HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Prospect Info: Pronman's (Hockey Prospectus) Top 10 Sabres Propects 2013 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1478817)

Mit Yarrum 08-01-2013 10:27 AM

Pronman's (Hockey Prospectus) Top 10 Sabres Propects 2013
 
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1563

Quote:

Buffalo Sabres Top 10 Prospects

1. Mikhail Grigorenko, Center
2. Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense
3. Nikita Zadorov, Defense
4. Joel Armia, Right Wing
5. Zemgus Girgensons, Center
6. J.T. Compher, Center
7. Mark Pysyk, Defense
8. Johan Larsson, Center
9. Jake McCabe, Defense
10. Brayden McNabb, Defense

Organizational Ranking: 3rd

System Overview

The Sabres boast an elite farm system, anchored mainly by their past two draft classes. Grigorenko is a star prospect, and Buffalo's top five or six prospects are extremely strong. The system's depth is slightly above average, and their pipeline has a lot of players who are close to NHL-ready, which the struggling Sabres sorely need.

Much more at the link: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1563
Interesting rankings. He has Zadorov and Compher ranked much higher than I do.

He also has Buffalo ranked 3rd in the league, behind Tampa and the Islanders.

FearTheBeard 08-01-2013 10:50 AM

I got butterflies when i read "elite farm system"

Surprised to see Compher so high I would have him 10 and the rest slide up a spot but can't argue with the rest. 2-5 could be in any order IMO

If you click the link they go a little more in depth with each propect, and the absolute best part was they couldnt find anything bad to say about Risto

Quote:

The Bad: Ristolainen does not have a true glaring hole, although his defensive positioning could use a little fine tuning.
For those wondering they're 11-15 look like this

Quote:

11. Daniel Catenacci, Center: Catenacci is an elite skater with skill, but in recent years, he has become very adept at killing penalties and playing defense. He has expanded the possible outcomes for his path forward into pro hockey.

12. Connor Hurley, Center: Hurley is a highly-talented forward with good speed, great hands, and a penchant for creating offense. His physical game is inconsistent.

13. Chad Ruhwedel, Defense: Ruhwedel does not have the highest ceiling, and he is small, but he skates well, and he thinks the game at a quality level in both ends.

14. Justin Bailey, Right Wing: Bailey is a toolsy forward with size, skill, and a good shot. He is raw, however, and he could improve his footwork.

15. Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Defense: He has above-average NHL potential due to his offensive tools, but it is questionable if he can ever defend at an NHL level.

OcAirlines 08-01-2013 10:51 AM

Compher ahead of Pysyk is kind of a headscratcher, other than that this looks pretty reasonable, although I personally ranked some people a little differently.

Mit Yarrum 08-01-2013 10:52 AM

I love the work Pronman puts out there. He's one of my favorites.

Chainshot 08-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGB24 (Post 69831457)
I got butterflies when i read "elite farm system"

Surprised to see Compher so high I would have him 10 and the rest slide up a spot but can't argue with the rest. 2-5 could be in any order IMO

Buffalo had him in the 20's on this draft board, which likely should slot him in over a number of picks in the last few years. Pronman really liked him too, pre-draft, so this isn't much of a shock in his listing.

Jacob582 08-01-2013 10:53 AM

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
"Compher's got a lot of potential, I may be conservative. RT @TheHosers_DSJ: Pretty high on Compher? Surprised to see him ahead of Pysyk."

Jacob582 08-01-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 (Post 69831545)
I love the work Pronman puts out there. He's one of my favorites.

Compulsive tweeter.

I like his work too. @SabresProspects knows more about our prospects, but Pronman provides good league-wide prospect information and has an enjoyable sarcastic sense of humor.

Chainshot 08-01-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 69831733)
Compulsive tweeter.

I like his work too. @SabresProspects knows more about our prospects, but Pronman provides good league-wide prospect information and has an enjoyable sarcastic sense of humor.

Our very own Hobey Baker. :yo: :handclap:

Sabre Dance 08-01-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGB24 (Post 69831457)
I got butterflies when i read "elite farm system"

And just think, over the next year or 2 they may add 2 more elite top 10 prospects and they have 2 extra 2nd round picks.

5-7 years from now will be fun.

Jame 08-01-2013 11:16 AM

Pronman - Jame
1. Grigor - Risto
2. Risto - Grigor
3. Zad - Armia
4. Armia - Zad
5. Girgs - Girgs
6. Compher - Pysyk
7. Pysyk - Larsson
8. Larsson - McCabe
9. McCabe - Compher
10. McNabb - McNabb
11. Cat - Cat
12. Hurley - Hackett
13. Ruhwedel - Bailey
14. Bailey - Kea
15. JGL- Hurley

gallagt01 08-01-2013 11:17 AM

Compher has been pretty underrated around these parts since the draft, I feel. I think he and Girgensons are comparable prospects, with Zemgus having the edge in size.

Between these two, Foligno, Larsson, Catenacci, Tropp, etc., Buffalo has really brought in a nice stable of secondary prospects that are difficult to play against. Couple that with the high-end potential that Grigorenko, Armia, Ristolainen and Zadorov possess and Buffalo has an excellent foundation in place (Risto and Zadorov also being difficult to play against is gravy).

Push Dr Tracksuit 08-01-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 (Post 69830791)
Interesting rankings. He has Zadorov and Compher ranked much higher than I do.

A lot of discussion before the draft that his offensive upside was sniffing top pairing level. They blamed it on his role in the Russian system type casting him as a stay at home guy when he went to London. Towards the end of the season he was seeing time on their PP and looks to have the makings of a decent QB type. His shot still leaves me skeptical but he was definitely one of my favorites going in to the draft. Shocked he made it passed Philly.

joshjull 08-01-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 69832069)
And just think, over the next year or 2 they may add 2 more elite top 10 prospects and they have 2 extra 2nd round picks.

5-7 years from now will be fun.

They are certainly laying the foundation for long term success.

New Sabres Captain 08-01-2013 12:43 PM

The lack of Hackett is very surprising. Is that just an oversight, or is he using criteria that for whatever reason excludes him?

Jacob582 08-01-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 69834909)
The lack of Hackett is very surprising. Is that just an oversight, or is he using criteria that for whatever reason excludes him?

"I Donít Hate Your Goalie Prospect ":

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=216

Jacob582 08-01-2013 01:52 PM

I just noticed his top 5 are all European. I just find that interesting since the Sabres went through a period of not drafting Europeans at the top of the draft.

Chainshot 08-01-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 69837265)
I just noticed his top 5 are all European. I just find that interesting since the Sabres went through a period of not drafting Europeans at the top of the draft.

Eh, three of those guys were playing in NA in their draft-eligible season though. The other two are both Finns. It's not like they're branching out deeply into European development systems yet.

couture23 08-01-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 69837463)
Eh, three of those guys were playing in NA in their draft-eligible season though. The other two are both Finns. It's not like they're branching out deeply into European development systems yet.

Exactly. Stay away from KHL players.

stokes84 08-01-2013 02:39 PM

He says our top 5 or 6 is really strong, basically cutting it off right before Pysyk. I wonder why he's so low on him? Pysyk is my no. 2 prospect. I don't know how you can drop someone who's development has come along so flawlessly.

I always find it odd, when a player is first drafted, people always rate them highly, expecting their development to top out. Even when their development goes well or better than expected, people throw next batch in higher. I think it should be the other way around. As they develop, if it's going well, move them up. They've already passed the first test, which is more than can be said for the newly drafted players.

ROR 08-01-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 69838845)
He says our top 5 or 6 is really strong, basically cutting it off right before Pysyk. I wonder why he's so low on him? Pysyk is my no. 2 prospect. I don't know how you can drop someone who's development has come along so flawlessly.

He's not "low" on Pysyk.

Quote:

‏@coreypronman 4h .@diebytheblade nothing against Pysyk he was great last season. Think the ones ahead of him just have that extra level of upside.

Zman5778 08-01-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 69839121)
He's not "low" on Pysyk.

Can't really disagree with Pronman. While I like Pysyk and think he's going to be a rock-solid NHL defenseman, these other guys just have more potential.

And when ranking prospects, the majority of people and the VAST majority of pundits will rank potential in prospects above all else.

Myllz 08-01-2013 03:01 PM

People are going to be surprised at what Compher does if they think he's too high in those rankings.

BananaSquad 08-01-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 69834909)
The lack of Hackett is very surprising. Is that just an oversight, or is he using criteria that for whatever reason excludes him?

I agree. But it shows a deep prospect pool the Sabres have now, which is great.

Dubi Doo 08-01-2013 04:07 PM

I would put Larsson and Pysyk ahead of Compher. You can make a case for McCabe as well.

stokes84 08-01-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 69839121)
He's not "low" on Pysyk.

Top 5 or 6 are really strong. Pysyk is 7. IE, Pysyk is not really strong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman5778 (Post 69839409)
Can't really disagree with Pronman. While I like Pysyk and think he's going to be a rock-solid NHL defenseman, these other guys just have more potential.

And when ranking prospects, the majority of people and the VAST majority of pundits will rank potential in prospects above all else.

Disagree. His combo of hockey sense and mobility gives him as much upside as any of our prospects. When you have those two things, the sky is the limit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.