HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Idea.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14785)

thome_26 09-27-2003 11:31 AM

Idea....

I have a bit of an idea... Oilers sitting in a little better situation with money this year (the CDN dollar, ticket sales, all that stuff) The Oilers probably won't be paying Comrie anything this year cause it's doubtful that he plays another game with the Oilers. SO thats 4.5 million bucks right there. We also have some more $ after dealing Janne and Carter for Dvo and Izzy (about a million, slightly under). Also Marchant left which frees up about a million and a half. So that leaves about 7 million left. Lets say that all the salary raises (Moreau, Horcoff, Reasoner, etc.) take up about 2 of that (it really doesn't). So now we have 5 million bucks! So what is done with that five million? We have all kinds of room to take on salary right?!?!? Why can't we find a guy who's about to be a UFA at the end of this year, makes about 4 million a year (ish) and offer like a second rounder or something for him?!?!?! This would also kill any leverage that Comrie has, and would also increase his market price because the Oilers wouldn't NEED to trade him. A guy like Damphouse? Is he a UFA to be? he'd be in the right price range.....

Anybody have any names that would fit that? Or what is the deal with what happens with this extra cash?

hillbillypriest 09-27-2003 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
I have a bit of an idea... Oilers sitting in a little better situation with money this year (the CDN dollar, ticket sales, all that stuff) The Oilers probably won't be paying Comrie anything this year cause it's doubtful that he plays another game with the Oilers. SO thats 4.5 million bucks right there. We also have some more $ after dealing Janne and Carter for Dvo and Izzy (about a million, slightly under). Also Marchant left which frees up about a million and a half. So that leaves about 7 million left. Lets say that all the salary raises (Moreau, Horcoff, Reasoner, etc.) take up about 2 of that (it really doesn't). So now we have 5 million bucks! So what is done with that five million? We have all kinds of room to take on salary right?!?!? Why can't we find a guy who's about to be a UFA at the end of this year, makes about 4 million a year (ish) and offer like a second rounder or something for him?!?!?! This would also kill any leverage that Comrie has, and would also increase his market price because the Oilers wouldn't NEED to trade him. A guy like Damphouse? Is he a UFA to be? he'd be in the right price range.....

Anybody have any names that would fit that? Or what is the deal with what happens with this extra cash?

Under this scenario why not just grab Adam Oates? Probably a lot cheaper and doesn't require a draft choice to get. I think he can still play. Anyway, you bring up a pretty good point. Why not think about short term fixes given the possibility of a work stoppage next year?

creative giant* 09-27-2003 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Under this scenario why not just grab Adam Oates? Probably a lot cheaper and doesn't require a draft choice to get. I think he can still play. Anyway, you bring up a pretty good point. Why not think about short term fixes given the possibility of a work stoppage next year?

But he's saying we forget about being cheap because we got the 5 mil. If that's really the case I'd go after Damphouse like there's no tomorrow. Then, however, the risk you take is that the new CBA would free up some more money so that you could singn vinnie to a long term deal after 04. If we can't get him I'd go for a couple of young guns from the wings, even if we have to throw in some picks and stuff to even it out

Oilers Ent 09-27-2003 11:54 AM

I've said this before.

Why not Oates for $2 Million. Problem solved for one year and next year (or the year after if there's a work stoppage) Stoll will definitely be reading to take over the reigns.

thome_26 09-27-2003 11:56 AM

Oates is old and slow. He just wouldn't fit. He would NEVER be able to keep up to the Oilers forwards to play the forchecking game. If we are talking FA's I'm thinking Ronning..... But what are some names of some to be UFA's that make approx. 4 million...

creative giant* 09-27-2003 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
Oates is old and slow.

zing!! :bow:

Oi'll say! 09-27-2003 12:08 PM

Running - NOT!

Oates - NOT!

I'm hoping that the Hurricanes are bottom feeders again so that we can get Brind'Amour at the deadline.

He's been the best second line center in the nhl (aside from Fedorov and Forsberg) since Messier was an Oiler. He'd be the #1 here even with Comrie around.

thome_26 09-27-2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Running - NOT!

Oates - NOT!

I'm hoping that the Hurricanes are bottom feeders again so that we can get Brind'Amour at the deadline.

He's been the best second line center in the nhl (aside from Fedorov and Forsberg) since Messier was an Oiler. He'd be the #1 here even with Comrie around.

PERFECT!! EXACTLY THE TYPE I WAS THINKING OF!! GREAT THINKING! But only thing is I'd like to see somebody in the first couple weeks of the season (dont' see Brind'amour being moved untill atleast after Xman..)

thome_26 09-27-2003 12:11 PM

Also....
It would be interesting to see what Rod could do as a number one.....

Cloned 09-27-2003 03:39 PM

Casting aside all potential problems with this idea, here are a few names to consider, with what a potential one-year contract would be worth:

Dmitry Yushkevich (UFA) (~$3.5-5 million)
Sergei Berezin (UFA) (~$2.5-3.5 million)
Adam Graves (UFA) (~$2-2.5 million)

That is, if Lowe is willing to spend approx. $2-5 million on a one-year contract.

Some other $2-5 million forwards that we could pick up, by trading (not necessarily trading Comrie either, just by a trade of any sort):

Brian Rolston
Marc Savard
Alexei Zhamnov
Mike Ricci
Stu Barnes
Robert Lang (the much maligned)

s7ark 09-27-2003 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned
Casting aside all potential problems with this idea, here are a few names to consider, with what a potential one-year contract would be worth:

Dmitry Yushkevich (UFA) (~$3.5-5 million)
Sergei Berezin (UFA) (~$2.5-3.5 million)
Adam Graves (UFA) (~$2-2.5 million)

That is, if Lowe is willing to spend approx. $2-5 million on a one-year contract.

Some other $2-5 million forwards that we could pick up, by trading (not necessarily trading Comrie either, just by a trade of any sort):

Brian Rolston
Marc Savard
Alexei Zhamnov
Mike Ricci
Stu Barnes

Or Berard....

Vyse64 09-27-2003 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
Or Berard....

i heard Boston could match any offer under 2.51 million, is that right?

s7ark 09-27-2003 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
i heard Boston could match any offer under 2.51 million, is that right?

Any offer up to 80% of the arbitration amount of 2.5. If we offer 81% then they can't match...

Vyse64 09-27-2003 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
Any offer up to 80% of the arbitration amount of 2.5. If we offer 81% then they can't match...

thanks

thome_26 09-27-2003 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned
Brian Rolston
Marc Savard
Alexei Zhamnov
Mike Ricci
Stu Barnes

I like Zhamnov, he'd probably work good. Same with Rolston and Lang. Dont really need Ricci though - Savard makes Comrie look like a Selke winner, and Barnes isn't much of an upgrade anyways. What would it take to get Brind'Amour from Carolina? (I think i'll post this in the trade/rumor thing)

zamboni 09-27-2003 07:38 PM

I think Brindy makes too much money to be an Oiler...which is disappointing because I really like him...

thome_26 09-27-2003 07:46 PM

But just from salary that they Oilers won't be paying that they did last year, they have five million (which is exactly what Brind'Amour makes). Thats not even taking into account the stronger Canadian dollar, what is expected to be increased ticket sales.

TheBrew 09-27-2003 08:24 PM

did you add cory cross 1.5 million$$$$ :dunno:

FacelessButcher 09-27-2003 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBrew
did you add cory cross 1.5 million$$$$ :dunno:

Cross $1.05 million

zamboni 09-27-2003 08:37 PM

I don't know...I don't think Lowe would be wanting to add more salary from outside the organization before the CBA...

speeds 09-27-2003 09:36 PM

why not just save the 5 mil to guard against lockout losses and stick with what we've got?

It's not like Damphousse would be the final piece between EDM and a cup.

thome_26 09-27-2003 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeds
why not just save the 5 mil to guard against lockout losses and stick with what we've got?

It's not like Damphousse would be the final piece between EDM and a cup.

Maybe not, but winning a round or two in the playoffs him or Brind'amour would make a huge difference.

thome_26 09-27-2003 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamboni
I don't know...I don't think Lowe would be wanting to add more salary from outside the organization before the CBA...

Thats the thing, if you get a guy who'll be a UFA then he's clear at the CBA

HockeySense85 09-28-2003 06:17 AM

"Maybe not, but winning a round or two in the playoffs him or Brind'amour would make a huge difference."

Although I am not convinced that the Oilers actually have this money to spend freely, considering it wasn't too long ago the owners made the cash call, I do think trading for a veteran later in the season would be a great idea. Here is my reasoning for supporting a deadline deal:

A) They let there youngsters get a taste of the NHL for the better part of the season. Thus you don't really hinder there development. Only negative is that one played doesn't get the on ice playoff experience.

B) A veteran could fill the most glaring hole at that time. We won't really know until the season starts if the biggest hole is at center, on defense, or even in net.

C) The oilers would only pay a portion of the salary at the deadline, and that means they won't use anywhere near 5 million bucks.

D) If this player can help them get into the second round, the revenue from the extra home playoffs dates alone would pay the guy's salary, and the Oilers will have finally taken a solid step forward.

dawgbone 09-28-2003 07:31 AM

Good god... Berezin?

and for that much money?

If I was an Oiler, that would be a call for Mutiny.