HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Stepan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1483781)

BVicious 08-12-2013 02:46 PM

Stepan

Ok I need some opinions here. What is going on with Stepans contract? How will the NYR be able to afford him with their current cap? And if a team were to offer sheet him, what would be the Max a NYR fan would be willing to match, keeping appropriate compinsation in mind.

I am a Calgary fan, and I have a man-crush on Stepans game. If I was Feaster I would throw a 3 yr, 5.25 million offer sheet at him, losing a 1st & 3rd round pick.

He must be asking for at least this in his demands. Yea? No?

Dactyl* 08-12-2013 03:02 PM

would have to be at least 6 million for the rangers to consider not matching. there are ways to play around with the cap. summer cap gives us some room. powe and asham stuffed in the minors and cally and hags on the IR to start the season gives us plenty of room to figure it out. stepan will not make 5 million. mcdonagh didnt make 5 million with arb rights. stepan will sign a 2 or 3 year bridge contract for under 4 million a year.

GAGLine 08-12-2013 03:05 PM

He isn't going to get anywhere near that. Look at what Giroux and Couture got on their 2nd contracts. That's a lot closer to what Stepan will get.

If Sather is only offering 2 years, expect the AAV to be about 2.875 per year. If he's offering 3 years, maybe 3.5 per year. Given our cap situation, I'm not sure Sather will offer 5 or more years. It depends on the number I guess.

We can fit up to about 4 mil without a problem (after demotions). After that, it will get tight, but we have enough money under the summer cap to match anything that isn't absolutely ridiculous, and then figure out how to get under the cap later.

MeowLeafs 08-12-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 70138493)
He isn't going to get anywhere near that. Look at what Giroux and Couture got on their 2nd contracts. That's a lot closer to what Stepan will get.

If Sather is only offering 2 years, expect the AAV to be about 2.875 per year. If he's offering 3 years, maybe 3.5 per year. Given our cap situation, I'm not sure Sather will offer 5 or more years. It depends on the number I guess.

We can fit up to about 4 mil without a problem (after demotions). After that, it will get tight, but we have enough money under the summer cap to match anything that isn't absolutely ridiculous, and then figure out how to get under the cap later.

Imo there's no way it'll be that low, I'm thinking if he gets a 2 or 3 year deal, it'll be at least 3.5 per year.

Miller Time NYR 08-12-2013 03:24 PM

Because this hasn't been discussed yet, hell sign a two year bridge deal for under 3 mill simple as that.

HooliganX2 08-12-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 (Post 70139069)
Because this hasn't been discussed yet, hell sign a two year bridge deal for under 3 mill simple as that.

No Chance he is under 3 million it'll be lucky if he's under 4 million a season.

blinkman360 08-12-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 (Post 70139069)

Seems like a bit of wishful thinking, TBH. Not saying he'll make crazy money, but I expect it to at least be over the $3M mark.

GAGLine 08-12-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowLeafs (Post 70138997)
Imo there's no way it'll be that low, I'm thinking if he gets a 2 or 3 year deal, it'll be at least 3.5 per year.

Couture got 2.875 per for 2 years. Giroux got 3.75 for 3 years. The first 2 years of Giroux's deal paid him 2.75 and 3.5 for an average of 3.125.

I see Stepan getting a little lower than what Giroux got.

GAGLine 08-12-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 70139151)
No Chance he is under 3 million it'll be lucky if he's under 4 million a season.

Lot of people said the same thing about Del Zotto and Subban last year.

Dactyl* 08-12-2013 03:32 PM

all these hf gms said mdz was getting 4+ million and look what happened. sather and gorton are very good with rfas. a lot of you will be very surprised. its gonna be 3.75 max on a bridge deal.

HooliganX2 08-12-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 70139219)
Couture got 2.875 per for 2 years. Giroux got 3.75 for 3 years. The first 2 years of Giroux's deal paid him 2.75 and 3.5 for an average of 3.125.

Stepan is the Rangers #1 center currently. Both Giroux and Couture had players ahead of them on the depth chart.

Johnny Hoxville 08-12-2013 03:33 PM

I to as a Calgary fan would easily offer Stepan the same deal, but we are going to be in the minority as many from our fan base feel our 1st is going to be a lotto pick.

pld459666 08-12-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVicious (Post 70137877)
Ok I need some opinions here. What is going on with Stepans contract? How will the NYR be able to afford him with their current cap? And if a team were to offer sheet him, what would be the Max a NYR fan would be willing to match, keeping appropriate compinsation in mind.

I am a Calgary fan, and I have a man-crush on Stepans game. If I was Feaster I would throw a 3 yr, 5.25 million offer sheet at him, losing a 1st & 3rd round pick.

He must be asking for at least this in his demands. Yea? No?

Stepan is not going to sign an offer-sheet for 3 years.

If you are going there with a guy like Stepan, you go big.

7 years at 5.5 or better

And still the Rangers match.

Dactyl* 08-12-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 70139303)
Stepan is the Rangers #1 center currently. Both Giroux and Couture had players ahead of them on the depth chart.

by this logic malkin shouldve made 5 million because hes got someone infront of him.

MeowLeafs 08-12-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 70139219)

Different situations.

Couture signed his contract after only 1 season under his belt. Giroux signed his contract before he broke out.

pld459666 08-12-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 70139151)

same was said about MDZ and Subban.

No way either guys signs for under 3 per

both guys signed for under 3 per.

:shakehead

Dactyl* 08-12-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowLeafs (Post 70139405)
Different situations.

Couture signed his contract after only 1 season under his belt. Giroux signed his contract before he broke out.

stepan will sign his contract with only half of an elite season under his belt

HooliganX2 08-12-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dactyl (Post 70139397)
by this logic malkin shouldve made 5 million because hes got someone infront of him.

Rangers fans overrate Stepan when it comes to trades yet when it comes to contracts he's only worth 2.8 million.

Stepan may get in the mid 3 million range on a bridge deal which a bargain for him. Stepan at worst is a 50 point center. UFA 50 point centers are 5 million a season. Last season he had 44 points in 48 games. Making him a potentially 70 point guy which would put him in the 6 million range as an UFA. I understand he is a RFA so at 3.5 to 3.8 million it's still a bargain for the Rangers.

MeowLeafs 08-12-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dactyl (Post 70139475)
stepan will sign his contract with only half of an elite season under his belt

Not elite. But anyways, Couture signed his after a very good rookie season (but still only 1 and a quarter season under his belt). Giroux signed his after 1.5 good seasons. Stepan will be signing his after 2 good seasons and a great shortened season.

pld459666 08-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 70139627)
Rangers fans overrate Stepan when it comes to trades yet when it comes to contracts he's only worth 2.8 million.

Stepan may get in the mid 3 million range on a bridge deal which a bargain for him. Stepan at worst is a 50 point center. UFA 50 point centers are 5 million a season. Last season he had 44 points in 48 games. Making him a potentially 70 point guy which would put him in the 6 million range as an UFA. I understand he is a RFA so at 3.5 to 3.8 million it's still a bargain for the Rangers.

It's not a matter of what he's worth.

It's a matter of what we can get away with paying him TODAY.

I would agree with your assessment 100%.

It has as much usefulness as teets on a bull when it comes to what can we get away with paying him today based on what's allowed under the CBA.

When the players hold the hammer, they swing it. When the team holds the hammer, they have every right to swing it as well.

The only way Stepan can hope to get more than 3 million per in a deal today is to find a team desperate enough to offer him stupid money the way the Flames did with ROR last year.

Otherwise, he's not getting paid based on value.

Once you can seperate that link in your head, the easier it will be to grasp the concept of limited to no leverage.

Dactyl* 08-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 70139627)

the key factor you are forgetting is slats. look at his previous 2nd contracts. its mind boggling how he got these guys dirt cheap. dubinsky held out for 1.7 million.

Trxjw 08-12-2013 03:47 PM

He'll get a reasonable amount on a 2 year bridge deal, just like most other RFA Rangers get when they have no arbitration rights. Rangers will bury guys like Asham and Powe if necessary to add more cap space. I can't see the Flames throwing around offer sheets that risk losing a possible top-3 selection either.

MeowLeafs 08-12-2013 03:51 PM

Has there been any indication on the length of the contract being negotiated? That is to say, a bridge contract vs a longer terms contract like McDonagh or Staal.

HooliganX2 08-12-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowLeafs (Post 70139911)
Has there been any indication on the length of the contract being negotiated? That is to say, a bridge contract vs a longer terms contract like McDonagh or Staal.

It almost has to be a bridge deal as the Rangers can't afford to give him a long term deal currently.

MeowLeafs 08-12-2013 03:56 PM

After doing some further research, if it's a two year bridge contract, it may be less then my initial 3.5m figure, but I still cannot see it being less then 3 million...not with the body of work he's shown so far.