HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Stl-pit (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1477655)

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 08:49 AM

Stl-pit

Malkin
Niskanen

for

AP
Berglund

Who says no?

Let me have it :)

ds246pit 07-30-2013 08:53 AM

Pens fan says no. There isn't a defenseman worth trading Malkin for at this point, given the $ we already have tied in our top 4 dmen (Letang/Martin/Orpik/Scuderi).

goldy2266 07-30-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Palm Isle (Post 69756211)
Malkin
Niskanen

for

AP
Berglund

Who says no?

Let me have it :)

This won't end well..... I wouldn't trade Malkin straight up for AP and Berglund..... sorry but we have a TONE of D in the pipe line.... none will be AP quality but not at the cost of Malkin!

WillyBilly1990 07-30-2013 08:56 AM

Both teams say no

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 09:05 AM

Malkin is less valuable to PIT than he would be to virtually any other team in hockey. Frankly, they don't need him.

AP would transform the team. Swapping Malkin for Berglund would be manageable.

If I was a PIT fan, I'd worry about him as a potential flight risk too.

And that contract's not pretty.

Bmessy 07-30-2013 09:08 AM

Malkin for S Weber?

WNY to NoVA 07-30-2013 09:11 AM

have fun being featured on puckdaddy on monday!

Saving Greiss 07-30-2013 09:11 AM

Nope.

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 09:11 AM

Makes some hockey sense, but seems crazy to think of NSH swapping out of that front-ended nightmare Weber deal and into a contract like EM's.

ds246pit 07-30-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Palm Isle (Post 69756463)
Malkin is less valuable to PIT than he would be to virtually any other team in hockey. Frankly, they don't need him.

AP would transform the team. Swapping Malkin for Berglund would be manageable.

If I was a PIT fan, I'd worry about him as a potential flight risk too.

And that contract's not pretty.

If there is any year the Penguins need Malkin, it is this year. Their bottom 6th depth is as questionable as it has been in years. It is possible they get little to no scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines. That leaves essentially Crosby and Neal to score goals if you move Malkin and Neal just does not produce at the same level unless he is with Malkin. The Pens absolutly NEED Malkin. The don't need to add AP and then drop a guy like Orpik making +4 mil as a #5 dman.

I will say i do not know much about Berglund but he seems like he is about 4th or 5th on the forward depth chart for St. Louis after Backes, Oshie, Tarashenko and co. so i can't see him being a legit replacement for Malkin (and most likely Neals) offensive production.

TheEdge27 07-30-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmessy (Post 69756525)
Malkin for S Weber?

No. I hate Jokinen or Sutter as our 2C. I think its safe to say that Malkin wont be traded in a 1for1 swap.

Sour Shoes 07-30-2013 09:14 AM

malkin is untouchable. we don't want to share our embarrassment of riches at the center position.

StuckOutHere 07-30-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmessy (Post 69756525)
Malkin for S Weber?

I mean. I'd like to hear some debate around this? Too huge to happen, but seems reasonable value-wise right?

StuckOutHere 07-30-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEdge27 (Post 69756615)
No. I hate Jokinen or Sutter as our 2C. I think its safe to say that Malkin wont be traded in a 1for1 swap.

Beau Bennett was just converted to W was he not? He could be 2C.

jarmoismyhero 07-30-2013 09:17 AM

Would obviously do this from the Blues POV...Something around AP, Berglund, and Rattie...I can see why Pens say no but I think it would be something I would consider if I were in the Pens position

SuburbanRhythm 07-30-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ds246pit (Post 69756283)
Pens fan says no. There isn't a defenseman worth trading Malkin for at this point, given the $ we already have tied in our top 4 dmen (Letang/Martin/Orpik/Scuderi).

+ eleventy billion

No matter your opinion on the values of the players involved, adding AP, who is a fantastic player, pushes a player making $3.5m+ to the 3rd pairing for Pittsburgh. It's just not smart use of assets or cap space when the team is thin at forward.

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 09:20 AM

I think Berglund/AP makes more sense, both hockey-wise and speaking practically.

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm (Post 69756751)
+ eleventy billion

No matter your opinion on the values of the players involved, adding AP, who is a fantastic player, pushes a player making $3.5m+ to the 3rd pairing for Pittsburgh. It's just not smart use of assets or cap space when the team is thin at forward.

Work with me here guys. Surely the unloading or buying out of an Orpik, Fleury, even a Martin wouldn't be the only impediment to making a deal of this magnitude.

It sounds to me the real issue is that Pens fans are too deeply in love with 71. Understandable. But I bet you guys regret it as the years go by and two-way teams like Chicago, LA and Boston keep grinding out cups.

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 09:25 AM

I'd be interested to hear the counterpoint to the idea that Malkin would be more valuable as a clear 1c elsewhere than he is in Pittsburgh.

ds246pit 07-30-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Palm Isle (Post 69756899)
I'd be interested to hear the counterpoint to the idea that Malkin would be more valuable as a clear 1c elsewhere than he is in Pittsburgh.

I'm not arging that, he'd be a true #1 center elsewhere. I'd argue that he is just as valuable, given the system DB runs and the currently constructed team, as Pittsburgh's "#2" center as he would be as anyone else's #1.

Also i love Weber but can you imagine trying to create any type of decent forward group if you have over 7+ mil tied up in both Weber and Letang, then 5 Million in Martin and another 4ish in Scuderi?

SuburbanRhythm 07-30-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Palm Isle (Post 69756853)
Work with me here guys. Surely the unloading or buying out of an Orpik, Fleury, even a Martin wouldn't be the only impediment to making a deal of this magnitude.
It sounds to me the real issue is that Pens fans are too deeply in love with 71. Understandable. But I bet you guys regret it as the years go by and two-way teams like Chicago, LA and Boston keep grinding out cups.

But it doesn't make sense.

Is the upgrade defensively from AP to, say, Orpik, worth the downgrade at center from Malkin to Berglund?

No, it's not. It might be an incremental improvement defensively, but weakens the Penguins up front, where they are already thin.

The Palm Isle 07-30-2013 09:34 AM

Seems to me there's some fat there with Martin, Fleury and obviously Orpik after this year.

I mean I know PM bounced back after that brutal 2011, but still - surely he could be replaced with a cheaper piece if there was someone of AP's calibre brought in above him.

Ogelthorpe 07-30-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckOutHere (Post 69756681)
Beau Bennett was just converted to W was he not? He could be 2C.

No. Bennett was a right wing his whole life but moved to left last year to play with Malkin and Neal.

SuburbanRhythm 07-30-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Palm Isle (Post 69757103)
Seems to me there's some fat there with Martin, Fleury and obviously Orpik after this year.

I mean I know PM bounced back after that brutal 2011, but still - surely he could be replaced with a cheaper piece if there was someone of AP's calibre brought in above him.

If the idea is to replace Martin with a cheaper piece in the top 4 (Despres), why is Pittsburgh adding Pietrangelo, bumping Despres back to the bottom pair?

Any trade that involves a secondary move to buyout/dump a player who still has value to the team...probably is a good trade.

OGBobbyFarnham 07-30-2013 09:38 AM

Add in Glass and you have a deal, sir.