HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Do we really want to make playoffs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1481357)

Broilers 08-07-2013 02:49 AM

Do we really want to make playoffs?
 
It is very obvious that RNH will start the season from IR and lose 12-25 games. 15 games is my evaluation. This leads to situation that one of our top 2 centers is practically speaking fourth liner (Lander) minor leaguer (Arcobello) or college player (Miller). If he is playing with Perron and Yak it not helping to get Perron to go in the new team and Yak elevate his game to top6 level.

It is crucial to get good start to make playoffs. I really hope that MacT is not planning to suck again high pick.

Viny Prospal is offensive forward who can play both LW and center. He might be a good solution to play with Hall and Eberle in the first line and when RNH will be back in the thir line with Hemsky and Boyd. He will come cheap he is still without work.

oil4life14 08-07-2013 02:56 AM

When was the last time he played centre? Listed as a lw. And so nice to hear from nuges doctor and hear your evaluation on his health status and estimated time of arrival.

CorpseFX 08-07-2013 03:03 AM

off-season smoke and mirrors made of paper/data. they probably aren't making the playoffs even with RNH at a full season. i hope they prove me wrong but it's just way too weak/young of a roster still. if they start executing an actual game of 5-on-5 hockey with some consistency - i'd be HIGHLY impressed

Oiltankjob Fail 08-07-2013 03:05 AM

12 to 25 games my evaluation is your evaluation is coming from your butt.

Muscles Glasses 08-07-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 (Post 69995541)
12 to 25 games my evaluation is your evaluation is coming from your butt.

I agree. I would like to read the report that says that RNH will be out until the end of November.

Tarus 08-07-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

"We're still operating under the same forecast that we had initially," MacTavish said. "All things are optimistic right now. The pessimistic timeline is that he'll be ready by November 1 for sure, and optimistically he'd be ready to start the year. We're going to stay with that and let his progression dictate when he's ready. We won't be hurrying him, that's for sure."
0 - 14 games is the likely result, not 12 - 25.

Paralyzer008 08-07-2013 03:42 AM

Yes, MacT does, otherwise he's not going after Ference and Perron in the summer.

However, he still needs 1-2 more moves if he wants to achieve his goal, and that's just to grab the final playoff spot.

Everlasting 08-07-2013 05:04 AM

Why dont we wait with this "We will be in the playoffs with a full team" until the Oilers have proven they are not a bottom 10 team? Becuse that is what they are, a bottom 10 team. Not a playoff team.

And Lander will do a fine job. No worries there.

sid49 08-07-2013 06:02 AM

Mact said in his most recent interview that nothings changed with Nuge and its expected hell start the season. Wheres all this talk about him missing the first month of the season coming from ?

Usual_Suspect 08-07-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sid49 (Post 69996395)
Mact said in his most recent interview that nothings changed with Nuge and its expected hell start the season. Wheres all this talk about him missing the first month of the season coming from ?

That's not what MacT said. Here's his quote:

Quote:

"We're still operating under the same forecast that we had initially," MacTavish said. "All things are optimistic right now. The pessimistic timeline is that he'll be ready by November 1 for sure, and optimistically he'd be ready to start the year. We're going to stay with that and let his progression dictate when he's ready. We won't be hurrying him, that's for sure."

In the event that Nugent-Hopkins is unavailable to start the season, MacTavish said the Oilers "off-set Nuge's absence in the interim" with a combination of up-and-coming middle-men Mark Arcobello, Andrew Miller, Will Acton and Anton Lander.

SK13 08-07-2013 06:46 AM

Dr. Broilers evaluation.

Thing is, October is the time to wing it with injuries. Everyone's all go-getterish and the veteran teams tend to be slow to start. Easier to fraud your way to a winning record without a key piece.

Replacement 08-07-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK13 (Post 69996655)
Dr. Broilers evaluation.

Thing is, October is the time to wing it with injuries. Everyone's all go-getterish and the veteran teams tend to be slow to start. Easier to fraud your way to a winning record without a key piece.

We couldn't even do this last year when half our players had been playing for months against more established clubs coming into the season stone cold after a long lockout.

We had every advantage and didn't do anything with it.

Replacement 08-07-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect (Post 69996529)
That's not what MacT said. Here's his quote:

Nice quote. Pretty much substantiates the concerns expressed in the OP.

To add, after a shoulder injury and surgery I don't know that RNH is going to be hitting the ice running either. I doubt he recovers from shoulder injury as quickly, and as well, as Taylor Hall.

Really the worst possible result was RNH so quickly getting longterm sidelined so early in his NHL career. This being the result people worried about starting a kid who looked not physically ready for the NHL game so soon.

As mentioned the best plan for RNH would've been to have the surgery immediately after 2012 season(with looming lockout year anyway) forego last season, and have a year to recover and bulk up for a 13-14 start.

We'll see how long it takes RNH to get going.

Groucho 08-07-2013 08:46 AM

No we should probably tank again and get another top draft


YES we want to make the playoffs.

SK13 08-07-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 69997733)
We couldn't even do this last year when half our players had been playing for months against more established clubs coming into the season stone cold after a long lockout.

We had every advantage and didn't do anything with it.

And yet we did it twice when we wound up finishing as the worst team in the league.

We may have over-simplified our "advantages" last year. Maybe playing against AHL competition was less a running start, and more enabling bad habits against a class of lesser players. Maybe their energy level was depleted from months of bus trips. Upsetting their schedules and lives by moving them all to another city in another Country and then bringing them back - to play in the most bizarre season they will likely ever experience, without an NHL training camp under a new head coach, wasn't the best way to prepare for a sprint of a season.

Replacement 08-07-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK13 (Post 69998283)
And yet we did it twice when we wound up finishing as the worst team in the league.

We may have over-simplified our "advantages" last year. Maybe playing against AHL competition was less a running start, and more enabling bad habits against a class of lesser players.

I actually stated last year at the time that this is what was occurring in the AHL through much of the fall. Some of our star players were coasting against lesser opposition.

I think many of the other players treated gigs elsewhere as extended time off and getting a chance to see other locales. Instead of digging down deep.

archangel archangel 08-07-2013 10:26 AM

Sam Gagner has played 414 games and has never seen the playoffs. At some point in time the organization needs to start winning

Asher 08-07-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broilers (Post 69995351)
It is very obvious that RNH will start the season from IR and lose 12-25 games. 15 games is my evaluation. This leads to situation that one of our top 2 centers is practically speaking fourth liner (Lander) minor leaguer (Arcobello) or college player (Miller). If he is playing with Perron and Yak it not helping to get Perron to go in the new team and Yak elevate his game to top6 level.

It is crucial to get good start to make playoffs. I really hope that MacT is not planning to suck again high pick.

Viny Prospal is offensive forward who can play both LW and center. He might be a good solution to play with Hall and Eberle in the first line and when RNH will be back in the thir line with Hemsky and Boyd. He will come cheap he is still without work.

The title of this thread is misleading. Most people will think "we" refers to the fans, as I did when I first saw it. However, what you're really asking is whether or not management wants to make the playoffs. I think the answer to both questions is yes. Does management know how to make the playoffs? That would be the question that makes me wonder.

Tad Mikowsky 08-07-2013 10:34 AM

Before reading anything, this is probably the stupidest question ever asked.

What is the point of playing in the NHL, if you do not want to compete.

Utterly moronic.

Beerfish 08-07-2013 10:35 AM

Considering that other teams in this league each year make the playoffs with worse rosters and more injuries it is time for the oilers to put up. Nothing short of the playoffs will be an acceptable result.

Also re RNH, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the dopes had shut the guy down for surgery when they should have last year. But this is the oilers we are talking about. :shakehead

jukon 08-07-2013 11:44 AM

Yes.

/thread

T-Funk 08-07-2013 11:57 AM

With the Nuge thing, it seems like worst case scenario is Nov 1 and best case scenario is starting the season. This 2 month/3month fearmongering needs to stop.

As far as making the playoffs? No, why would we ever want to make the playoffs?

Everlasting 08-07-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerfish (Post 69999989)
Considering that other teams in this league each year make the playoffs with worse rosters and more injuries it is time for the oilers to put up. Nothing short of the playoffs will be an acceptable result.

Also re RNH, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the dopes had shut the guy down for surgery when they should have last year. But this is the oilers we are talking about. :shakehead

Uhm... no. Edmontons rooster have been pretty awful these last years. One of the worst in the league. Our best players have been kids :help:

Hockey Nightmare 08-07-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Do we really want to make playoffs?
No. It's some kind of NHL Stockholm Syndrome thing. We've been out of the playoffs so long we're beginning to love it!

gqmixmaster 08-07-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broilers (Post 69995351)
It is very obvious that RNH will start the season from IR and lose 12-25 games. 15 games is my evaluation. This leads to situation that one of our top 2 centers is practically speaking fourth liner (Lander) minor leaguer (Arcobello) or college player (Miller). If he is playing with Perron and Yak it not helping to get Perron to go in the new team and Yak elevate his game to top6 level.

It is crucial to get good start to make playoffs. I really hope that MacT is not planning to suck again high pick.

Viny Prospal is offensive forward who can play both LW and center. He might be a good solution to play with Hall and Eberle in the first line and when RNH will be back in the thir line with Hemsky and Boyd. He will come cheap he is still without work.

I fully support bringing Prospal in especially since he seems like a leader, he has experience, has won a cup and he needs a team. He would make a great option in the bottom 6 and as a fill in in the top 6 when injuries strike. We need more center depth, and a guy with the ability to play two positions up front always comes in handy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.