HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1484173)

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:11 PM

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Im hoping they move the Rays to Montreal. The owner has expressed interest that. I bet that loser Selig would have something to say. Imagine this stadium downtown MTL. Imagine a boston montreal rivalry in the AL east! WOWOWOW

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/monbpk.htm

Bruinswillwin77 08-13-2013 12:13 PM

Be cool but I don't see it surpassing the rivalry with the Yankees. They're hated more then MTL teams.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:15 PM

It would make sense, Montreal playing TO, NY and BOS. There are many good fans in this city. Im praying this happens.

Bruinswillwin77 08-13-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrejciMVP (Post 70166073)
It would make sense, Montreal playing TO, NY and BOS. There are many good fans in this city. Im praying this happens.

It would be strange to me because the Rays are my secondary MLB team I cheer for and the first MLB game I went to was in Tampa. It would feel weird to cheer for a Montreal team.

Strik_IX 08-13-2013 12:22 PM

Letting the Expos leave was a HUGE mistake, if by any chance this is possible, I know that fan support will be off the charts.

Too bad he team's history is now in Washington though :(

Bruinswillwin77 08-13-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strik_IX (Post 70166273)
Letting the Expos leave was a HUGE mistake, if by any chance this is possible, I know that fan support will be off the charts.

Yeah, it would be the baseball version of the "new" Winnipeg Jets.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 (Post 70166159)
It would be strange to me because the Rays are my secondary MLB team I cheer for and the first MLB game I went to was in Tampa. It would feel weird to cheer for a Montreal team.

hahaha, I don`t think anyone in TB would notice the Rays were gone. The MLB owes MTL IMO, getting the devil rays squad would also make them an instant WS favorite.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strik_IX (Post 70166273)

This is an encouraging article by the Rays owner

http://www.businessinsider.com/rays-...ontreal-2013-6

HH 08-13-2013 12:28 PM

Yes.

If:

- In the AL East with rivalries with the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox
- Downtown open-air ballpark (the proposed location was perfect, 2 blocks from the Bell Centre)
- Owners willing to spend to keep their star players and get some free-agents to put the team over the top.

Rilvaries with the Braves and Phillies were nice and all but compared to what it could become against the Jays and Red Sox? Give the the AL East.

The Big O was a mess, terrible location and terrible place to watch a baseball game.

We also don't want to become the farm team of the other 29 MLB teams, would be a waste of time.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HH (Post 70166473)
Yes.

If:

- In the AL East with rivalries with the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox
- Downtown open-air ballpark (the proposed location was perfect, 2 blocks from the Bell Centre)
- Owners willing to spend to keep their star players and get some free-agents to put the team over the top.

Rilvaries with the Braves and Phillies were nice and all but compared to what it could become against the Jays and Red Sox? Give the the AL East.

The Big O was a mess, terrible location and terrible place to watch a baseball game.

We also don't want to become the farm team of the other 29 MLB teams, would be a waste of time.

Its such a trajedy how MLB let Selig and Loria steal the Expos away. They had the best farm systems in baseball. Baseball would be well suited to boot these too corrupt business men out of the game.

FranksterQc 08-13-2013 12:38 PM

Not with public money no.

Strik_IX 08-13-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrejciMVP (Post 70166623)
Its such a trajedy how MLB let Selig and Loria steal the Expos away. They had the best farm systems in baseball. Baseball would be well suited to boot these too corrupt business men out of the game.

Tell me about it, the Expos had tremendous attendance up to the strike, they were the favorites to win the WS and then it all unravelled... :(

As far as the article linked earlier, it's promising, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranksterQc (Post 70166771)
Not with public money no.

considering where much of our public money goes, Im happy to spend it on a baseball stadium which would actually bring some joy to the city.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strik_IX (Post 70166805)
Tell me about it, the Expos had tremendous attendance up to the strike, they were the favorites to win the WS and then it all unravelled... :(

As far as the article linked earlier, it's promising, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

can`t forget selling off the TV rights. I just can`t imagine how they were allowed to get away with that.

uiCk 08-13-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrejciMVP (Post 70166825)
considering where much of our public money goes, Im happy to spend it on a baseball stadium which would actually bring some joy to the city.

waste of money for the "joy" of small % of the population.

Bring em back with private money.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uiCk (Post 70166907)
waste of money for the "joy" of small % of the population.

Bring em back with private money.

Im really indifferent. As long as they come back. I would be attending 3-4 games a week if they had a downtown stadium.

De Montreal 08-13-2013 12:47 PM

There will be municipal electioons soon and I hope a journalist from montreal will ask the question to one of the candidate.

I know denis coderre is a big sports fan but :laugh:

pezcore 08-13-2013 12:54 PM

Im sure Montreal would welcome the Expos back but as long as Selig is alive im very doubtful.

Le Tricolore 08-13-2013 01:42 PM

Would be great. Then the only thing left would be to abolish that ****** designated hitter rule.

CaptainBenn 08-13-2013 02:00 PM

Meh
If it could help the Canadiens media-wise why not

Habs 4 Life 08-13-2013 02:13 PM

Absolutely, I'd easily go to 20+ games a year and takes the family. Especially if it's a new ball park with no roof

CrAzYNiNe 08-13-2013 02:14 PM

I continue to have this discussion with my friends, and I don't see if being feasible. Way too many games. I would maybe go to 20 games max a year, and I considered myself a big Expos fan before they moved. I just don't see them getting 10 000-15 000 people in the seats on week night games, especially against nobody teams.

HH 08-13-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe (Post 70169677)
I continue to have this discussion with my friends, and I don't see if being feasible. Way too many games. I would maybe go to 20 games max a year, and I considered myself a big Expos fan before they moved. I just don't see them getting 10 000-15 000 people in the seats on week night games, especially against nobody teams.

If you have a downtown stadium with no roof, trust me they would get 20,000 nightly in the summer and over 30,000 on weekends.

KrejciMVP 08-13-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HH (Post 70169715)
If you have a downtown stadium with no roof, trust me they would get 20,000 nightly in the summer and over 30,000 on weekends.

I agree, the new stadium would be such a great addition to the city. Imagine the boom in business at downtown restaurents as well. NY Boston and TO fans would all travel to see us and follow their teams. Remember, 36 of the 81 games would be vs division rivals.

CrAzYNiNe 08-13-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HH (Post 70169715)

What about in the years it takes to fund and build a new stadium? I can't see a new stadium in place before 2020 at the earliest. This city just isn't baseball crazy like it used to be. Does anyone have the numbers of minor league baseball in this city? All those baseball diamonds are becoming either dog parks or soccer fields. This city just won't care.