HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Mark Arcobello (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1478973)

Comic Book Guy* 08-01-2013 05:45 PM

Mark Arcobello

I know this post is going to ruffle some feathers, but i'm hoping to get this off my chest...

Does it concern anyone else that people on HFOil and other fan outlets are starting to talk about Arcobello as a viable option for the team? HFOil superstar poster, The Perfect Human had Arcobello in our top 9 even with RNH back from injury. Take a look:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Perfect Human (Post 69824913)
Whatever line Arco's on has got to be spoon-fed easy minutes.

Perron-RNH-Eberle (~15min ES) - "1a" minutes - primary shutdown unit with offensive ability
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky (~15min ES) - "1b" minutes - primary offensive
Jones-Arco-Yakupov (8 min ES) - "good 4th line" minutes - 2ndary offensive
Joensuu-Gordon-Lander (12min ES) - "3rd line" minutes = secondary shutdown unit

Arco's line takes the softest minutes (basically a 4th line with heavy minutes). Arco's playmaking complements Yakupov and Jones' games.

If my memory serves me correctly (Which, admittedly is not very good these days), Arcobello has be the worst hockey player that I have ever seen touch the NHL ice (and I've seen Cory Cross, Bryan Muir, Jason Doig, and Jason Bonsignore).

Every single time he was passed the puck, the play died because he either couldn't reach it or he couldnt control it. He is too small, too unskilled, and likely doesn't touch the NHL ice had he signed with any other team other than the Oilers.

FACTORS that may have lead to his awful NHL debut:
- he was nervous
- he hasn't adapted
- he wasn't given a training camp to aclimatize himself...

There's lots of ways to be an Arcobello apologist. I just want to make one thing clear: If MacT thinks that Arco is a good option for the Edmonton Oilers this year, we're in a world of hurt. I didn't really like Vande Velde, but at least that guy showed he could hold his own physically in the NHL.

The Nuge 08-01-2013 05:51 PM

He's relatively young and decent offensively. If Nuge isn't back to start the year, I'd rather him here than play Smyth at center again. He's not nearly as bad as you make him out to be

joestevens29 08-01-2013 05:57 PM

You are worried about Arco when he has Yak getting 8 minutes at ES? To me that's the bigger issues.

Arco getting 8 minutes a night at ES isn't a big deal to me. Every year there are many players that come out of no where and fill a role like that, if it happens to be Arco good for him.

But Yak getting that little of time is just crazy.

Comic Book Guy* 08-01-2013 06:04 PM

The Perfect Human is quite conscientious and perhaps he's cognizant of the fact that Yakupov may be facing a sophomore slump this coming season. Perhaps 8 minutes is just right?

0ilerman 08-01-2013 06:07 PM

Arcobello is an AHL callup. He'll fill a role as long as there's a role to fill. Once Nuge is healthy, back to OKC. It's simple

Comrade Blunderbore 08-01-2013 06:07 PM

nice try TPH.

CorpseFX 08-01-2013 06:12 PM

over-thinking a mediocre to sub-mediocre team roster in the off-season is a good time.

KlimasLoveChild 08-01-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy (Post 69842585)
The Perfect Human is quite conscientious and perhaps he's cognizant of the fact that Yakupov may be facing a sophomore slump this coming season. Perhaps 8 minutes is just right?

He suggested burying yak as an attempt to sign him to a low ball second contract. That is a losers mentality....

ales83fan 08-01-2013 06:33 PM

Yeah the one game he played in the NHL he was the worst player in the history of the game!

He shall never see NHL ice again!

blackwater 08-01-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

So because he MIGHT have a sophomore slump, the oilers should cut his ice time in half? That's some solid reasoning right there. :shakehead

Nuge93 08-01-2013 07:05 PM

He isn't a good option, but if Nuge is out for the start, I think we'll see him. I still believe there will be another trade or signing to bring in a 4C

nofool6110 08-01-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

I thought you try to prevent a sophomore slump, not create one.

Cerebral 08-01-2013 07:34 PM

I see no reason why Arcobello shouldn't get a fair shot to win a job over Lander and I'm guessing that's the way most people view it as well. I really don't think there is an issue with that and it's not like most Oilers fans view the guy as a realistic top 6 option.

Arcobello was 4th in AHL scoring this season (although that was boosted up by Hall, Eberle and Schultz) but then carried on to put up 20 points in 17 playoff games and finish 4th in scoring (this time without his supporting cast). That is two straight playoff runs where Arcobello has finished top 10 in scoring.

Is there really a huge difference between Arcobello and a guy like Conacher? We have no room in the top 6 for Arcobello so that likely hurts his chances but he fully deserves a shot at cracking the fourth line.

shoop 08-01-2013 07:46 PM

I'd rather see Smithson re-signed than start the season with Arcobello on the team.

Arcobello is just not there yet. Who knows if he'll ever make it.

Cerebral 08-01-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoop (Post 69844868)

Arcobello is just not there yet. Who knows if he'll ever make it.

How do we know that though? The guy played one game as an emergency call up and didn't look great. The odds are certainly against him but I don't think we have nearly enough evidence to see if he's "there" or not yet.

I see Smithson as a guy who might be worth giving a training camp invite to. That would make the competition between Lander, Arcobello, Acton, Smyth and Smithson for the bottom line job. I wouldn't want to see Smithson signed to a contract though as we know what he provides and it is very little. To be honest, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Acton ends up being fairly similar to Smithson.

Trizent 08-01-2013 08:30 PM

Agreed with the sign Smithson-type to a two way contract to get us through if it is going to be a month -- ie 14 games. If it is 5 or less than internal coverage.

MrCaptain 08-01-2013 08:31 PM

So is this a thread to criticize another members posts in other threads?

Arpeggio 08-01-2013 08:37 PM

I don't know how you came to that conclusion watching the one NHL game Arcobello has played. I think he deserves a shot at least being the first call-up, which is the role he'd be filling if he replaced RNH for a couple weeks.

MacT seems high on Andrew Miller too.

skorf 08-01-2013 09:25 PM

Everyone has bad games, we shouldn't judge him on ONE game.

With that being said... the Oilers should have open competition between Joensuu, Hamilton, Miller, Lander, Arcobello, Eager, Acton for the last 3 forward spots on the team

Assuming Brown and Smyth have spots already (Joensuu likely does too since 1 way deal)

SeriousBusiness 08-01-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy (Post 69842231)
I know this post is going to ruffle some feathers, but i'm hoping to get this off my chest...

Does it concern anyone else that people on HFOil and other fan outlets are starting to talk about Arcobello as a viable option for the team? HFOil superstar poster, The Perfect Human had Arcobello in our top 9 even with RNH back from injury.

Stopped reading right there.

Steve BachIntyre 08-01-2013 10:42 PM

I don't think Smithson fit in very well in the dressing room, look at how many the team lost after his aquisition

puckfan13 08-01-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar (Post 69851369)
I don't think Smithson fit in very well in the dressing room, look at how many the team lost after his aquisition

:yo:

Trafalgar Law 08-01-2013 11:12 PM

I vehemously disagree with 90% of what TPH types, but do we really need a passive aggressive call-out thread like this?

Aerchon 08-01-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy (Post 69842231)

Does it concern anyone else that people on HFOil and other fan outlets are starting to talk about Arcobello as a viable option for the team? HFOil superstar poster, The Perfect Human had Arcobello in our top 9 even with RNH back from injury. Take a look:

If my memory serves me correctly (Which, admittedly is not very good these days), Arcobello has be the worst hockey player that I have ever seen touch the NHL ice (and I've seen Cory Cross, Bryan Muir, Jason Doig, and Jason Bonsignore).

Every single time he was passed the puck, the play died because he either couldn't reach it or he couldnt control it. He is too small, too unskilled, and likely doesn't touch the NHL ice had he signed with any other team other than the Oilers.

FACTORS that may have lead to his awful NHL debut:
- he was nervous
- he hasn't adapted
- he wasn't given a training camp to aclimatize himself...

There's lots of ways to be an Arcobello apologist. I just want to make one thing clear: If MacT thinks that Arco is a good option for the Edmonton Oilers this year, we're in a world of hurt. I didn't really like Vande Velde, but at least that guy showed he could hold his own physically in the NHL.

I am certain you have never watched him in the AHL. I am also certain you are at best exaggerating how bad he played in the NHL or just don't have a clue about hockey.

I remember his NHL time and while he wasn't outstanding I thought he played at least as well as Lander.

I also watched every single AHL game during the lockout and Arcobello was good to great as the season progrssed. He played so well that when The Nuge left the top line and he stepped in, the line actually improved. When Hall and Ebs left he continued to produce at or near point a game. He is a very good AHLer.

I am not saying the guy is gonna rip the NHL up. He is an AHL star but that doesn't translate directly to the NHL as we all know.

I can safely say that he is a good call up. A great depth guy if someone gets injured. I actually think he deserves a solid cup of coffee at the NHL again next for how well he played last year.

He has great on ice IQ, good vision, solid skating, good pass, and decent scoring ability... At the AHL level. Size is his big weakness and while he boasts a great all around package succeeding at the NHL level with his skill set and size is a very difficult thing to do.

I don't think he will succeed in the NHL but if you have watched him play in the AHL you would understand why someone might think he could break into the NHL.

Hockey Fan #751 08-01-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerchon (Post 69853369)
I am certain you have never watched him in the AHL. I am also certain you are at best exaggerating how bad he played in the NHL or just don't have a clue about hockey.

I remember his NHL time and while he wasn't outstanding I thought he played at least as well as Lander.

I also watched every single AHL game during the lockout and Arcobello was good to great as the season progrssed. He played so well that when The Nuge left the top line and he stepped in, the line actually improved. When Hall and Ebs left he continued to produce at or near point a game. He is a very good AHLer.

I am not saying the guy is gonna rip the NHL up. He is an AHL star but that doesn't translate directly to the NHL as we all know.

I can safely say that he is a good call up. A great depth guy if someone gets injured. I actually think he deserves a solid cup of coffee at the NHL again next for how well he played last year.

He has great on ice IQ, good vision, solid skating, good pass, and decent scoring ability... At the AHL level. Size is his big weakness and while he boasts a great all around package succeeding at the NHL level with his skill set and size is a very difficult thing to do.

I don't think he will succeed in the NHL but if you have watched him play in the AHL you would understand why someone might think he could break into the NHL.

Great post. I saw him play a ton of games in OKC last year (in person) and he was excellent. You nailed it, the line was better with Arcobello than it was with Nugent-Hopkins.

His one game in the NHL he was way too nervous. If you really want him to succeed in the NHL let him come up for a handful of games. Once he got used to the speed, I think he would be good.

Long term he probably isn't a fit with the Oilers but I think he will play in the NHL somewhere because he is a smart and skilled player.