HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prospect Info: Kristo has a strong worth ethic (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1483797)

Lundsanity30 08-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Since being drafted, some of the awards/accolades Danny Kristo has to his name are:NCAA All-Rookie Team (2010)Rookie of the Year (2010)Gold Medal at the WJC (2010) and a Bronze Medal at the World Championships (2013)Hobey Baker Award finalist (2013)WCHA First Team All-Star (2013)First Team All-American (2013)College Hockey Player of the Year (2013)
.....

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/...-a-work-ethic/

Lundsanity30 08-12-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Kristo has played with an against Derek Stepan for many years in Minnesota and Stepan told theRangers website*that Kristo is a guy who competes at a very high level, has speed and can score.The two developed chemistry while playing together at the 2010 World Juniors and Stepan said that he will work with Kristo the same way that veterans worked with him when he was a rookie.
Quote:

Hockey’s Future*wrote in March that Kristo played this season like a man on a mission and was able to be a leader and carry North Dakota on his back when he needed.In a 2008 article at*HF, Leslie Treff writes that the report on Kristo is that he is a very speedy player that has a high hockey IQ and excellent work ethic.
Quote:

In a 2009 article, prior to being a Freshman at North Dakota,*Western College Hockey*wrote that he is a “quintessential leader” who doesn’t have to score to make an impact.
[MOD Quote]

TheTakedown 08-12-2013 08:52 PM

Have a feeling this guy sticks and we'll finally be able to drop some of the dead weight off the roster

Green Blob* 08-12-2013 09:08 PM

Strong work ethic with a good skill set usually = a good NHL player. Plus he's played great hockey every season since hes been drafted. He's easily one of my favorite prospects we got and im pretty excited to see him at camp.

SupersonicMonkey* 08-12-2013 09:17 PM

What i like is the familiarity some of these players have with eachother prior to playing for the Rangers. Helps to create an environment where guys know and trust eachother.

district9 08-12-2013 11:23 PM

Best offseason move was trading Thomas for this kid. Can't wait for him to get called up.

Lundsanity30 08-12-2013 11:24 PM

Gorton was also behind this trade, that alone tells you right there it's a good move.

Lundsanity30 08-12-2013 11:25 PM

I wonder how long until we see the Kreider-Stepan-Kristo line in the near future.

haveandare 08-12-2013 11:30 PM

I was initially bummed to lose CT with his great shot, but this guy looks like he may be a better all around player in the long run. Very excited to see what he can do.

I Eat Crow 08-12-2013 11:49 PM

Thomas was great at shooting and stick handling, but not much else. It remains to be seen if he'd get bullied at the NHL level.

Kristo is the much better all around player. Doesn't have the shot or hands Thomas does, but he is much bigger and better at all other aspects of the game. I would wager that him or Fast are the starting 3rd line RW on opening day, and they'll take the spot and never look back.

aufheben 08-13-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 70147475)
Strong work ethic with a good skill set usually = a good NHL player. Plus he's played great hockey every season since hes been drafted. He's easily one of my favorite prospects we got and im pretty excited to see him at camp.

I'm just assuming he'll be good because Montreal traded him to us.

x BEUKEBOOM x 08-13-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aufheben (Post 70154065)
I'm just assuming he'll be good because Montreal traded him to us.

It's about time we started raiding the cupboards of good teams, instead of the Coyotes & Flames of the league.

Levitate 08-13-2013 11:31 AM

Why exactly did Montreal want to trade Kristo anyways?

Raspewtin 08-13-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 70163677)
Why exactly did Montreal want to trade Kristo anyways?

Maturity issues, partied a lot, and I don't think they were thrilled he stayed in college all 4 years (similar to McDonagh). I also heard he wanted out of the organization but IDR from where.

JohnC 08-13-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 70163677)
Why exactly did Montreal want to trade Kristo anyways?

Too tall

RangerBoy 08-13-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 70163677)
Why exactly did Montreal want to trade Kristo anyways?

Quote:

Next up, the New York Rangers traded Christian Thomas to Montreal for Danny Kristo straight up. In other words….they stole Kristo. All I've heard from Montreal scouts for the past two years is how concerned they are about his off-ice maturity and while his behavior during his freshman and sophomore seasons at North Dakota definitely gave just cause for such concern, his bout with frostbite (a consequence of his poor decisions) was a turning point for him. His focus off the ice has improved dramatically and it's been reflected by his performance on the ice. The thought of losing his toes and being unable to play hockey professionally was a ginormous wake up call and he's cleaned up his act. I thought this was in the past when Montreal signed him, but let this be a lesson to young hockey players every where…reputations are had to shake so make sure you earn a good one.

As far as New York is concerned, I think it's a great opportunity for both sides and Kristo will be very comfortable with guys like Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh and Bourque in the locker room. A comfortable Kristo is a confident Kristo and a confident Kristo is a successful Kristo. Huge win for the Rangers.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie...9#.UgpUAxYsrFI

Trxjw 08-13-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 70163677)
Why exactly did Montreal want to trade Kristo anyways?

Concerns about his maturity level. He was suspended a few times at NoDak for off-ice issues (partying, underage drinking) and there were some rumblings about entitlement issues. Though I haven't seen anything to confirm the latter.

I was a big fan of Thomas, but even for me, this trade was a head-scratcher. Kristo does everything Thomas does -- save for maybe that huge slap shot Thomas has-- but has more size and strength. There must have been something about Kristo that really put off Bergevin. Either that or Habs scouts were just madly in love with Thomas.

RangerBoy 08-13-2013 11:52 AM

Stepan is very good friends with Kristo

Chris Kreider interview at 5:45 discussing Danny Kristo

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videoce...=765&id=262693

The Mouth 08-13-2013 11:55 AM

HF's Leslie Treff was ecstatic with this trade.

vipernsx 08-13-2013 12:07 PM

Watching this kid on a few televised ND games and at the WJC, he played with a lot of compete. I've said before and I'll say again, he could be another Callahan type player. Kid's got a lot of heart and a good set of skills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 70163967)
I was a big fan of Thomas, but even for me, this trade was a head-scratcher. Kristo does everything Thomas does -- save for maybe that huge slap shot Thomas has-- but has more size and strength. There must have been something about Kristo that really put off Bergevin. Either that or Habs scouts were just madly in love with Thomas.

Same here, big fan of Thomas, though he doesn't have the size and I question if he's got enough speed to offset the size he lacks. These factors together may prevent him from reaching the NHL. Kristo on the other hand, is about as solid of a lock to see a kid make it as you can get. Sure Thomas has an elite shot, but Kristo has a decent one, solid play making, better size and he's probably the better skater of the two as well. Great deal for the Rangers, IMO, they fleeced Montreal again!

RGY 08-13-2013 12:19 PM

I know many fans on this board just completely hate sather and management but I think they have done a fine job with stockpiling the farm system over the past 3-4 years after the wave of callahan, dubinsky, staal, girardi, and anisimov graduated. They may not have elite players but sather has constantly made moves or his team has drafted some promising prospects for the NHL level. Sather has traded for McDonagh, Lindberg, and Kristo now, while the organization has drafted Kreider, Miller, Fasth, and Bourque (who I think will have a solid season in the AHL this year, just a hunch).

Kreider and McDonagh on the NHL squad.

Miller and Lindberg on the cusp.

Fasth and Kristo with some grooming in the AHL.

A lot of good depth imo. And it seems like these youngsters have some gritty worth ethic to them, especially a guy like Miller. It also says a lot about the character of Fasth to come back from the injuries in have the season he did in the SEL as well as Lindberg opening eyes and changing opinions of him being a 3rd/4th line player to a legitimate top 6 prospect.

Punxrocknyc19* 08-13-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGY (Post 70164755)
I know many fans on this board just completely hate sather and management but I think they have done a fine job with stockpiling the farm system over the past 3-4 years after the wave of callahan, dubinsky, staal, girardi, and anisimov graduated. They may not have elite players but sather has constantly made moves or his team has drafted some promising prospects for the NHL level. Sather has traded for McDonagh, Lindberg, and Kristo now, while the organization has drafted Kreider, Miller, Fasth, and Bourque (who I think will have a solid season in the AHL this year, just a hunch).

Kreider and McDonagh on the NHL squad.

Miller and Lindberg on the cusp.

Fasth and Kristo with some grooming in the AHL.

A lot of good depth imo. And it seems like these youngsters have some gritty worth ethic to them, especially a guy like Miller. It also says a lot about the character of Fasth to come back from the injuries in have the season he did in the SEL as well as Lindberg opening eyes and changing opinions of him being a 3rd/4th line player to a legitimate top 6 prospect.

I think Lindberg will be our version of Kris Draper when its all said and done or he can be another Sami Pahlsson which isnt too bad either.. on Bourque, this is a big year for him although i feel he will be the next player to be traded if he does not improve.... has not done much in his first 2 years in the AHL... a player like Andrew Yogan can surprise and maybe make the NHL as a Gregory Campbell type player. they also signed UFA like Kyle Jean (who could make it or be another Tommy Grant), and Marek Hrivik who Rangers management seems high on... not bad depth... i wish NYR had a legit big goal scoring power forward on the CT Whale.. most of their depth on the Wolfpack is likely as 3rd and 4th liners in NHL or the exception as a 2ed liner as (Miller, Kristo) if they make it as full time NHL in the future.. or Miller could be another Dubinsky (hopefully more consistent)

Riche16 08-13-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 70163677)
Why exactly did Montreal want to trade Kristo anyways?

They were throwing us a bone because of how fleeced we got in the McD trade.

Levitate 08-13-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipernsx (Post 70164399)
Same here, big fan of Thomas, though he doesn't have the size and I question if he's got enough speed to offset the size he lacks. These factors together may prevent him from reaching the NHL. Kristo on the other hand, is about as solid of a lock to see a kid make it as you can get. Sure Thomas has an elite shot, but Kristo has a decent one, solid play making, better size and he's probably the better skater of the two as well. Great deal for the Rangers, IMO, they fleeced Montreal again!

I liked Thomas as well but my impression of him was always that he might not have the extra skills he needed to use his shot effectively. Not quite shifty enough, not quite a good enough stickhandler, not quite good enough hockey sense...maybe those things could change or maybe I'm wrong, but he seems like he has pretty good all around skills and one really great skill, but it's to be seen whether he can put himself into position to use that great skill enough.

Rangers need some guys who can be possession players and Thomas doesn't seem like one of those players to me, while Kristo does.

eco's bones 08-13-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 70170209)
I liked Thomas as well but my impression of him was always that he might not have the extra skills he needed to use his shot effectively. Not quite shifty enough, not quite a good enough stickhandler, not quite good enough hockey sense...maybe those things could change or maybe I'm wrong, but he seems like he has pretty good all around skills and one really great skill, but it's to be seen whether he can put himself into position to use that great skill enough.

Rangers need some guys who can be possession players and Thomas doesn't seem like one of those players to me, while Kristo does.

With Thomas part of the thing was bloodlines. His dad Steve was a short stocky and very often gritty goal scorer. Christian seemed to have much the same qualities but maybe lacked the grit. One of the reasons his dad scored all those goals though was he'd get his nose dirty. A comparable these days might be Chris Kunitz. Anyway I think the Rangers got the better of the deal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.