HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1481919)

Comic Book Guy* 08-08-2013 11:50 AM

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser
 
Why don't the Oilers acquire a guy like John Scott to play in the top 6?

Take a look at great coaches that have done this and it has yielded great results. Glen Sather put Dave Semenko, Essa Tikkanen and Marty McSorely to be boat anchors on Gretzky's wing and he did just fine.

John Scott stands at 6 foot 8 and weighs in at 270+ lbs.

Imagine a top 9 lineup of:

Scott - RNH - Yakupov
Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Perron - Lander - Hemsky

We would be a whole 6 foot 8 taller and now no one will mess with Nuge. It'll be like perpetually playing one man short for security reasons. Nuge is good enough to feed it off Scott's bum once in a while. He could be a 15 goal scorer.

:sarcasm:

REMEMBER KIDS: Height and weight = 2-way ability!

Nunymare 08-08-2013 12:00 PM

John Scott and "top six" don't belong in the same sentence...

Comic Book Guy* 08-08-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunymare (Post 70030757)
John Scott and "top six" don't belong in the same sentence...

But imagine if we had a coach that had the 'cajones' to put a guy who's clearly out of place in the Oilers top 6? Just imagine it for a sec and humour me...

Don't you think 80% of HfOil will get what they want? They want size on the wing? Check. They want toughness on the wing? Check.

OilerTyler 08-08-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy (Post 70030805)
But imagine if we had a coach that had the 'cajones' to put a guy who's clearly out of place in the Oilers top 6? Just imagine it for a sec and humour me...

Don't you think 80% of HfOil will get what they want? They want size on the wing? Check. They want toughness on the wing? Check.

We don't need to imagine anything. It's already happened.

http://wpmedia.blogs.theprovince.com/2011/11/quinn.jpg

I still have nightmares of the Jacques-Horcoff-Hemsky line

Beerfish 08-08-2013 12:11 PM

http://i.qkme.me/3to1es.jpg

Asher 08-08-2013 12:16 PM

"Glen Sather put Lee Fogolin, Dave Semenko, Essa Tikkanen and Marty McSorely to be boat anchors on Gretzky's wing and he did just fine."

I can't say I recall those years when Foggie was playing as a winger, McSorely played a regular shift on Gretzky's line (in EDM), and Tikkanen was a boat anchor.

The Last Dynasty 08-08-2013 12:17 PM

John Scott has 1 career NHL goal

O-N-E

Mike Brown looks like Crosby compared to this goon

this may be the worst idea ever

The Nuge 08-08-2013 12:20 PM

He has a career point per game of 0.02...

He also has a whopping 49 career points. And that's not 49 in the NHL... That's 49 in every league of his career.

He also has a total of 2 points in the last 3 year's

Bryanbryoil 08-08-2013 12:24 PM

I know that this is a sarcastic thread, but tell me that a guy like Lucic or even guys like Hartnell wouldn't look great in our top 6? My counter to this thread is why don't we acquire Nathan Gerbe to be our enforcer?

The Nuge 08-08-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 70031561)
I know that this is a sarcastic thread, but tell me that a guy like Lucic or even guys like Hartnell wouldn't look great in our top 6? My counter to this thread is why don't we acquire Nathan Gerbe to be our enforcer?

I know that's sarcasm, but I'd rather Gerbe be our enforcer than have Scott play top 6

Bryanbryoil 08-08-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 70031615)
I know that's sarcasm, but I'd rather Gerbe be our enforcer than have Scott play top 6

I suppose so because until Gerbe got laid the **** out by a guy like Scott you wouldn't have to see him stinking it up on the ice like you would Scott shift after shift. That said neither scenario would be pretty to say the least. Also IIRC hasn't Scott mostly played D the last few years anyway?

Paralyzer008 08-08-2013 01:28 PM

John Scott is not a top six player, whatsoever. Hardly an NHL player.























However, I hope Buffalo tries him in front of the net on the PP this year for kicks.

s7ark 08-08-2013 01:36 PM

Old thread was nearing 1000 so I made this the new proposal and rumour thread.

trent_vinyl 08-08-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 70031289)
"Glen Sather put Lee Fogolin, Dave Semenko, Essa Tikkanen and Marty McSorely to be boat anchors on Gretzky's wing and he did just fine."

I can't say I recall those years when Foggie was playing as a winger, McSorely played a regular shift on Gretzky's line (in EDM), and Tikkanen was a boat anchor.

Is the bolded part meant to be a question back to the original poster, because Tik was anything but a boat anchor. AND Fogolin never ever played on Gretzky's wing.

Asher 08-08-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trent_vinyl (Post 70034861)
Is the bolded part meant to be a question back to the original poster, because Tik was anything but a boat anchor. AND Fogolin never ever played on Gretzky's wing.

It was a sarcastic reply to what I assume was sarcastic comment. What I would say, however, is that players who have skill and play with an edge are a lot more valuable than players who lack either of those qualities and should be a priority for a team that's as easy to play against as this one. That's my biggest reason for liking the Nurse draft pick. He isn't just big, but big and skilled, and a mean SOB to boot. We need players like that on this team... badly.

Comic Book Guy* 08-08-2013 02:38 PM

Hemsky for Brouwer

duul 08-09-2013 12:11 AM

We are not going to compete without a defenceman capable of playing 25+ minutes a night mistake free.

I'd be willing to give up Eberle, Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin and first round picks, more players in order to get a #1. Pietrangelo, Keith, Weber, any true top defenceman. That is the biggest thing holding us back right now.

Smid-Pietrangelo
Ference-J.Schultz
Belov/N.Schultz-Petry

That is actually a defence capable of making the playoffs. What we have now is just not good enough. Our top 6 is already stacked and getting rid of Eberle is worth it to acquire a top defenceman.

OilerNut* 08-09-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duul (Post 70051371)
We are not going to compete without a defenceman capable of playing 25+ minutes a night mistake free.

I'd be willing to give up Eberle, Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin and first round picks, more players in order to get a #1. Pietrangelo, Keith, Weber, any true top defenceman. That is the biggest thing holding us back right now.

Smid-Pietrangelo
Ference-J.Schultz
Belov/N.Schultz-Petry

That is actually a defence capable of making the playoffs. What we have now is just not good enough. Our top 6 is already stacked and getting rid of Eberle is worth it to acquire a top defenceman.

You aren't going to get a guy who plays 25+ mins a night and never makes a mistake.

duul 08-09-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTavishing (Post 70051397)
You aren't going to get a guy who plays 25+ mins a night and never makes a mistake.

You know what I mean. A top defenceman who is capable of playing as many minutes you give him.

Keith in the playoffs should have won the Conn Smythe. One anecdote I can remember is that in the finals he was stuck out on the ice for 2 minutes straight. After he finally got off he took a 30 second break and was right back out there in the 3rd period playing something like 28 minutes a game.

Nobody on our team is capable of doing that, we need someone like that.

The Nuge 08-09-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 70032779)
I suppose so because until Gerbe got laid the **** out by a guy like Scott you wouldn't have to see him stinking it up on the ice like you would Scott shift after shift. That said neither scenario would be pretty to say the least. Also IIRC hasn't Scott mostly played D the last few years anyway?

He's played a bit of both IIRC. Mostly forward lately.

I'd probably pay to see that. 5'6, 170 lbs vs 6'8, 270 lbs...

Paralyzer008 08-09-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duul (Post 70051431)
You know what I mean. A top defenceman who is capable of playing as many minutes you give him.

Keith in the playoffs should have won the Conn Smythe. One anecdote I can remember is that in the finals he was stuck out on the ice for 2 minutes straight. After he finally got off he took a 30 second break and was right back out there in the 3rd period playing something like 28 minutes a game.

Nobody on our team is capable of doing that, we need someone like that.

Sure we need it, but it's basically impossible to get at this moment.

For now, I just want MacT to find a new home for Nick Schultz and find one more forward for line 3. If he does that, we sneak into the playoffs.

Bryanbryoil 08-09-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy (Post 70035997)
Hemsky for Brouwer

Yeah I'm sure that Washington would sign that trade request in their own blood if they had to because the value is definitely there for them..... :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 70052233)
He's played a bit of both IIRC. Mostly forward lately.

I'd probably pay to see that. 5'6, 170 lbs vs 6'8, 270 lbs...

Gerbe is a fiesty little guy, but if Scott could punch that low it'd be curtains for Gerbe! :laugh:

Philly85 08-09-2013 05:04 AM

John "Meathead" Scott... Sign me up

Fourier 08-09-2013 05:11 AM

Since Esa Tikkanen's name was brought up, all I can say is give me two Esa Tikanen's to add to this Oiler team one a LW and one a RW and you have a playoff team for sure. He is exactly what this team is missing.

Jimmi Jenkins 08-09-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy (Post 70035997)
Hemsky for Brouwer

I don't think Washington does that, maybe Joel Ward though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.