this board is freaking me out. It's bordering on obsession. The interpretation of what constitutes "having size" is also puzzling. The line between big and "smurf" is way too thin.

Get it together.

Sorry for the rant.

No need to be sorry your absolutely right the obsession on this board is bad

Ohashi_Jouzu 07-26-2013 08:28 AM

I project bigger things from Lehkonen and Andrighetto than Hudon, Bozon, Reway, etc (which is to say, I see more potential in them... pardon the pun). Why is Bozon in a "small" list, though?

bsl 07-26-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Playing on opposite side means taking a lot more passes on the backhand. Talent can overcome that though and you get nice shooting angles on the 'wrong' side. Just ask the Rocket.

MonkeyBusiness 07-26-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

1. Most of the years I've played hockey the left handed players were encouraged to play left wing and prefered to play there. Although some LH shots prefer to play right wing, it's all about the player. I for one, as a LH shot, prefer to be on the left wing because I think it's easier to play on the boards and get a shot off when receiving the pass. Especially for the slap shot because I don't have to adjust my feet.

2. Yes, some players feel more comfortable on their opposite side. Ovechkin played his whole career as a LW until this year.

Naoned 07-26-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vokiel (Post 69632047)
Bozon isn't small & at 190lbs he doesn't qualify as smurf. Guess that means he won't make it :sarcasm:

Plus he said he did not work out as much as the NA kid di, when he was playing in Europe. He'll bulk up.

PricePkPatch 07-26-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsl (Post 69633107)
Playing on opposite side means taking a lot more passes on the backhand. Talent can overcome that though and you get nice shooting angles on the 'wrong' side. Just ask the Rocket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 69633153)
1. Most of the years I've played hockey the left handed players were encouraged to play left wing and prefered to play there. Although some LH shots prefer to play right wing, it's all about the player. I for one, as a LH shot, prefer to be on the left wing because I think it's easier to play on the boards and get a shot off when receiving the pass. Especially for the slap shot because I don't have to adjust my feet.

2. Yes, some players feel more comfortable on their opposite side. Ovechkin played his whole career as a LW until this year.

U so nice people ^_^ Thank you so much

Myron Gaines* 07-26-2013 09:00 AM

I'd say that the obsession by the organization of adding manlets to this team is way more disturbing.

MonkeyBusiness 07-26-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad (Post 69633845)
I'd say that the obsession by the organization of adding manlets to this team is way more disturbing.

manmores**

Monctonscout 07-26-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad (Post 69633845)

What's a manlet and who is obsessed with them?