HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   LeClair (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=147797)

MojoJojo 06-22-2005 11:20 AM

LeClair

If he wants to restructure his contract, how much would it be worth to keep him?

If LeClair is bought out, thats it, his career is probably over. He wont move his family to another city for peanuts. A shame, because he isnt a bad player and probably has a few years left in the can, he's just not an elite player any more. Basically LeClair's choice is retire with the 2/3 buy out cash, or restructure throwing away about 5 mil or so but still play hockey.

I figure his worth as a free agent is somewhere between .5 and 1 mil dollars.

Thoughts?

Dr Love 06-22-2005 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
If he wants to restructure his contract, how much would it be worth to keep him?

$7.00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I figure his worth as a free agent is somewhere between .5 and 1 mil dollars.

Agreed. He'll get some goals and probably play like the old LeClair for a dozen games, that's worth somewhere between half and a million.

MojoJojo 06-22-2005 12:04 PM

You realize that he scored 23 goals and 55 points in in 75 games his last season, and had 25 goals or so the season before that. Not elite by any means, but still a player that can score more than the vast majority of the rest of the league even in an off year. Puts him in the top fifty in fact, for both points and goals.

VaFlyer 06-22-2005 12:09 PM

Some team will need a veteran player who can score until a drafted player is ready, and Leclair will play somewhere.

Jester 06-22-2005 12:27 PM

if he will renegotiate to like 2M or something, maybe a little bit less, i would keep him.

Pantokrator 06-22-2005 12:57 PM

Yeah, if he can get 20 goals, thats not too bad. How is his defensive play? How would he look on the 3rd line?

MojoJojo 06-22-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Yeah, if he can get 20 goals, thats not too bad. How is his defensive play? How would he look on the 3rd line?

Well, heres the problem. His defense is not stellar. He's not irresponsible, but he just isnt the kind of guy who will stay on his opponent like a shadow. He cant be considered a shut down guy and cant really handle time on top two lines anymore due to age. So we are looking at putting him on the fourth line for ten minutes a night, which greatly diminishes his value.

RJ8812 06-22-2005 03:45 PM

no, LeClair is done in philly, rescructured contract or not, time to bring in some young talent

RoDu 06-22-2005 04:01 PM

How many goals did he get in the last few years playoffs?

IronMarshal 06-22-2005 04:44 PM

I love Big John (as a player - wise guy ;) ). But, this lockout killed a lot of veterans whose (I think) egos were too big to amit it. Johnny is two years older and coming off a year of inactivity. His career is in real jeopardy. And, that is a shame, because he is one of the good guys.

FlyersFan10* 06-22-2005 06:28 PM

Let's also not forget that he had his back operated on yet again this past lockout. My name that I use on here is a dedication to Leclair and I'm probably one of his biggest fans. However, it's time for John to step away from the game. His back is done and when you consider his big time claim was being able to score a ton of goals and put up with a ton of abuse, well, we all know that he can't take that kind of pounding anymore.

I say he retires, takes a big chunk of that money and is offered a position within the organization. If he were only a little meaner, he'd probably still be playing.

Roger's Pancreas* 06-22-2005 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Let's also not forget that he had his back operated on yet again this past lockout. My name that I use on here is a dedication to Leclair and I'm probably one of his biggest fans. However, it's time for John to step away from the game. His back is done and when you consider his big time claim was being able to score a ton of goals and put up with a ton of abuse, well, we all know that he can't take that kind of pounding anymore.

The nature of this operation was completely different than his previous one. This one was to strengthen his back (I don't know exactly how) and if it works out then he very well could score thirty goals again. If it gets f'd up though then he'll sit out the rest of the year and end up retiring after trying to battle back much like Hacket did.

When this new cba takes shape it'll come down to, can we get a legitimate second line winger who doesn't disappear in the playoffs for under three million. I honestly wouldn't be suprised to see him finish his career in black and orange. Amonte and Burke on the other hand will probably be traded off for a LOW pick 'cause they're only taking up space.

mercury 06-23-2005 02:16 AM

Aren't we off the hook for Burke? I thought he was only signed through the locked-out season.

Cuiff 06-23-2005 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
no, LeClair is done in philly, rescructured contract or not, time to bring in some young talent

:clap:

RJ8812 06-23-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury
Aren't we off the hook for Burke? I thought he was only signed through the locked-out season.

yes, Burke = UFA July 1st

FlyersProspect2 06-23-2005 09:35 PM

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while.

LeClair is one of my favorite players on the roster, but he can't play here for what he is making. If he is healthly, he would be worth a roster spot somewhere with some team. I'd much rather get these youngers guy into the mix and go through the growing pains even if it means missing the playoffs. Are best chance was probably the last season that was played so dumping the older guys and building around Carter, Richards, and Pitkanen is the best thing to do. Like said, LeClair still has some worth, but probably not to this team.

BTW, without Hockey I started to like basketball. This is getting serious guys :help:

Rails 06-23-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while.

LeClair is one of my favorite players on the roster, but he can't play here for what he is making. If he is healthly, he would be worth a roster spot somewhere with some team. I'd much rather get these youngers guy into the mix and go through the growing pains even if it means missing the playoffs. Are best chance was probably the last season that was played so dumping the older guys and building around Carter, Richards, and Pitkanen is the best thing to do. Like said, LeClair still has some worth, but probably not to this team.

BTW, without Hockey I started to like basketball. This is getting serious guys :help:

Yeah, I am actually watching Game 7.....

mercury 06-23-2005 10:17 PM

Me three.

Toonces 06-24-2005 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
How many goals did he get in the last few years playoffs?

Not enough :banghead:

Alough I'll admit that I'm one of his biggest detractors, so I'm biased.

Gotta ask yourself, can we get another player to play the same role who is younger, healthier, and more consistant, for the same amount or less?

Absolutely.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-24-2005 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10

I say he retires, takes a big chunk of that money and is offered a position within the organization. If he were only a little meaner, he'd probably still be playing.

Well said, he was a terror in front for us. TBS, I'd love to see one more year at a reduced price in a diminished role. Maybe less playing time in the regular season would = a healthy and spunkier playoff Leclair...just optomism though, I agree that he's probably done with us. Pretty sure he'll entertain offers if we buy him out, I wouldn't bet the farm on him retiring yet though.
:)