HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Damien Brunner (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1483567)

SCBdude 08-12-2013 08:38 AM

Damien Brunner
 
A Swiss hockey news site writes that Damien Brunner could sign with the Preds.

Link

Would he fill a need on the team?

Seth Lake 08-12-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCBdude (Post 70128123)
A Swiss hockey news site writes that Damien Brunner could sign with the Preds.

Link

Would he fill a need on the team?

The article is citing this blog post from a non-credentialed site and therefore is not credible. I will leave thread thread open as a place to discuss Brunner's potential impact, but am changing the title.

Here is the original blog that is cited by the Swiss site:
http://predlines.com/2013/08/10/nash...amien-brunner/

kypredsfan 08-12-2013 09:55 AM

I thought he signed with NJ?

doug88 08-12-2013 10:32 AM

No, I don't see him playing for the Preds. He's a decent forward but his defensive play is too weak, he's a pure one-way forward and he's not involved in the defensive part of the game. That's why he wouldn't fit on a Barry Trotz team.
Plus there has been rumors that he would sign with the GSHC of the Swiss League.. Wait and see!

SCBdude 08-12-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 70128241)
The article is citing this blog post from a non-credentialed site and therefore is not credible. I will leave thread thread open as a place to discuss Brunner's potential impact, but am changing the title.

Here is the original blog that is cited by the Swiss site:
http://predlines.com/2013/08/10/nash...amien-brunner/

Ok did not know that the source was just a blog.

triggrman 08-12-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug88 (Post 70130633)
No, I don't see him playing for the Preds. He's a decent forward but his defensive play is too weak, he's a pure one-way forward and he's not involved in the defensive part of the game. That's why he wouldn't fit on a Barry Trotz team.
Plus there has been rumors that he would sign with the GSHC of the Swiss League.. Wait and see!

The defensive responsibilities with the Predators falls more on the centers, not wingers. Wingers can't chase the puck all around the zone like Radulov or have huge turnovers in the neutral zone like Wilson early on.

AintLifeGrand 08-12-2013 04:22 PM

Would love to have brunner on the team.

Brunner-Cullen-Hornqvist
Wilson- Legwand-Forsberg
Beck-Fisher-Smith
Bourque- Goose- Hendricks

Nystrom

worstfaceoffmanever 08-12-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kypredsfan (Post 70129779)
I thought he signed with NJ?

No, and considering the financial mess the Devils are in, he's not likely to.

I would really like to see Brunner in a Preds uniform, but management seems set with what we have. I'm starting to wonder if Brunner is headed back to Europe, because nobody is talking about him. It's like he doesn't even exist after leaving the Red Wings.

XxPRODxX 08-12-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand (Post 70140747)
Would love to have brunner on the team.

Brunner-Cullen-Hornqvist
Wilson- Legwand-Forsberg
Beck-Fisher-Smith
Bourque- Goose- Hendricks

Nystrom

Where is Stalberg

XxPRODxX 08-12-2013 04:36 PM

Too good to be true but Id love to see Brunner here with his fellow countryman Roman Josi. But I figured we'd get Grabo before him but who knows anymore.

If Brunner came to Nashville it would look like

Wilson-Fisher-Hornqvist
Brunner-Legwand-Stalberg
Bourque-Cullen-Forseberg
Nystrom-Gaustad-Smith/Beck

Scatched: Hendrick And Smith/Beck

PredsV82 08-12-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxPRODxX (Post 70141119)
Too good to be true but Id love to see Brunner here with his fellow countryman Roman Josi. But I figured we'd get Grabo before him but who knows anymore.

If Brunner came to Nashville it would look like

Wilson-Fisher-Hornqvist
Brunner-Legwand-Stalberg
Bourque-Cullen-Forseberg
Nystrom-Gaustad-Smith/Beck

Scatched: Hendrick And Smith/Beck


wouldnt mind Brunner either but the truth is we are not paying Hendricks to be a scratch and you forgot Clune

plus Smith nor Beck belongs on the 4th line... Smith would be better off traded and Beck would be better off in Milwaukee

We already need to unload Spaling and if we sign another forward we will almost certainly have to unload Smith as well, and have Beck start the year in Milwaukee

Pascal85 08-13-2013 02:12 AM

I dont think that anybody will pay Brunner 3 to 3.5 Million on a long term contract after only 44 NHL Games. Besides this he wants a guaranteed top 6 spot. Detroit, NJ and I guess neither the Preds are willing to pay / act like that. Since I saw him last week here in Switzerland i really think there is no "signing activity" right now in north america for him. Lets see where hes ending !

PredsV82 08-13-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal85 (Post 70157645)
I dont think that anybody will pay Brunner 3 to 3.5 Million on a long term contract after only 44 NHL Games. Besides this he wants a guaranteed top 6 spot. Detroit, NJ and I guess neither the Preds are willing to pay / act like that. Since I saw him last week here in Switzerland i really think there is no "signing activity" right now in north america for him. Lets see where hes ending !

If he wants to play in the NHL and make big money his best option is to sign a one or two year deal for reasonable money(2 million or so) and then prove he deserves a large contract.

ThirdManIn 08-13-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 70140901)
No, and considering the financial mess the Devils are in, he's not likely to.

I would really like to see Brunner in a Preds uniform, but management seems set with what we have. I'm starting to wonder if Brunner is headed back to Europe, because nobody is talking about him. It's like he doesn't even exist after leaving the Red Wings.

Finances may not be as much of an issue anymore.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1482497

torero 08-14-2013 06:06 PM

Brunner scored quite some nice points for his first NHL year !!

He had a nice 26 pts in 44 games. Best Red Wing scorer in Playoffs.
but he slumped for 25 games only scoring 2 goals.

the 26pts in 44 games includes the 25games drought he went trough.
Imagine that, during his desert period, he would score at the same rate than he use to in the other periods !!
+ his improvement in defense.

Who wouldn't take him for a 3 mio / 1 year !
I bet he is worth the risk.

ThirdManIn 08-14-2013 08:26 PM

But we don't have that kind of money to spend. We still have to include Forsberg against our cap, and we need a back up goalie.

PredsV82 08-15-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 70205215)
Brunner scored quite some nice points for his first NHL year !!

He had a nice 26 pts in 44 games. Best Red Wing scorer in Playoffs.
but he slumped for 25 games only scoring 2 goals.

the 26pts in 44 games includes the 25games drought he went trough.
Imagine that, during his desert period, he would score at the same rate than he use to in the other periods !!
+ his improvement in defense.

Who wouldn't take him for a 3 mio / 1 year !
I bet he is worth the risk.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 70209663)
But we don't have that kind of money to spend. We still have to include Forsberg against our cap, and we need a back up goalie.

we have the money (I think we are going with Hutton/Hellberg at backup as scary as it is) but what we dont have is a roster spot for a player on a one year deal. We would have to move a body out of the lineup (likely Bourque) to make room from Brunner and if he's only going to be here one year that doesnt make any sense. If we were on the verge of a Cup, maybe, but where we are as a franchise now I would much rather let Bourque or Beck have a development year than pay Brunner 3 million and watch him walk away next summer.

Iron Duke 08-15-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 70222125)
we have the money (I think we are going with Hutton/Hellberg at backup as scary as it is) but what we dont have is a roster spot for a player on a one year deal. We would have to move a body out of the lineup (likely Bourque) to make room from Brunner and if he's only going to be here one year that doesnt make any sense. If we were on the verge of a Cup, maybe, but where we are as a franchise now I would much rather let Bourque or Beck have a development year than pay Brunner 3 million and watch him walk away next summer.

Especially if you don't know whether the 2 goals in 25 games Brunner is actually the norm, rather than the exception.

torero 08-15-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Duke (Post 70229817)
Especially if you don't know whether the 2 goals in 25 games Brunner is actually the norm, rather than the exception.

This is why he has an "average" of 26 pts in 44 games.

around 60%. That would be the "expected return" ... based on historical stats.
The dispersion around this "expected return" would be your hypothesis.
(I know ... we mix up pts and goals here ... the principle remains)

My point is saying that the expected dispersion is reasonably skewed upwards due to the slump.
(remember it is his firs NHL year, and he played many more games than his mates ... having played in Switzerland ... the slump was mainly due to him being out of gaz, he was "put to rest (the slump)" and was ready for the playoffs where he ended best scorer of the Red Wings ... before Zetterberg and Datsyuk)

On top of that, he had some game winning SO goals that do not count in these stats.

Whatever ... we discuss on a hockey board for our pleasure ... Poile and the others are pros and have their specialised understandings on that.

101st_fan 08-16-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 70250151)
This is why he has an "average" of 26 pts in 44 games.

around 60%. That would be the "expected return" ... based on historical stats.
The dispersion around this "expected return" would be your hypothesis.
(I know ... we mix up pts and goals here ... the principle remains)

My point is saying that the expected dispersion is reasonably skewed upwards due to the slump.
(remember it is his firs NHL year, and he played many more games than his mates ... having played in Switzerland ... the slump was mainly due to him being out of gaz, he was "put to rest (the slump)" and was ready for the playoffs where he ended best scorer of the Red Wings ... before Zetterberg and Datsyuk)

On top of that, he had some game winning SO goals that do not count in these stats.

Whatever ... we discuss on a hockey board for our pleasure ... Poile and the others are pros and have their specialised understandings on that.

Brunner is in a similar situation that Smith was at the end of his first season. Both entered the league extremely hot with a 5-6 week long tear that accounted for most of their points. Then they cooled down dramatically. "Average" would indicate performance over time ... not what he did in one lockout shortened season.

Half of a season on North American ice is not a lot to base a long term contract on especially with how inconsistent that season was. There just isn't enough North American history with Brunner to justify a long term, high dollar contract.

Pascal85 09-04-2013 06:32 AM

Swiss Newspapers say that it is possible that Brunner will (at least temporarly) return to Zug in the Swiss League A..... Fact is he is in Zug, and he is doing pre-season practice in Zug....

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33987

adsfan 09-05-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 70209663)
But we don't have that kind of money to spend. We still have to include Forsberg against our cap, and we need a back up goalie.

Amen, TMI! If Pekka or Hutton gets hurt, the Preds can call up Hellberg for a few games. After that, who would play in Nashville or Milwaukee?

maplepred 09-08-2013 08:39 PM

Why not invite brunner to camp?

101st_fan 09-08-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maplepred (Post 70922621)
Why not invite brunner to camp?

Why invite a player to camp when the team currently cannot afford what it seems his asking price is?

Seth Lake 09-08-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maplepred (Post 70922621)
Why not invite brunner to camp?

Because he's training in Switzerland and is not going to attend a camp on an invite. He will await for a team to offer him a contract close to his terms or accept a one-year deal overseas eventually.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.