HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Your pre-game rituals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1478139)

NateTheGr8 07-31-2013 12:36 AM

Your pre-game rituals

From minor hockey to the NHL. Players have rituals that they grew up with or were taught and carried on from their elders and role models. You type in "NHL player rituals" on google and you'll probably get a few interviews with players explaining their pre game and post game rituals.

In the play offs this year for example , I remember the broadcasters talking about how the Red Wings have a ritual in which Kronwall(Orginially Lidstrom but wanted to keep with a swedish dman after his retirement) slaps one puck at Howard right before the game. When Howard was asked about it, he just said that him and lidstrom used to do it so he decided to continue it.

I have a few minor rituals and some other rituals. An example of a small one would have to be writing the jersey number of my friend that passed away on the handle tape job. Another one is that I wear my friends old cross necklace that was left to me during every game. He used to say a small prayer before the game while we were all warming up.

I've seen alot of players that go out on the ice way before games And stickhandles.

What's yours?

Fanned On It 07-31-2013 05:31 AM

I just like to warm-up with some stick-handling and shooting. I can usually tell what kind of game it's gonna be from that point.

Thesensation19 07-31-2013 07:43 AM

There is no doubt that the game as a whole is 10x more fun with your own proper ritual carried out pre-game.

My perfect pre-game ritual usually consists of:
1) 20-45 minute static stretching: at least 4 hours before game time
2) Eat a small snack of either steel-cut plain Oatmeal with added natural cinnamon and honey OR a Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwhich: About 2 hours before game time
3) Arrive at the locker room and get into my under gear (my compression jock strap, my undershirt, my socks) and do a warm up of jumps, kicks, twists and other dynamic stretches. try to break a small sweat and raise heart rate.
4) Tape my stick (anyway I feel like it at the time), Make sure my blades are good to go, tighten my helmet so its good fit for my head and start getting ready.

I put on my equipment pretty much 95% the same way every time. Just comfortable.

Pretty boring but thats pretty much it.

When I hop on the ice I try to do 2 laps of simple skating in both directions without puck. Get to the boards and try to do a few side to side movements to grind up my skates and feel for the ice.
I then get a puck and try to do some turns and long strides and quick bursts.
I then do some shooting. stationary and dynamic from all sides.

Ill do a quick stretch if I need to and get ready to go. Fierce

JBauerly97 08-02-2013 08:10 AM

When I was younger and played roller, my pre-game ritual was poop at the rink. Didn't matter what time we played or what I ate that day, I had to go when we got there lol.

The only other consistent thing I do is always put my left skate on first and take it off last.

Ozz 08-02-2013 12:08 PM

Drink a lot of water, pee a few times in the 60-80 minutes leading up to the game. That's my only absolute constant.

Geo73 08-02-2013 06:25 PM

2hrs before hitting the ice, Starbucks grande Americano, extra shot with room. Tape sticks beside the ice, then get a laugh with the boys while getting ready. Time to focus, time to relax. Hit the ice running after that.

SpringfieldSkins 08-02-2013 07:43 PM

I try not to get into any pre game rituals. I feel that I'm putting too much pressure on myself if I do.

That said, there are a few things I do out of habit.

1. I drink about half a liter or water on my drive to the rink. Need to stay properly hydrated.

2. Try not to drink too much alcohol (preferably none) the night before a game.

3. Eat pasta or some fruit about 4-5 hours before a game. If it's pasta, the only sauce I use consists of olive oil and vinegar. I don't like to eat more than 4 hours before a game because I've found that I can get acid reflux or heartburn during a game if I eat too soon before it.

4. Get to a game no more than 15 minutes before it starts. I find that sitting around in the locker room waiting for a game really kills my groove. I'm there to play a sport, not relax.

I've played some of my best games with little or no warm up time. I don't know why. If I have no time to stretch or take practice shots I seem to play better. Go figure.

SkateThroughIt 08-02-2013 08:41 PM

I find if I relax I play better, in warm-ups I will pull a few moves and see what I'm feeling. Shots at an open net. I will not shoot at the goalie unless we are short guys. That's the only thing I don't do that's weird.

Vip 08-03-2013 02:57 AM

Joke around and stay loose, don't think much about hockey at all. If I get too serious I end up psyching myself out and playing horrible.

blackwater 08-03-2013 05:02 AM

when i played junior hockey,i'd get to the rink 2 hours before the game, tape my sticks, get my skates sharpened, put my equipment on the same way every time, and for some reason i had some weird compulsion to make sure the visor on my helmet was on proper so i'd take the visor right off and put right back on making sure the screws were properly tightened. i used to get chirped about that constantly by the rest of the team, but it became such a habit that i had to do it before each game.

now, i get to the rink 30 min before a game, get halfway dressed and crush a couple of beer before the game, and i don't wear a visor anymore. that's about it. funny how things change when you get old.

MrFunnyWobbl 08-03-2013 06:26 AM

I don't really have any rituals. I get dressed, warm up and play.

They don't affect your performance. If they seem to be, it's you playing head games with yourself.

Primrose Everdeen 08-03-2013 02:41 PM

Does alcohol count?

Cotton McKnight 08-03-2013 06:05 PM

I used to take a nap along the wall in the locker room before I tended net. Really left my mind blank and ready to focus.