HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Matt Stajan and the Waiver Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14819)

McFly 09-27-2003 02:16 PM

Matt Stajan and the Waiver Draft

After the way Pat Quinn praised the play of Matt Stajan after the Ottawa game Fri night, I wonder how what happens in the waiver draft might affect his immediate future. It's a safe bet that Robert Reichel and Tom Fitzgerald will be left unprotected in the waiver draft. If one of those two players were mercifully picked up by another team, I think Matt Stajan will make the opening day roster. It's highly doubtful that Reichel will be picked up but some team out there, like a young rebuilding team may like Fitzgerald. If a spot opens up it may be Stajan's to take, not Alexei Ponikarovsky's. Quinn was really high on the way Stajan played in the 2-0 loss and it sounds like he wants him on the team, there's just no room for him, and that's too bad. It's a shame we have some dead weight and no way to shed it.

leaflover 09-27-2003 02:30 PM

I cant see there being any interest in either Reichel or Fitzgerald.Stajan spending a year on the rock is ok,he'll get the icetime he needs there.He and Ponikarovsky can be injury call-ups depending on whether its an offensive or defensive gritty type that needs to be replaced in the line-up.Ponikarovsky even last year i felt he deserved a spot on the 4th line based on his hustle and style of play.If i had been coach i most definately would have had him in the lineup in place of belak,fitzgerald,reichel,corson and for a time tucker as well.He always gives 100% and that carries alot of weight with me.

nordique 09-27-2003 04:15 PM

I could see Fitzgerald being claimed...terrific role player, good leader, reasonable salary.

wasting time 09-27-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w17glen
please waive berg,reichel fitzgerald ,renberg PLEEEEEZE
but noone will take them but us :mad:

Berg would be claimed for sure. Oh maybe not....

Can someone explain to me what the rules are about the waiver draft? If a player gets taken, does that team receive any form of compensation in return?

Epoch 09-27-2003 04:34 PM

Berg would be claimed,no doubt about that.

wasting time 09-27-2003 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w17glen
yeah by smith from chicago , he likes are x leafs that are foreign, except sullivan that was too small ( yeah right ) would'nt like to have him back

guys who say this crack me up. Sullivan is too small and not defensive enough for a bottom 2 line role, so he needs to be in the top 6. The only teams where he is going to be on the top 6 is on crappy teams - like Chicago. When he was put on waivers it was because NO ONE WANTED HIM - much like Nathan Dempsey. Smith picked him and dempsey and Korolev up because his team was so crappy that even these guys are an improvement. This kind of player transfer happens all the time. Sometimes you get lightning in a bottle - e.g. Sullivan who is reinvoragted on a new team - other times you get squat - most times you get squat.

Sullivan is good but has major downsides, including his size and defense - he is not good enough to play for the Leafs on a top line and not the kind of guy to fit on the bottom 2 lines.

Thanks for coming out.

wasting time 09-27-2003 05:01 PM

I dunno, looking at this team I really scratch my head regarding who you put on waivers because anyone I can think of offers some real value that another team would pick up on.

First, Kidd can't be put on waivers because he is injured, Belak, Fitx, Berg, would get picked up for sure - proven role players and cheap. Several AHL guys have shown some promise... I dunno...

I think you may see JF pull off a minor trade/shuffle of players just before the deadline next week to adjust his roster and not expose it so much in the waiver draft.