HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nazem Kadri ready to play 1st line? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1478549)

TmlHockeyFan 07-31-2013 07:14 PM

Nazem Kadri ready to play 1st line?
 
Honestly, I hope he is well considered. It is too early to speculate because we do not know if he tried improving his faceoffs this off season. Although one can expect he did. I think Kadri on the first line should at least be experimented during training camp and preseason (I'm sure it will). But I want a STRONG consideration for him to go on top line. Everytime I've seen him on a line with Kessel, they've played real well together.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel would be nice but then they would be a one line team, unless this can at least be the top power play unit.

RtooDtu 07-31-2013 07:16 PM

no...

blueNwhite89 07-31-2013 07:17 PM

What's the rush?

Eb 07-31-2013 07:19 PM

Balanced attack.

AuraSphere 07-31-2013 07:21 PM

Not even close to being ready, and I like the lines how they are now, they're fairly balanced. It's not always the best thing to just have 1 line that produces and others slacking.

JVR - Bozak (he needs to be replaced but obviously won't be) - kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

mj13 07-31-2013 07:22 PM

I think lupul-kadri-kessel would be an awesome powerplay unit. Right now I would keep lupul with kadri and bozak with kessel. Hopefully Kadri can improve his face off ability this season

7even 07-31-2013 07:22 PM

I'd like to see him get at least an extended tryout on the first line. Bozak's making me sad.

cannucky 07-31-2013 07:25 PM

not to hijack but did he train with Roberts this summer ?

JackJ 07-31-2013 07:30 PM

Not yet. Last year he made the jump from #3 to #2 but tailed off in the last month (playoffs included). This season Kadri needs to prove he's a reliable top six centerman with all of the responsibilities that come with it. For him,easily accomplished.

LeafOfBread 07-31-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannucky (Post 69814755)
not to hijack but did he train with Roberts this summer ?

There hasn't been any indication of it. He's been skating with Underhill though.

To be fair, most people only train with Roberts once, and once they know what they have to do they can do the training with their own team's staff. The only one who goes back every year is Stamkos I think.

Anyway I think Kadri will get his shot soon, but I don't think this will be the year. I think Kadri will likely regress a bit this year, and then follow it up with a huge 3rd season.

TmlHockeyFan 07-31-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannucky (Post 69814755)
not to hijack but did he train with Roberts this summer ?

I've been wondering the same thing for the longest time. IF he did, I guess they are trying to keep it quiet from the media.

mozz 07-31-2013 07:36 PM

If you mean first line as in playing with Kessel then I disagree. Both of them can create offense by themselves and our top 6 has a much more balanced attack if we leave them seperated.

He isn't training with Roberts this offseason. He's using the program but I'm pretty sure he's staying in TO to work with Underhill and use the shooting/training facilities.

Anthrax442 07-31-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb (Post 69814599)
Balanced attack.

Bozak makes the 1st line worse is the balance you talk about?

The CyNick 07-31-2013 07:59 PM

Whether or not he can play on the first line will be up to the player.

Peasy 07-31-2013 08:00 PM

He hasnt even played a full season yet...Maybe if he continues to preform half way through the up coming season.

Diatomic 07-31-2013 08:01 PM

Half a season more and I think he will be. Going to be a very very exciting day when he's playing alongside Kessel full-time.

BIitz 07-31-2013 08:02 PM

Not good enough yet.

Happy Fan 07-31-2013 08:11 PM

Would be nice to see him hook up with Kessel and push one of them to 100 points.

EscapeGoat 07-31-2013 08:15 PM

I want to see an improvement in faceoffs before he takes over 1st line duties.

Eb 07-31-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthrax442 (Post 69815601)
Bozak makes the 1st line worse is the balance you talk about?

BAZINGA.

No... but good one pal. Witty.

SeenSchenn2 07-31-2013 08:20 PM

Hopefully by the middle of the season. Bozak would be way more effective where he's suited in the 2 slot.

mapleleaf979 07-31-2013 08:39 PM

Most penalites drawn in the NHL last year. Nazem Kadri drew the most and it was not even close.

Nazem Kadri 32
Claude Giroux 23
Dustin Brown 23
Cory Conacher 23
John Tavares 19
Jeff Skinner 19
Carl Hagelin 19
Patrick Kaleta 17
Taylor Hall 17
Sidney Crosby 15
Martin St Louis 15

At the same time he didnt take many either

Kadri 7
Giroux 6
Brown 8
Conacher 8
Tavares 6
Skinner 7
HAgelin 8
Kaleta 4
Hall 7
Crosby 6
St Louis 2

* This stat is huge in my opinion. It puts his team on the PP. As far as Im concerned last season and in the last several years with the Marlies and OHL, Kadri is hard to contain without hooking or tripping. It happened over and over again last year.

On that same list Phaneuf drew 3 penalties and took 12, near the bottom in the league at a -9 differential. Kadri was +25 in the differential between drawn and taken penalites.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever 07-31-2013 08:54 PM

I think it's better if Kadri starts the season playing with Lupul and Clarkson.

However if he ever needed to play the 1st line with Kessel he has shown he was able to. During the last two games of the regular season when Bozak hurt and Kadri was moved to the 1st line, Kessel was able to score in both that games. Plus in Game 6 against the Bruins Kadri won the face off right before Kessel made it 2-0. Then in Game 7 at the start of the 3rd Kadri had an assist on Kessel's goal and Kadri scored right after that on a rebound shot from Kessel.

mapleleaf979 07-31-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 69817611)
I think it's better if Kadri starts the season playing with Lupul and Clarkson.

However if he ever needed to play the 1st line with Kessel he has shown he was able to. During the last two games of the regular season when Bozak hurt and Kadri was moved to the 1st line, Kessel was able to score in both that games. Plus in Game 6 against the Bruins Kadri won the face off right before Kessel made it 2-0. Then in Game 7 at the start of the 3rd Kadri had an assist on Kessel's goal and Kadri scored right after that on a rebound shot from Kessel.

The only thing about putting Kadri with Kessel, is that Bozak would do little anywhere else in the lineup.

With Kadri he has proven at every single level of hockey that he can play with anyone. He is extremely smart and his playmaking skills speak for themselves. Putting Kadri on that second line and away from Kessel will force teams to have a strong Top 4 defense as they can not just have the same pairing to shut down the most dangerous line for the Leafs.

Clark4Ever 07-31-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 (Post 69817111)
Most penalites drawn in the NHL last year. Nazem Kadri drew the most and it was not even close.

Nazem Kadri 32
Claude Giroux 23
Dustin Brown 23
Cory Conacher 23
John Tavares 19
Jeff Skinner 19
Carl Hagelin 19
Patrick Kaleta 17
Taylor Hall 17
Sidney Crosby 15
Martin St Louis 15

At the same time he didnt take many either

Kadri 7
Giroux 6
Brown 8
Conacher 8
Tavares 6
Skinner 7
HAgelin 8
Kaleta 4
Hall 7
Crosby 6
St Louis 2

* This stat is huge in my opinion. It puts his team on the PP. As far as Im concerned last season and in the last several years with the Marlies and OHL, Kadri is hard to contain without hooking or tripping. It happened over and over again last year.

On that same list Phaneuf drew 3 penalties and took 12, near the bottom in the league at a -9 differential. Kadri was +25 in the differential between drawn and taken penalites.

Excellent point that is likely overlooked by most fans.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.