HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   JR rips fans (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=148356)

Laches 06-26-2005 11:38 AM

JR rips fans

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...97&hubName=nhl

We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey."

And the stupidity keeps on coming.....

Great way to save a floundering business. Cancel the season, then rip on the fans who speak up about it and tell them you don't want them there.

Team_Spirit 06-26-2005 11:47 AM

Best quote

Quote:

"Right now we look like a bunch of idiots...The deal in February beats the (expletive) out of the deal we're gonna sign in July."

True Blue 06-26-2005 11:47 AM

Yeah. One would think that the NHL and and the players would be doing anything to curry the favor of the fans again. Oh, well. Personally, I cannot wait to see some of the arenas host 2,500 people for opening night.

Fletch 06-26-2005 11:53 AM

Be careful what you wish for, Tb...

empty arenas would not be a good thing for the sport.

And by the way...I agree with Roenick 100%. People in here always say they'd be ecstatic to play the sport they'd love for less money than these guys...unfortunately, people in here do not have their talent or drive and are not in their shoes, and never will be. Getting to that level is extremely, extremely difficult. Then they're taken advantage of management every opportunity management has and they have little rights (and give it back when they get a chance, of course). Remember, hockey is a business, a multi-billion dollar business. This ain't the pee-wee leagues.

People fight for every penny - and it's their right.

FLYLine24 06-26-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laches

We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey."

Great way to save a floundering business. Cancel the season, then rip on the fans who speak up about it and tell them you don't want them there.

The PA didnt cancel the season, the Owners did.

GoneFullHextall 06-26-2005 12:18 PM

he speaks his mind. so what. He isnt speaking to all fans he is speaking to the fans who think that think all NHL players are all spoiled. Face it most fans have no clue to whats going on. they only ASSUME what is going on by what they read in the press. Players like JR play for the love of the game, he isnt selfish or anything like that. poeple dont like him because he runs his mouth. fine. He says what most players are afraid to say.

klingsor 06-26-2005 12:47 PM

I dunno, I'd think quotes like JR's about "certain" fans might increase road attendance for the Flyers.

not quite yoda 06-26-2005 01:27 PM

NHLPA Stupity List:

Goodenow (check) (we are not interested in a salary cap)
Mccabe (check) (we will sit out the rest of our lives)
Modano (check) (5 000$ a month won't even pay for my dog food)
Esche (check) (we wouldn't agree even if it was a 100M$ cap)
Roenick (check) (fans can kiss my ass)

Balej20* 06-26-2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Macho Man
NHLPA Stupity List:

Goodenow (check) (we are not interested in a salary cap)
Mccabe (check) (we will sit out the rest of our lives)
Modano (check) (5 000$ a month won't even pay for my dog food)
Esche (check) (we wouldn't agree even if it was a 100M$ cap)
Roenick (check) (fans can kiss my ass)

hahahah. Just be ready to have that post countered by an "NHL Stupidity list". Im sure someone on here with conjour up something.

not quite yoda 06-26-2005 01:49 PM

The NHL and the owners knew what they had to do to insure the long term viability of the League. The Cancelation of a season was necessary in order to get the right deal Otherwise the PA would have never accepted or realized the gravity of the situation as they have now. The PA was unwilling to make the necessary concessions back in February.

The NHL side did what they had to do. And they have won.

I am not impressed with the present generation of players. Their unwillingness to negotiate a CAP until 24 hours before the cancelation of the season is what caused the darkest day in NHL history.

dedalus 06-26-2005 03:07 PM

JR's got one thing going for him: he doesn't care WHO he angers. You'd better believe that Goodenow and Saskin are grinding their teeth into stubs reading what Roenick had to say about the next contract.

PS - I'd like to start a fund which would present a monetary gift to the first reporter who asks McCabe before the first game of the new season: "Oh! Brian! You're here???"

Balej20* 06-26-2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
PS - I'd like to start a fund which would present a monetary gift to the first reporter who asks McCabe before the first game of the new season: "Oh! Brian! You're here???"

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Onion Boy 06-26-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
The PA didnt cancel the season, the Owners did.

Agreed.

The players have made every single meaningful concession during this lockout. It's a shame some fans do not realize that or choose to ignore it.

While leadership on both sides has been questionable, all the blame for the lockout should fall squarely on the shoulders of one man, Gary Bettman. How he still has a job at this point is beyond me.

AG9NK35DT8* 06-26-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

[I]And the stupidity keeps on coming.....

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

kingpest19 06-26-2005 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb3599
Agreed.

The players have made every single meaningful concession during this lockout. It's a shame some fans do not realize that or choose to ignore it.

While leadership on both sides has been questionable, all the blame for the lockout should fall squarely on the shoulders of one man, Gary Bettman. How he still has a job at this point is beyond me.

i can see how some fans blame the players and then on the other hand portray the owners as the ones who had no hand in the situation. the owners didnt have to hand out contract like the yashin and holik deals but they did. the past few years have seen some questionable deals being offered and handed out and just not in hockey. Ill agree with the leadership issues as both sides have done some idiotic things. correct about bettman still having his job but the same can be said for goodenow. Both have made decision that have hurt the process. Any coincidence that things actually started to happen once these 2 werent in the meetings?

Fletch 06-26-2005 04:58 PM

Let's realize this...

McCabe, et al, said stupid things in the heat of a negotiation process. The converse was to keep their mouths shut or say they'd accept whatever the owners give them. There's three choices and they chose one. They lost. Big deal. Ten+ years ago, and years after, they won.

And for people who think the owners 'know' what 'had to be done to insure" long-term viability...poppycock! That's pure BS and naivity. This was more about Bettman righting a wrong he did to the owners way back when. This brings him out ahead in the owners' minds. It wasn't about viability. Yeah, the owners whined they're losin money....Lowe states he can't operate in this market...boo-hoo. It's was all a game...posturing...and the NHL and owners thought that they'd be able to hold-off longer than the players (they did build a significant war chest - which when you're losing so much money, I don't know how that's done), and thus were able to outlast them. Further, they played the public to a tee, many of whom turned on the players and felt bad for the owners...felt bad for the money-losing billionaires. Felt bad for Dolan, Snider and the rest.

They lost...big deal...move on. It was all part of a game anyways.

Brooklyn Ranger 06-26-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Come on Laches, you took that quote out of context. JR was referring to one type of fan who wants to stick it to every professional athlete because he (or she) can't live that dream. He's not talking about the fan that cares for the game, who goes to pre-season games to see the prospects, who goes to meaningless interleague games even though there's a foot of snow on the ground and he's certainly not talking about the fans who cheered him when he got up off the ice after taking a puck to the face at the Garden.

He's got a big mouth, but today he spoke the truth.

FlyersFan10* 06-26-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
JR's got one thing going for him: he doesn't care WHO he angers. You'd better believe that Goodenow and Saskin are grinding their teeth into stubs reading what Roenick had to say about the next contract.

And I think it's just more than Saskin and Goodenow. I think Roenick also ripped on the PA executive members. Can you picture what's going to happen when he sees someone like Trevor Linden or Bill Guerin or Vinny Damphousse across the ice? If we thought his hits on Modano or Svelha were dirty, I feel bad for those three. He's gonna hurt them real bad.

It's funny though that he's been the only one to speak out and no one has come after him from the PA. I think the PA are sitting scared because they're going to have to answer to the entire union brotherhood and you can bet heads will roll.

Fletch 06-26-2005 05:25 PM

He's going to hurt them?

I think it's more like he will be hurt. I'd think that Guerin, Linden and group are a bit more upset over Roenick's words as it undermines the positions in which they were elected and they'd be gunning for Roenick - and with his head - he's in for trouble.

dedalus 06-26-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

How [Bettman] still has a job at this point is beyond me.

Simple. He won. This is also why he'll still have his job while Goodenow is ushered out the door.

pld459666 06-26-2005 06:07 PM

a little confused here no?

Quote:

Agreed.

Bettman to the Owners - "You guys are losing money and the CBA is about to expire, if you trust me, we will walk out of this thing with a Salary cap linked to revenue"

the Owners to Bettman - "what do we have to give up??"

Bettman to the Owners - "One season, possibly more, but we will have a contract that will be a sound one"

Guess what Bettman got??

Salary cap, Linkage to League revenue and a kicker that I doubt he expected, a 24% rollback on all contracts.

If anyone should be out of a job it's Goodenow.

Goodenow to Bettman - "No Salary Cap and No linkage of Salary to Revenue"

Bettman to Goodenow - "We have to have a Salary Cap and Linkage"

Goodenow to Bettman - "No Salary Cap and No Linkage, but we offer a 24% rollback on all current contracts"

Bettman's eyes widen

Bettman to Goodenow - "That's a start, now we can set the salary cap and Linkage Percentage"

Goodenow - "No Cap No Linkage"

Bettman - "No Cap, No linkage = No season"

Goodenow - "*****, I'm fvkked now"

Goodenow to Bettman - "Salary Cap and Linkage and rollback"

NHLPA to Goodenow - "You're FIRED"

NHLPA to Mike Gartner - "You're Hired"

Owners to Bettman - "You get a raise and a new 5 year contratc and thank you very very much"

If anyone gets the ax it's Bob Goodenow because he wasted a year fighting against a cap with linkage that they will end up signing now. Additionally there's going to be a decent sized group of players that we have seen the last of.

Goodenow got schooled.

Fletch 06-26-2005 06:24 PM

Pld..

it didn't have to come to this. Without the wildcat expansion and lack of marketing of the NHL and hockey in general (perhaps if they spent the lockout fund to market the sport and its players) - maybe this situation doesn't happen. There could've been a season last year. Bettman needed to make up for all he lost on the last CBA to save his job. He did save his job, most likely, which is very, very bad for hockey. Be ready for little changes that increase the popularity of the sport or the quality of the game - as it has significantly decreased over the last 10 seasons, and only stands to decrease more. Further, be ready for decreased attendance, especially in expansion cities in which teams are not contenders.

Brooklyn Ranger 06-26-2005 06:30 PM

And let's not forget

While Bettman was "winning" this war, he is now sitting on a situation where the NHL is only guaranteed to have something like 8 regular season games and however many playoff games (5 was it?) on a national network in the United States. And there is absolutely no guaranteed revenue from it. Sure, ESPN will pick up a few games (I've read they are gunning for the same deal that NBC got, where they give up no money up front to the NHL) and stick them on ESPN2. But, a national contract, where games are available regularly on TV? Hah! Who needs that when you have a salary cap linked to revenue!

True Blue 06-26-2005 06:40 PM

Pld

But at what price did the "victory" come at? Hockey does not have nearly the fan base of baseball, and all it took for fans to come back were a decade, Sosa & Mcgwire & Ripken. Was the victory really worth coming back to a landscape in which hockey is not even the 5 most popular sport, but rather the (maybe) 8th or 10th most popular sport, behind bowling and the indoor football league?
Hockey was not popular in virtually all expansion teams. Now, after a year with no hockey, you really think those cities will thrive? Was victory really worth the loosing of major sponsors? How about the tv contract that they had?

Dedalus,

"Simple. He won. This is also why he'll still have his job while Goodenow is ushered out the door."

While I have no desire to rehash our many debates on the subject matter, I would only say that, IMO, anyone who had anything to do with the cancelation of the season, should have no part of the "new" NHL.

Fletch 06-26-2005 06:42 PM

Exactly BR...

of course people will use the lockout as the excuse to ESPN's change of minf - but they were looking to do a deal beforehand. ABC didn't want thim (which is owned by Disney, which owns ESPN). ESPN curtailed their productions. This was inevitable. Bettman concentrated on expanded into worthles hockey cities such as Nashville and Phoenix (but owners benefitted from this) at the expense of the betterment of the game. And this guy wins. And the owners win. Real shame.