HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I'mma call BS on The RR Agenda... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1478323)

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 11:48 AM

I'mma call BS on The RR Agenda...

Just listening to Ralphie's shew on 1290 and he's got another guy on there solemnly informing us that we're paying a core that just isn't "top talent" on other NHL teams. What am I missing here? Did LLW not produce reasonable first line numbers last year on a team that was essentially a one line show? I mean every other team could pretty much focus their defensive might on our one decent line and yet those three guys still managed to produce. Ladd and Wheeler were top 30 scoring. And Kane managed to produce on a line basically all by himself. Are these guys playing in some alternate universe where they don't actually face other NHL talent night in night out? I mean sure, obviously they wouldn't be the top line on Pittsburg or Chicago but cripes, there's a couple dozen teams in the NHL who don't have a line-up full of Crosby's and Malkins...and none of our guys are being signed to contracts like those guys anyway. WTH? :shakehead

sully1410 07-31-2013 11:50 AM

Sometimes I wonder if these guys actually know what they're talking about.

truck 07-31-2013 11:55 AM

I am going to call BS on the idea that RR has an agenda.

I appreciate that he hosted an few opinions that stand out from the regular TNSE line towing that we've heard - from every local media outlet - over the last few years.

I say that despite agreeing that LLW are not the problem and some of these guys are idiots.

Shakey Rustie 07-31-2013 11:57 AM

I don't listen to the radio very often, but is it a call in show? Ralph could just be doing it to get the listeners involved and call in to debate that view. Just a thought.

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 11:58 AM

Yeah, the thread title is more of an attention grabber than a serious accusation. :). It does strike me as odd that RR seems to be really hard on this angle ever since the contracts all got settled though...

cbcwpg 07-31-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensibleGuy (Post 69799369)
Just listening to Ralphie's shew on 1290 and he's got another guy on there solemnly informing us that we're paying a core that just isn't "top talent" on other NHL teams.

Dumb statement to make.....Of course they aren't "top talent" on SOME other teams, but they would be up there on at least half of them IMO.

And besides, I want a team that is the sum of all parts and not just one line. If this core can be combined with some other parts to produce a winning team, I don't care if the Jets have any top players in the NHL. Look at the teams that do have the best individual talent in the NHL and see how many times they are winning it all. Its a team sport for a reason.

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 12:04 PM

He's on it again right now with yet another " pundit."

wpgsilver 07-31-2013 12:29 PM

I grew tired of Ricks shtick pretty quickly.
The sports media in Winnipeg is pretty weak.

pucka lucka 07-31-2013 12:51 PM

Why these sports show try to mimic the inane banter of a bunch of underemployed men in your corner sports bar is beyond me.

bazaaa* 07-31-2013 01:07 PM

I think it's a fair point to make.
You guys just want the team to win so bad that you're narrow minded.
The facts are, we locked up a core group of guys that couldn't make the playoffs last year. With that core, we are 10th in payroll (things will change, but right now that's where we are). Spin it any way you want, it's the truth. Ladd either came into his own last year, or played over his head. He had four less points last season, then the previous season where he played 30+ more games. Little is not a first like Center. Our defense was one of the worst in the league.

Yes, potential, they're young, injuries, etc etc, I'm just playing devil's advocate as a non Jets homer.

VictoriaJetsFan 07-31-2013 01:19 PM

If the Jets had not signed these guys to ling term deals and everyone wanted to go to free agency, people would be screaming blue murder. Criticizing these deals is just nitpicking negativity to the extreme.

As for the talent level of the core itself, its pretty high. It is also very young. Will this core win the Stanley Cup without any help? no, but every team needs depth and we just don't have it yet. We were right on the brink of making the playoffs, the natural growth of a young group should push us into the playoff mix.

It's a mattter of when, not if.

PaperRockChamp 07-31-2013 01:23 PM

We don't need a new thread for this. There are a lot of doubters. There are a lot of believers. Nobody will know how these signings look until 2016. Imagine if Chevy let these RFAs walk in the next 1-2 years instead of locking them up.

Reed Solomon 07-31-2013 01:24 PM

RR's only agenda is to fill airspace. Which I think he does a marvelous job at considering.

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 01:30 PM

So Little isn't a real first line centre? Ok fine. Is his cap hit of 4.7m out of line for a good 2nd line C?

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRockChamp (Post 69802801)
We don't need a new thread for this.]

Oh sorry. I'll be sure to check with you first next time.

:sarcasm:

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed Solomon (Post 69802851)
RR's only agenda is to fill airspace. Which I think he does a marvelous job at considering.

Well, "marvelous" is debatable...

truck 07-31-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensibleGuy (Post 69803115)
So little isn't a real first line centre? Ok fine. Is his cap hit of 4.7m out of line for a good 2nd line C?

Nope.

SensibleGuy 07-31-2013 01:41 PM

Doesn't seem like it to me...not for a recent contract.

GrandChelems 07-31-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed Solomon (Post 69802851)

Agreed.

Most of these guys on the TV and radio have little or no more perspective than your average local fan. They just get paid to do it because they are trained to do it in a radio or TV friendly format. One thing they're trained in is eliciting interest, good or bad.

I, for one, don't have much time for the pseudo-intellectual tripe they spill out day after day on the radio, as if sports is so serious and they're commentary on it so important.

Takes the fun out it.

:)

King Woodballs 07-31-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazaaa (Post 69802199)
I think it's a fair point to make.
You guys just want the team to win so bad that you're narrow minded.
The facts are, we locked up a core group of guys that couldn't make the playoffs last year. With that core, we are 10th in payroll (things will change, but right now that's where we are). Spin it any way you want, it's the truth. Ladd either came into his own last year, or played over his head. He had four less points last season, then the previous season where he played 30+ more games. Little is not a first like Center. Our defense was one of the worst in the league.

Yes, potential, they're young, injuries, etc etc, I'm just playing devil's advocate as a non Jets homer.

sigh

there is more to making the playoffs then 5 or even 6 core players

You need a supporting cast, which wasnt there, and some could even argue that still isnt.

As for one of the worst defences in the league.... be prepared to get burnt alive....

Grind 07-31-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck (Post 69803383)
Yep.

really? I didn't think it was...

going through capgeek i most teams are either

A)carrying two centers north of 5 mil
B) have a center on an ELC in the 2c spot
C) Have subpar secondline centers

I really don't think Little's contract is far out of line. It's right in the wheelhouse for 2c's that can pull spot duty on the top line.

truck 07-31-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 69804143)
really? I didn't think it was...

going through capgeek i most teams are either

A)carrying two centers north of 5 mil
B) have a center on an ELC in the 2c spot
C) Have subpar secondline centers

I really don't think Little's contract is far out of line. It's right in the wheelhouse for 2c's that can pull spot duty on the top line.

Oops. I misread.

It is fine for a #2C.

garret9 07-31-2013 02:02 PM

Too lazy to say anything to some of the people in this thread so I'll just say look at this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain (Post 69803905)
sigh

You need a supporting cast, which wasnt there, and some could even argue that still isnt.

As for one of the worst defences in the league.... be prepared to get burnt alive....

Yup.

BigTuna49 07-31-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

sigh

Thank you for saving my breath on that post. :cheers: :laugh:

arby18 07-31-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

sigh

Holy moly. I agreed with a post of yours! :yo::yo:

Well said. And I'd be willing to argue that the supporting cast still isn't here, though it appears to be inching closer.