HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreger: Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1475923)

caley 07-26-2013 11:35 AM

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"
 
per Dreger
Quote:

Franson trade speculation will heat up. Leafs would like to keep him, but $$ is too much. Prospect and draft pick fair return?

Anth93 07-26-2013 11:35 AM

Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.

torontosports10 07-26-2013 11:37 AM

Well that all depends on how much money he wants.

desmond 07-26-2013 11:38 AM

Interesting.

CreeksideStrangler 07-26-2013 11:38 AM

He played well last season. Looking to fill other holes in the lineup atm. Clarkson and bozak signings are starting to handcuff us.

jmart21 07-26-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 69638549)
Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.

But let me guess, If he gives him more money than you think Franson deserves, he's an idiot.

Sacha Baron Corbin 07-26-2013 11:39 AM

Yikes, is that ridiculous Clarkson deal already coming back to haunt the Leafs? What happened to all the cap space?

Anth93 07-26-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmart21 (Post 69638711)
But let me guess, If he gives him more money than you think Franson deserves, he's an idiot.

No because paying Franson a million more than he deserves is a better option than having Clarkson and Bozak. In terms of hockey ability,

Franson

Clarkson




Bozak

ARSix 07-26-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmart21 (Post 69638711)
But let me guess, If he gives him more money than you think Franson deserves, he's an idiot.

Well, yeah. If he can't negotiate a fair deal with his players he's not doing a very good job. But really, he's an idiot because he's painted himself into a corner by failing to leave enough cap space to tie up remaining assets (potentially). We'll see how this plays out. I honestly think Kadri's going to come in cheaper than people expect him to, and they should be able to keep everyone (if they even WANT to).

StuckOutHere 07-26-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter (Post 69638717)
Yikes, is that ridiculous Clarkson deal already coming back to haunt the Leafs? What happened to all the cap space?

This guy was always going to be a tough sign. Things have never really meshed in terms of playing time/role until this season. Up until then he had plenty of reason to look upon his time with the team in a negative light.

Punch Drunk Loov 07-26-2013 11:41 AM

We should send Liles + Colbourne to someone to shed space. Franson > Colbourne

GordieHoweHatTrick 07-26-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 69638549)
Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.

It's a little premature for that, don't you think? Franson is good but he's not THAT good, or at least he hasn't shown it yet. I'm curious to see what his season would look like if he played consistent top-4 minutes: would he thrive or would he get exploited? He'd be a really good addition to any team looking to upgrade their PP though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckOutHere (Post 69638821)
This guy was always going to be a tough sign. Things have never really meshed in terms of playing time/role until this season. Up until then he had plenty of reason to look upon his time with the team in a negative light.

Absolutely. Dating back to his Nashville days he wanted more minutes. He thought he'd get them in Toronto but that hasn't been the case either (up until recently, at least). He wants the opportunity and he knows that if he got it there could be a real good chance he could qualify for a nice, fat contract but for some reason Nashville and Toronto haven't yet dedicated a top-4 spot for this defenseman. He played great in a sheltered role last season though.

Anth93 07-26-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedsToronto (Post 69638835)
We should send Liles + Colbourne to someone to shed space. Franson > Colbourne

Haha right because somebody's going to do us a favor and take Liles and his dreadful contract.

Realistically, Nonis ****ed up and everyone saw it coming. He thought he could low ball and play the tight cap space game... When you're signing your 6th and 7th best forwards to 4.5+ million dollar deals. You'll never sign your own.

BonMorrison 07-26-2013 11:45 AM

Well ****.

Anth93 07-26-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick (Post 69638859)
It's a little premature for that, don't you think? Franson is good but he's not THAT good, or at least he hasn't shown it yet. I'm curious to see what his season would look like if he played consistent top-4 minutes: would he thrive or would he get exploited? He'd be a really good addition to any team looking to upgrade their PP though!

Franson had the best first round playoff series of any Dman in the NHL. He was a top 10 scorer among D in the regular season. His minutes were on a constant rise every month of the season.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. SIGN CLARKSON/BOZAK INSTEAD.

getyourselfsomerest 07-26-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 69638765)
No because paying Franson a million more than he deserves is a better option than having Clarkson and Bozak. In terms of hockey ability,

Franson

Clarkson




Bozak

And in terms of playing their position (ie. Clarkson's ability to be a power forward, Bozak's ability to be a 1st line center, Franson's ability to play defense)

Clarkson



Bozak
Franson

Freudian 07-26-2013 11:46 AM

I don't think we should assume this is purely a cap squeeze issue. I think Nonis knows Franson punched above his weight class last year and isn't worth $4.5M/year or whatever he wants. Better to sell high.

It would leave Leafs short on right shot defenders should they trade him. It seemed Carlyle preferred LD-RD pairings, which was a main reason for Kostka playing as much as he did.

arsmaster* 07-26-2013 11:46 AM

Good grief, isn't anyone annoyed that Nonis continues to do his business through his cousin's twitter account?

uggh.

Lobstertainment 07-26-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 69638549)
Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.

this. a thousand times this.

Lobstertainment 07-26-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest (Post 69638961)
And in terms of playing their position (ie. Clarkson's ability to be a power forward, Bozak's ability to be a 1st line center, Franson's ability to play defense)

Clarkson



Bozak
Franson

This couldn't be more wrong.

Sacha Baron Corbin 07-26-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckOutHere (Post 69638821)
This guy was always going to be a tough sign. Things have never really meshed in terms of playing time/role until this season. Up until then he had plenty of reason to look upon his time with the team in a negative light.

Ahh I see now, how much is he asking for though? 29 points in 45 games is great for a defenseman, I wouldn't think the Leafs would want to lose that.

Chandrashekhar Limit 07-26-2013 11:49 AM

I like how people are bashing Nonis without knowing what Franson wants. If he wants more than 3-3.5 he can find another team.

Avec Fromage* 07-26-2013 11:49 AM

Fire Nonis.

GordieHoweHatTrick 07-26-2013 11:50 AM

Franson is realistically worth around 3M. You could argue he's even worth a little less. Gunnarsson got 3.15M and Franson is not worth more. One plays sheltered minutes and gets loads of PP and the other is assigned the task of shutting down the other teams best players, playing 20+ minutes a night. If Franson wants north of 3.5M then thats simply too much for him at this time. He could live up to that in the near future, though, for any potential suitor.

Franson may be better in the future but he's not worth more now.

Mikeyg 07-26-2013 11:50 AM

well since you guys arent thinking about this differently and you literally just take words for face value, I think this is a smart move by nonis. If franson wants to stay in toronto, this will play a small small part in bringing his contract demands down because nonis is essentially saying that "your demands are too high right now and we arent afraid to trade you" I think it will personally help the contract situation out a bit


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.