HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jobs for the flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1483245)

peacepipe 08-11-2013 12:11 PM

Jobs for the flyers

I went to temple but didnt finish because of hard to borderline degenerate partying. I want to go back and finish but I want to change majors and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of jobs would be possible to get within the organization. I know it's not realistic but more of a high goal to set for myself but I think I would truly love working for them in any capacity

DrinkFightFlyers 08-11-2013 01:16 PM

Probably need more than a bachelor's degree (unless you have a connection) to get anything other than a ticket sales position. I'd go with something business related and try to do an internship with them. This is just a complete shot in the dark type of scenario, don't really know what they are looking for. Just a guess.

A different route might be trying to get a job with their website. Learn how to design websites and major in something like Journalism. It won't pay a lot but it may be a way in the door. I interned for MSG in college because I knew a little about websites. It was the greatest job I ever had, even though my job was strictly NY sports related.

sobrien 08-11-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 70106445)
I went to temple but didnt finish because of hard to borderline degenerate partying. I want to go back and finish but I want to change majors and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of jobs would be possible to get within the organization. I know it's not realistic but more of a high goal to set for myself but I think I would truly love working for them in any capacity

Sports Management/Marketing

I have a degree in such and the job market is very bad at the moment. The Flyers' job openings are typically only college internships (so jump all over that **** if you're still in school). They had a Sales Associate position open up last season which I was invited to the group interview for, and didn't get a position.

Your Sports Management professors and teachers will likely tell you the best/easiest way into Sports is through ticket sales, and that's somewhat accurate, unless you have an internship and do really well...they may keep you for a job (still likely sales).

If you can, get a minor in Marketing, or Journalism, or something like that to give you another option to get into sports.

I've done internships with the Riversharks and Trenton Titans, interviewed with the Flyers, Mets, Pirates, Manchester Monarchs, Trenton Thunder, Riversharks (lolz), and others but to no avail.

Sports is basically an all-in job. You can't get your degree in it and bank on a job with the Flyers. You have to be prepared to move anywhere, for any sport, at any level. Classes are pretty cool. Jobs are awesome. Looking for a job sucks.

Good luck :)

DrinkFightFlyers 08-11-2013 02:30 PM

A good website I used to look at for sports jobs was http://teamworkonline.com/ for jobs all over the country.

zbryne 08-11-2013 02:45 PM

NHL jobs

Look what jobs are out there, find what direction you'd like to go and do it.

Prongo 08-11-2013 04:28 PM

Statistician is a good way to go. Every team needs several I'm pretty sure. Also maybe marketing and the financial side of the game. It's all about the money. If I was trying to work for them those would be the routes I would take. Statistician is probably your best bet.

dingbathero 08-11-2013 04:40 PM

Here you go...

Flyers have a posting:

http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/j...pcat=222#55428

Coppy 08-11-2013 06:21 PM

There really is no way to just jump right in and get a job with the Flyers. In the sports world (at least in hockey) you have to work your way up from the lower levels. If you want to break in, look first to the ECHL/AHL/Juniors level first.

You can try an internship with the Flyers, but Imo that route is actually worse than starting in the minor league levels. There is no guarantee it will lead to anything with the organization. You basically have to get lucky and be in the right place at the right time if there is ever an opening, even if there is, they still won't hand you the job. From what I've gathered from the Flyers Front Office, its a pretty stable work place. Very few people leave to go elsewhere, so there aren't a lot of opening.

I've been working in the ECHL for 2 years now and I interviewed for an open position with Flyers this summer. The person I spoke with there had been there for almost 7 years and had bosses who'd been there a lot longer.

You might want to look into a job with Front Row Marketing. They're owned by Comcast Spectacor, and have offices in the Wells Fargo Center. They help operate a bunch of different minor league teams and college athletic offices across the country (including the Phantoms). Its not the Flyers, but they are somewhat linked together and it could lead to something down the line.

peacepipe 08-12-2013 12:00 AM

Wow thanks for the info guys I am excited to finish my degree and make something useful out of myself haha. If anything cool happens i will share I'm on here all the time but don't post a whole lot

laundryman 08-12-2013 10:37 AM

I go to school at West Chester and I'm an English major. One of my professors last year told me she helped one of her students get an internship with the Flyers last year or the year before.

Basically you have to have the right major and jump on opportunities for internships whenever you can.

BernieParent 08-12-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 70106445)

Starting goaltender might be up for grabs after the coming season.

DrinkFightFlyers 08-12-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 70131347)
Starting goaltender might be up for grabs after the coming season.

Zing!

kjbhockey 08-12-2013 11:44 AM

Working for a hockey team isn't all it's cracked up to be. While it appears cool from the outside often times you'll be paid like a McDonald's employee because the demand the for the job is so high so they can afford to pay you next to nothing. I had a friend who worked for the Flyers and that was the information he passed along to me. It's nice for an internship but don't count on it as a long term job unless you want to live below the poverty line.