HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   QMJHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Cape Breton Screaming Eagles 2013-2014 Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1475969)

ZombieRegDunlop 07-26-2013 12:59 PM

*OFFICIAL* Cape Breton Screaming Eagles 2013-2014 Thread

Might as well get around to taking a stab at this. I won't make any point predictions this year, this team will be whatever it is. That said, things are looking much brighter. The lack of puck-movers on the blueline notwithstanding, the prospect pool is deeper and the bad news seems to have subsided. That includes Nicholas Roy.....we'll recoup some assets and life goes on.

I won't see any games this year. Now living and working in Calgary, and my vacation time is booked for Peru. But I'll be following the team closely, and here's a preliminary stab at the lineup:

In goal:

Alex Bureau (17) Maxime Lagace (20)

While it seemed odd that Dumont added a 20 year old goalie who in a best-cased scenario is the back-up, it just places more of a spotlight on the investment in Bureau. I suppose the idea is to start giving Bureau a little bit more of the leash as the season goes, which actually started a bit at the end of last season. The idea being Legace is there as a reliable veteran if and when he falters. Cape Breton has a history of young goalies taking the starters job and running with it. Everyone has their fingers crossed that it will be sooner than later with Bureau. No surprises in nets for the Eagles.....this is the tandem.

On D:

Justin Hache (19) Stephen Woodworth (20)
Loic Leduc (19) Gareth Nicholson (18)
Jason Bell (16) Brendan Nickerson (17)
Stephen Midensky (19)

The blueline will probably be fluid all year long. Hache, Woodworth, Leduc and Nicholson are locks. The investment we made with next years 1st rounder makes Bell as close to a sure thing as a 16 year can be. I have Midensky penciled in as the number 7D, but that isn't anything close to a lock. He's there because I'd personally keep him over Walsh and Hartley, but ideally you don't want a 1994 in that roster spot. It doesn't look like Louis-Phillipe Page is coming to camp, and we could land a 1996 or 1997 D in a Nicholas Roy trade. If Bradley Lalonde makes an impression it could be his spot. There could always be some surprises....Dumont is bringing in two Toronto kids, Matthew Nosella and Matthew Donnelly, and he knows them better than us. I've seen comments on Donnelly filling the role of enforcer, but if we designate one it really shouldn't be someone who plays D. I'd give him a look as a 4th line winger. If they can play a bit, all the better.

Up front:

William Carrier (19) Kyle Farrell (19) Charles-Eric Legare (19)
Michael Clarke (20) Bronson Beaton (18) Raphael Corriveau (19)
Maxim Lazarev (17) Clark Bishop (17) Michael Lyle (18)
Timothe Simard (17) Zach Moody (17) Nick Marois (17)
Julien Pelletier (17) Danick Gaudreau (17) Nicholas Dozzi (18)

So many variables with a team in transition like this, including sitting on a 1st overall pick who won't play for us. Once the tree gets shaken after Christmas things will look quite a bit different. Carrier will be gone, with Corriveau another strong possibility. Farrell and Legare have value, if Kyle can stay healthy and Legare scores at the same clip he did (34 goals over a full-season). I'd like to see Legare stay as a 20 next year if he brings those hands back for a 2nd season with us. I think Bishop and Lazarev together is a bit of a no-brainer, and I hope nobody gets their panties in a bunch that this preview has them on the 3rd line. They'll be top 6 guys, sooner than later. Maybe on opening night. Dumont made some good moves thinning the herd with Cole Murphy, Sebastien Lemieux and Zach Beaton shipping out. I liked Murphy's work ethic, but time will tell if he can develop a set of hands at the Q level. I added Nicholas Dozzi into the mix based on Dumont's comments to the Cape Breton Post, but what he brings will be determined in camp. His Tier 2 numbers aren't exciting. I won't even speculate on any American players coming this season. As for the overager spot up front, I keep Clarke over Milson strictly for offense, but Dumont may like the grit that Milson brings to such a young line-up.

My guess would be middle of the pack, with some growing pains in the 2nd half. We'll get some nice pieces with Carrier, Haches and Roy on the move. If we can get a 95/96 who can man the PP, things will really start to take shape for 2014-15 and 2015-16. We could be a real contender by 2015.

Trevor3 07-26-2013 01:11 PM

I haven't been able to see any Eagles game in quite a few years since I've been living in Newfoundland, but I went to a lot of games early on in the team's existence up to 2001 when I left Sydney. Since then I've been following the team regularly and the past few years have been miserable, especially with the number of Halifax Mooseheads fans around here. There are a few of us who are fans of the Eagles, but we are few and far between!

That said, I am moving to Fredericton in the next couple of months and, hopefully, I can get down to Saint John or Moncton for a game every now and again. They definitely seem to have turned a corner, and Dumont is a HUGE reason for that. I'm very excited to see what return he gets on Nicholas Roy, which could really set this team up for a run in 2015 if their current prospect pool can develop into legitimate Q players.

DaveyCaper 08-02-2013 08:34 AM

The training camp attendee list is out but I have not been abel to get my hands on it yet. As stated in the Nicolas Roy thread, it is no surprise he is not on the list.

jboyz 08-06-2013 11:42 AM

BREAKING NEWS: The Cape Breton Screaming Eagles announced that 19-year-old american forward Cameron Darcy has committed to the club. #qmjhl as per Jeremey fraser. Huge Bonus!

IHaveNoCreativity 08-06-2013 01:28 PM

Where did he play last year ?

HFX902 08-06-2013 01:38 PM

Sticky-ed

DaveyCaper 08-06-2013 01:41 PM

From the CB Screaming Eagles official release:

Darcy spent the majority of last season with the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the United States Hockey League but also played 9 games with Northeastern in NCAA. In 45 games played for the Lumberjacks, he had 12 goals and 19 assists.

IHaveNoCreativity 08-06-2013 03:30 PM

Sounds like he will help a bit.

Who are the euros this year ?

welcometothebigshow2 08-06-2013 03:39 PM

I guess I was right when I said it back in June!

theqprofessor 08-07-2013 05:31 PM

The Eagles are shaping up to be a mid pack team, I believe there will be a few more deals when the trade Window opens

IHaveNoCreativity 08-07-2013 05:56 PM

A young mid pack team.

theqprofessor 08-07-2013 07:03 PM

That's the bonus, we suffered for the last 3 seasons and by 2014-15 season we should be back to our 40 win seasons

HFX902 08-09-2013 01:20 PM

Brendan Nickerson (17) whos this guy?

ZombieRegDunlop 08-09-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFX902 (Post 70062393)
Brendan Nickerson (17) whos this guy?

Nova Scotian.....we flipped Cole Murphy to Sherbrooke for him.

HFX902 08-09-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieRegDunlop (Post 70063319)
Nova Scotian.....we flipped Cole Murphy to Sherbrooke for him.

This is the guy that played for Yarmouth Junior A? and played for Canada in the junior Olympics

tez 08-13-2013 02:02 PM

Anyone have any predictions of where Darcy will fit in the lineup?

If we can get a solid defenseman in the package for Roy, we could be in good shape.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 08-18-2013 02:03 PM

I heard Jeremy Beaudry is headed to CB in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 08-18-2013 07:27 PM

Via Mikael Lalancette...

Moody to Quebec in exchange for F Jamie MacIntyre and a 5th round pick.

Props to Quebec. Moody is a good young player. May not be the most skilled guy but he's a great skater that works hard and finishes checks. Plus MacIntyre was cut yesterday..

IHaveNoCreativity 08-21-2013 11:20 AM

Odd move.

PorkChopSandwiches 08-21-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFX902 (Post 70063549)
This is the guy that played for Yarmouth Junior A? and played for Canada in the junior Olympics

Yes and he's been cut

HFX902 08-21-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey2hockey (Post 70397865)
Yes and he's been released

hes been cut?

PorkChopSandwiches 08-21-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFX902 (Post 70397927)
hes been cut?

Yes sorry, cut, not 'released'

tez 08-22-2013 07:05 PM

Memories of Jonathan Brunelle and Alexandre Lavoie now with the recent trades :laugh: That seems like a weird trade, though. Marois wasn't great but he was capable of playing in the Q, I'm not sure Brunelle is. Hopefully Etienne Lavoie can impress.

Has anyone heard anything on Lazarev getting his visa to come over?

WildcatMapleLeafs28 08-22-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rysmo (Post 70436887)
Memories of Jonathan Brunelle and Alexandre Lavoie now with the recent trades :laugh: That seems like a weird trade, though. Marois wasn't great but he was capable of playing in the Q, I'm not sure Brunelle is. Hopefully Etienne Lavoie can impress.

Has anyone heard anything on Lazarev getting his visa to come over?

I'm not sure about Lazarev specifically but Zykov got his visa on Tuesday and Barbashev is expected in Moncton next week. Hopefully everything is getting back to normal..

3 Minute Minor 08-22-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 (Post 70437899)
I'm not sure about Lazarev specifically but Zykov got his visa on Tuesday and Barbashev is expected in Moncton next week. Hopefully everything is getting back to normal..

Kind of bad on CB's part, last year they had Veliky in camp from day 1 :laugh: I know Lazarev was obviously off doing bigger and better things at the Ivan Hlinka but you think they would have straightened this out before training camp